News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Strush [PC-98] [Translation] [5-22-20: First Patch Release]  (Read 7602 times)

Aluminiumi

• View Profile
Strush [PC-98] [Translation] [5-22-20: First Patch Release]
« on: December 20, 2019, 05:08:35 pm »
Hello all, I am but a drifting raft in the great sea of romhacking.

My goal:
I wanted to work on something to hone my translation skills, so I've dedicated myself to translating Strush, an adventure game that definitely has eeeeecchi stuff embedded in it. (Just look at the cover!)

What is Strush?
From what I've played and know so far, Strush is a 1991 PC-98 adventure game by Orange House that follows the story of Shinobu Aiba, a somewhat agreeable detective that's investigating why students from an elite high school have been disappearing. Enlisted by student council president Rika Izumi to look into the disappearances, Shinobu goes undercover at the school and navigates relationships, coverups, and scandals, all while a formidable woman from his past seems to follow his every move.

The story is told like a slow-burning romance story, so there's a lot of text and options to explore (and loads to translate).

Here's the first shot of the game: (edit: Thanks MandatoryPixel for the photo help!)

And here's a shot of a menu screen:

My process:
I have previously posted here, asking about how to edit text in the floppy disk files, but the way I've been doing it (load floppy disks in hex editor, keep script/translations in Word doc) has been working efficiently so far, plus it's nice and simple for a newbie like me.

There are text limitations, i.e. the translations I generate have to fit within a certain, often short, length of text. (You can see that clearly in the second picture; the menu text space is only four characters on this screen.) Thus, this is a great translation challenge for me to keep my translations interesting, precise, and within that limited space. There are probably ways to increase the character limits, but at the moment I'm not too interested in that :D

I've been chugging along these last few months translating (currently at 100 pages of script + translations, maybe a half hour of gameplay), and wanted to let you guys be privy to my efforts. I also want to let people know that PC-98 games are still being translated! (I hear it's a pretty obscure system/library of games.)
So that's all for now, let me know your thoughts!

-Aluminiumi

(P.S. Special thanks to my brother for setting up the patch and introducing me to the game.)

Updates
5-22-20: Patch #1
I'm excited to announce the first translation patch for Strush! This patch starts from the beginning until the end of Shinobu's first day undercover at the high school. You can access it here.

Also included is a detailed spreadsheet of the script, translation, and glossary that I used. Take a look if you're curious about my reasoning for a lot of translation choices.

Any and all critiques are welcome!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 02:03:40 pm by Aluminiumi »

SleepyFist

• View Profile
Re: Strush [PC-98] [Translation]
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 09:57:32 am »
Nice, I'll be keeping an eye on this one, good luck.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| Chicken Wings - Monikaze || https://youtu.be/11IKI36yDoo

MandatoryPixel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 04:40:05 am »
Your images aren't working because you're linking to albums rather than directly to the images. I grabbed the links you need! Surround these with the "img" formatting boxes and they should work fine. :)

First shot: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49249696993_b42424b17a_z.jpg

Menu: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49250394542_85a02f828c_z.jpg

Good luck with the project!

Tyrantnyx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 09:54:25 am »
It's always great to see more PC-98 translations and adventure game translations, so I'm really looking forward to this.

drauch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2019, 11:34:04 am »
Always awesome to see anything different from the norm, especially PC-98 stuff. Looking forward to it!

Aluminiumi

• View Profile
Re: Strush [PC-98] [Translation] [First Patch Release]
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 08:07:26 pm »
First patch released today! See first post in thread.
Any and all critiques are welcome!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:55:53 am by Aluminiumi »

BabaJeanmel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 11:35:09 am »
Always nice to see some new PC-98 projects. Thanks for your dedication ! I'll give it a look ASAP  :)

kuoushi

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • 46 OkuMen
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 11:40:51 pm »
First up, great work on getting through all that you've done so far! PC-98 games are always worthy of translation.

Second, just going to post some tools that will potentially make your job a lot easier, since apparently you are editing the disk images in a hex editor.

PC-98 games came on floppy disks, and as such, had generally had separate files in them. Not sure if you're working from the floppies or the hard disk image, but in either case, you can extract the files from the images work on them directly rather than working on the image as a whole, then drop those files back into the disk whenever you have updates to them. Working on the individual files should clear up a lot of the clutter of memorizing where these specific sets of text are located in the disk image, and it'll be easier to avoid errors.

Try using either DiskEdit (standard) or ND to open and get the files you need from the disk images.

This will also help when you want to make a full release patch later, in that you can create patches that target only these files rather than the entire disk, because you can't guarantee that everyone's disk image is the exact same one you have, but you can guarantee that the files inside will be. One tool for creating such a patch is Pachy98 from 46 OkuMen.

Edit: Took a quick glance, and it appears all of your text will be found in the *.BIN files.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 12:40:42 am by kuoushi »

Aluminiumi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 12:06:33 pm »
@kuoushi Hey, so I've opened up the image in ND, and I can see all the files, but opening up .bin files is a bit harder than I thought.

I find that the extract tool in ND doesn't do much of anything, and while I can copy the .bin files and put them somewhere else, I'm not able to open them.

Is there a specific program I can use to extract and edit the text? I've found a weird program called PowerISO, but somehow it doesn't support these .bin files.

(Side notes: The disk files have the extension .d88, which I assume is the hard disk image? Also, when I used DiskEdit, I could not open the image whatsoever.)

meunierd

• View Profile
Re: Strush [PC-98] [Translation] [5-22-20: First Patch Release]
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 01:14:39 pm »
They're just binaries, so all the standard ROM hacking tools apply. It's likely encoded as S-JIS which should make your life easier.

d88 are floppy disk images afaik.

Aluminiumi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 09:15:55 pm »
Thanks you guys - I'll give it a shot  ;)

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 09:33:43 pm »
If the text is encoded in Shift-JIS, what you really need is a Shift-JIS to ACSII hack. That'll double the amount of space available for the script by virtue of the way the script is encoded. 1 byte per character as opposed to 2 bytes per character.

kuoushi

• View Profile
    • 46 OkuMen
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2020, 09:56:56 pm »
To tag on to one of the unanswered questions, a d88 file is a floppy disk image.

Also, you can just edit these *.BIN files in the same manner you were doing before (in a hex editor presumably), but having the files out of the disk just makes it much easier from an organization standpoint. Easier to tell what means what, what's important to the lines themselves outside of the actual text, and even what all actually needs translation.

And just judging from the screenshots, it already looks like she's inserting half width characters, so no extra hack necessary for supporting ASCII, but I may be wrong.

Edit: Whoops, sorry↓
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 12:50:18 am by kuoushi »

Aluminiumi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 11:38:20 pm »
Easier to tell what means what, what's important to the lines themselves outside of the actual text, and even what all actually needs translation.

Do you mean being able to pull up specific CGs and such? I can see why extracting the files would be helpful for releasing patches, but I'm not sure what it means on the organizational end.

And also yeah, the hex editor has been pretty kind to me - I can overwrite the S-JIS characters with half-width ones with no problem.

And just judging from the screenshots, it already looks like she's inserting half width characters, so no extra hack necessary for supporting ASCII, but I may be wrong.

Just throwing that out there! :thumbsup:

kuoushi

• View Profile
    • 46 OkuMen
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 08:13:06 am »
When I say better organization, I mean you can look at the BIN files and see which ones you've done and have a better idea of how far through the project you are. You can mark them as done and know you don't have to do anymore of them, things like that. Also, you know that when you open a file in your hexeditor, it's only going to be showing you the text in that file as opposed to a bunch of unrelated bits from other parts of the disk.

That's what I mean by better organization in general. Nothing like, groundbreaking or anything, just small quality of life improvements to your workflow hopefully.