News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Post your PC specs! (The Performance Thread)  (Read 2670 times)

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Post your PC specs! (The Performance Thread)
« on: January 05, 2020, 10:50:14 am »
I'm looking to squeeze every last drop of processing power out of a semi-outdated Windows PC, which was manufactured circa 2010.

Specs:
HP Compaq 8000 Elite Convertible Mini-Tower
Mainboard: Hewlett-Packard 3647h
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500, 3.16 Ghz
RAM: 8 gb of DDR3 clocked at about 533 Mhz
GPU: PNY Nvidia Geforce GT 710 graphics card, with 2 gb ram
SPU: Whatever Realtek HD Audio came with it

For reference; running anything at 1080p is difficult for this graphics card, usually. I tend to stick with 720p or below. Would downgrading my OS to Windows 7 help, do you think, or is it just safer to stick with Windows 10? (I think it'd be safer to keep 10)

Any obvious bloatware that I can clear off the thing? Perhaps you could suggest a website that specializes in this sort of stuff. Maybe you know monitor settings which will make someone's life easier?

A general thread to just talk shop about Gaming PC's, if you will.

You may fire when ready, Gridley.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

aqualung

• View Profile
Re: Post your PC specs! (The Performance Thread)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2020, 02:51:10 pm »
Here's the computer I use more frequently (for retro emulation up to psx2, dreamcast, gamecube, etc):

CPU: Core 2 Duo E8400 stock speed (3.0ghz)
RAM: 4gb ddr2 667
GPU: gtx 650 OC 2gb ddr5
SPU: soundcard from the own motherboard (Biostar G31-M7 TE)
PSU: NOX Urano SX500

Then I have a few other "semi-completed" computers that lack some crucial component to be able to boot or be fully usable (ram, gpu, psu, etc). Most of them were handed over to me by relatives who bought a new computer or full pc cases found on the street.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2020, 08:54:18 pm »
It's a Dell Vostro 230 (circa 2010) with an upgraded graphics card, power supply, and a little extra RAM.

Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66 GHz
8 GB RAM
GTS 250
Plantronics Gamecom 777 USB sound thingy
Thermaltake TR2 600W PSU

It's time for a new one, I think; web browsing has become a bit of a chore.  I think I've already been pushing the system a little too hard and I would not at all like it if it were to suddenly crap out at an inopportune moment.  For some reason I've already had to replace the PSU twice; fortunately it was under warranty the first time.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Sliver X

• Laputan Machine
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 10:01:50 pm »
I have four PCs currently:

RyzenSun
Case: A gutted Dell Dimension 2400
650W PSU
Ryzen 2600 @ 3.8GHz
32GB DDR4-2133
GeForce 1060 6GB
250GB NVME
2TB NVME
4TB HDD
BD-ROM/DVD+RW
Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 LTSC + antiX Linux 19.1
Dualshock 1 acting as XInput device (Win)/PS3 controller(Lin)
27" Dell LCD (1920x1080 @ 144Hz)

ExaDrive 2 (Mini ITX HTPC)
Case: Apex MI-008
230W PSU
Core i3 2120 @ 3.3GHz
8GB DDR3-1333
GeForce 750 Ti 2GB
1TB SSD
2TB HDD
DVD+RW
Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 LTSC (Uses GameEX as the interface)
2x Dualshock 3s acting as XInput devices
48" cheapo "Proscan" LCD TV (1920x1080 @ 60Hz)

Ghostwheel (My old desktop, handed down to my kid)
Case: Cooler Master RC 310
500W PSU
Core i7 920 @ 3.6GHz
12GB DDR3-1333
GeForce 750 Ti 2GB
250GB SSD
1TB HDD
DVD+RW
Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 LTSC
Dualshock 1 acting as XInput device
21" Vizio LCD TV (1920x1080 @ 60Hz)

crawling.chaos (firewall/switch/access point/SCP file server)
Case: A whole-sale $70 Dell Optiplex 3010 I found on eBay
Pentium G640 @ 2.8GHz
4GB DDR3-1333
Onboard Intel Garbage Graphics (HD 2000?)
5x 1Gb NICs, 1x 802.11n USB WiFi Dongle
120GB SSD
1TB HDD
pfSense 2.4.4 (FreeBSD)

For reference; running anything at 1080p is difficult for this graphics card, usually. I tend to stick with 720p or below. Would downgrading my OS to Windows 7 help, do you think, or is it just safer to stick with Windows 10? (I think it'd be safer to keep 10)

Windows 7 goes End of Life this month. 10 is pretty creepy and getting progressively more user-hostile but the only other alternative is Windows 8.1 as of now (patches until 2023).

I would suggest Linux but it's most certainly not for everybody (I manage a Windows Domain for my day job but run Linux 90% of the time at home). It's come a long way over the past couple of decades, though, and runs a surprisingly large amount of Windows games thanks to projects like dxvk.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 12:10:51 am by Sliver X »

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 08:33:04 am »
Windows 7 goes End of Life this month. 10 is pretty creepy and getting progressively more user-hostile but the only other alternative is Windows 8.1 as of now (patches until 2023).

I would suggest Linux but it's most certainly not for everybody (I manage a Windows Domain for my day job but run Linux 90% of the time at home). It's come a long way over the past couple of decades, though, and runs a surprisingly large amount of Windows games thanks to projects like dxvk.

Oh, dang. Don't wanna go back to 7, then...

Can you think of anything offhand that I could do, software-wise, that would streamline my comp for gaming? The PSU won't handle anything with a power requirement greater than 300W, so as far as GPU, I'm kind of stuck. I've considered two major options:

- Switch to an equivalent AMD card and see if it performs better.
- Purchase four new sticks of RAM that are actually identical (the four that are in there are actually two at 667 Mhz and two at 545 Mhz, and all are used).

I guess I could probably do with another HDD by this point, as well, but once again, I'm limited by what my PSU can do.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 09:11:09 am »
Can you think of anything offhand that I could do, software-wise, that would streamline my comp for gaming?
As popular as that once was, I have the impression that no one really does that sort of thing anymore.

The PSU won't handle anything with a power requirement greater than 300W
So, get a new PSU?

Seems to me like SSD drives are the best way to get a big performance boost for your dollars.

Ghostwheel (My old desktop, handed down to my kid)
Ghostwheel seems to be disproportionately underused when it comes to computer names.

My ancient Celeron died almost two years ago and I have yet to replace it.  My efforts have thus far yielded two dead Pentium 4 systems and a third one that's mostly dead.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 11:58:32 am »
Oh, dang. Don't wanna go back to 7, then...

Can you think of anything offhand that I could do, software-wise, that would streamline my comp for gaming? The PSU won't handle anything with a power requirement greater than 300W, so as far as GPU, I'm kind of stuck. I've considered two major options:

- Switch to an equivalent AMD card and see if it performs better.
- Purchase four new sticks of RAM that are actually identical (the four that are in there are actually two at 667 Mhz and two at 545 Mhz, and all are used).

I guess I could probably do with another HDD by this point, as well, but once again, I'm limited by what my PSU can do.
Nah, you can put better GPUs in there, people put GTX 1050 in these HP PCs with low power PSUs. E.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnBMkOO34Nk

If you want to be careful, a less power demanding GT 1030 will already outperform your current GPU by ~4x times as per benchmarks.
I'd rather save a bit of money though, at this point you could probably get a much better total system used and put a new GPU in there.

So, get a new PSU?

His HP machine might have propietary connectors, which means you can't easily replace it without an adapter. These exist, I don't recall how easy or difficult they are to find.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 12:17:23 pm by Starscream »

Sliver X

• Laputan Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 09:59:37 pm »
I'm running a GeForce 750 Ti off a 250W PSU: Any card that draws power directly from the PCI-E slot is going to be pretty low wattage.

I ran a GT 1030 in that machine for a while, and it was about half the speed of the 750 Ti. I don't think it would be a bad pairing at all with an 8000 series Core 2 Duo. Even the (non-Fermi rebrand) version of the GT 730 would smoke a GT 710.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 12:31:16 am »
I ran a GT 1030 in that machine for a while, and it was about half the speed of the 750 Ti. I don't think it would be a bad pairing at all with an 8000 series Core 2 Duo. Even the (non-Fermi rebrand) version of the GT 730 would smoke a GT 710.

So a semi-modest upgrade to the GPU is totally possible is what you're saying?

Sliver X

• Laputan Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 10:38:26 pm »
As Starscream mentioned, upgrading your GPU and/or putting in a solid state would be tremendous upgrades to your existing hardware.

I would probably go with a GeForce 1050 Ti (Around $130); A 1030 is around $80 but the 1050 is like literally four times as fast, making the 1030 really bad value for money. Video card pricing is also asinine and insane these days for older cards (People are trying to sell a 750 Ti for $200 on Amazon; good luck with that? I paid less than $150 for both of the ones I own, five and three years ago respectively).

As far as the SSD, you can literally get a 120GB SATA 2.5" SSD from a reputable company for about $20 nowadays. It's the kind of upgrade where you can't imagine ever going back once you've used it. Use it for your OS and PC games; it's also nice for ISO based emulation as it virtually eliminates micro-stutter from running off a HDD. Paired with a larger mechanical HDD for movies, music and non-optical ROM formats is an ideal balance between performance and cost.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 10:59:34 pm by Sliver X »

thr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 10:55:23 am »
So a semi-modest upgrade to the GPU is totally possible is what you're saying?
since you're using a mini-tower PC case, you'll need to watch out for clearance issues if you're thinking of plugging in one of those modern GPUs. a 10x0 GPU is much larger than what you have now, and might simply not fit. so check the physical dimensions before you try to upgrade.

Ghostwheel seems to be disproportionately underused when it comes to computer names.
i have a nerdy, cliche habit of naming all PCs in my home network using names of AIs from popular fiction. Ghostwheel is an old Dell business lappy.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 05:39:25 pm »
Seems to me like SSD drives are the best way to get a big performance boost for your dollars.

Sorry about necroposting...but just today I have actually taken the plunge and purchased a SanDisk Extreme 500 Solid State Drive.

Boy, you weren't kidding! This thing will run Final Fantasy 8 through RetroArch at 2x Internal Res like a knife thru butter!

Very not bad.

cralso

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 07:14:29 pm »
Core i3 (1st gen), RAM 4gb DDR3, GT 610 1gb, Windows 7 x86

I can't emulate PS2 (pcsx2) or PSP (ppsspp) at full speed, ie, without filter, and original resolution I have a "normal" emulation speed, however have some fps drops, so is not good.
I wonder why, ie, I guessed my specs must be enough to emulate ps2 at full speed in 720p, no?

Someone has told me that can play PSP without problem on a 2006 laptop, while my specs are 2013~ >:(
However he says is using a Linux system :huh:

Maybe I need check later with Windows XP? :P

Let me know what you think folks, where are able to emulate PS2 with good fps?

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 12:49:06 am »
Ryzen 5 3600, 16gb G.Skill RAM, Radeon RX580, a 500gb Samsung 860 EVO, a 2tb seagate of some sort, all on W10

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2020, 04:26:14 pm »
Someone has told me that can play PSP without problem on a 2006 laptop, while my specs are 2013~ >:(
However he says is using a Linux system :huh:

Maybe I need check later with Windows XP?
If you think it will help, you should be able to run Linux from a bootable USB drive without having to make any persistent changes to your system.

I expect your GT 610 does not have XP drivers.

Sliver X

• Laputan Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2020, 07:48:13 pm »
I did some upgrades over the past couple of months:

RyzenSun
Case: A gutted Dell Dimension 2400 Coolermaster N200
650W PSU
Ryzen 2600 @ 3.8GHz Ryzen 5 3600X @ 4.2GHz
32GB DDR4-2133 32GB DDR4-3200
GeForce 1060 6GB GeForce RTX 2070 Super
250GB NVME
2TB NVME
4TB HDD
BD-ROM/DVD+RW
Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 LTSC + antiX Linux 19.2
Dualshock 1 acting as XInput device (Win)/PS3 controller(Lin)
27" Dell LCD (1920x1080 @ 144Hz)

ExaDrive 2 (Mini ITX HTPC) Ceres (Mini ITX HTPC)
Case: Apex MI-008 Silverstone ML07
230W PSU 350W SFX PSU
Core i3 2120 @ 3.3GHz Core i3 9100F @ 4GHz
8GB DDR3-1333 16GB DDR4-2400
GeForce 750 Ti 2GB GeForce GTX 1650 Super
1TB SSD
2TB HDD 4TB HDD
DVD+RW
Windows 10 Enterprise 1809 LTSC (Uses GameEX as the interface)
2x Dualshock 3s acting as XInput devices 4x Switch Pro Controllers acting as XInput devices
48" cheapo "Proscan" LCD TV (1920x1080 @ 60Hz)

Now I have several video cards, hard drives and other bits of crap I guess I need to sell on eBay or throw in a drawer in the hopes of actually using any of it someday.

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2020, 01:30:55 pm »
If you think it will help, you should be able to run Linux from a bootable USB drive without having to make any persistent changes to your system.

I expect your GT 610 does not have XP drivers.

There are drivers for that card, Nvidia kept XP support longer than AMD. That card is just very slow by today's standards,  and the CPU not good enough for demanding games in PCSX2 either.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2020, 05:22:09 pm »
My Laptop, colloquially known as "Unit1", or "Pain in the ass to boot :laugh:"

MSI Stealth Thin Laptop
CPU: Intel Core i7 8750H, Six cores, 897.8 MHz
Memory: 16GB DDR4 RAM
HDD: Drive C: 143GB, Drive D:72GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060, 6GB GDDR V5
Display: Intel UHD Graphics 630, 1920x1080 max res, 144Hz refresh(clocked down to 60 for compatabiity.)
Keyboard: MSI Per key RGB Keyboard + SteelSeries Engine 3 (It lights up!)
Mouse :Logitech G203 Prodigy Gaming Mouse(It also lights up!)

All in all I really like my laptop, when it runs, it runs quite well. It can handle pretty much anything I throw at it on mid to high settings with barely a hiccup, and even CEMU runs fine with some tweaks.

The only problem I have with the thing is that it likes to boot into sleep mode for some godforsaken reason and can get stuck that way if I don't mash the spacebar to jolt it out fast enough, oh, and also the touchpad got damaged somehow, so I have to use a mouse now, which isn't much of a concession since it's more accurate anyways.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 05:33:01 pm by SleepyFist »
Sleepy's Album of the week|| Chicken Wings - Monikaze || https://youtu.be/11IKI36yDoo

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 09:40:32 am »
I bought my last desktop in 2011 and since then I've always upgraded it, in 2021 I buy a brand new one, specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz (4.6GHz overclocked)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 Ti Amp Extreme Edition 11GB
SSD: SanDisk Extreme 240GB
Memory: G.SKILL TridentX DDR3 2133Mhz 4x8GB (32GB)

Bonus, my case:

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 11:05:50 pm by darthvaderx »

Lenophis

• IRC Staff
  • The return of the sombrero!
    • View Profile
    • Slick Productions
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 11:25:50 am »

https://ff6randomizer.codeplex.com/ - Randomize your FF6 experience!