News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Problems trying to figure out how to change a character's name  (Read 677 times)

Soul Reaper

• View Profile
Problems trying to figure out how to change a character's name
« on: December 15, 2019, 06:30:33 pm »
Hey so I've been working on translating this game, Soul Eater Monotone Princess on the wii, and this is my first game to try to rom hack on. I've posted on here once before about issues I've been dealing with on a certain text and am still trying to figure out and learn how to try and fix that one.

But now I am here today to talk about another thing I've been having problems with figuring out, and that is how to change a character's name.

I've been looking around the past few days searching using relative value scan's on about 50-100 files on this main character named Soul (or ソウル in japanese for the game) and I would find some results every now and then but it was always just someone using his name in a text.

Here is a link to information I found on changing a profile of a character:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sOg90Tex776f0Z3BpY-nh1aT6AiN-zb2EQutpkJNjNI/edit?usp=sharing

Now this character's name is 死神様 from the link right above. But now if I change mk[7] to mk[10], 死神様 will now be changed to シュタイン. Which this is now the name of another character in this game named Stein in english.

But with that information I am still clueless on how I can change their japanese names to english.

Here is a picture of the main folders I got after I scrubbed it, if it helps:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jkU6pjl9iFLKWcTGC1Uzx0emCXoK8Eh0IJMFKqZ-LgM/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 02:17:48 am by Soul Reaper »

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Problems trying to figure out how to change a character's name
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 06:48:23 pm »
Character names tend to happen in 3 different ways in a game, assuming it is some flavour of text engine and not graphics.

1) Standard text in which conventional text hacking works.
2) Some kind of variable in the game/text box/markup/formatting. This is especially common in things where you have the name of the character at the top of the text box. This is also where I find you tend to see graphics the most as well for a non graphical text game.
3) For games where you can choose your own name then it will be a save stored variable as they have to store it somewhere by whatever means, can be a different encoding as well.

It will still be in the game somewhere and it is slightly odd to see a character name in text like you mention, though that is just bad form in coding rather than an actual oddity. Said somewhere else however might well be buried deep within the binary, or in a really weird location. At this point I would probably look at tracing/assembly to follow the code on back up (if it has to read a value and do some operations it will look different to normal text parsing so should be easy enough to pinpoint and follow on up through. I don't know what more long winded or less reliable method I might have is going to be here -- for the assembly thing you need not know the quirks of each instruction either, just follow along until you find where it plucks it from memory and then search the ROM for that or trace that memory you just found back to where it came in or gets edited next time, you could even try editing the script if you know a simple value change changes the resulting character and see what it does differently.

Soul Reaper

• View Profile
Re: Problems trying to figure out how to change a character's name
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 04:00:52 am »
In my case, it turns out that the names are stored as images weirdly enough. Haha Cx
But thank you!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 04:08:10 am by Soul Reaper »