News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ganbare Goemon 2 (SNES)  (Read 116854 times)

mz

• Whore
    • View Profile
Re: Ganbare Goemon 2 (SNES)
« Reply #200 on: December 22, 2019, 11:03:41 am »
a grammar mistake so elementary
A grammar mistake according to what?

"Go for It! Goemon" is a wrong translation error
A translation error according to what?

Those are honest questions.

You seem to have found the absolute translation manual and the definitive grammar book of a finished language written by a perfect authority, so I'm interested in knowing what are your sources.

In any case, the English language is still alive and evolving. One should only care about style. If the author prefers it that way, you'll have to accept it, or write your own shit; the most popular version will survive longer, and the other one will be seen as incorrect grammar/translation by future people like you who thinks that grammar is fixed forever. Maybe your own son will see one day "Go for It! Goemon" as the only correct translation and will be ashamed by your posts.
There has to be a better life.

Recapnation

• View Profile
    • postback.geedorah.com
« Reply #201 on: December 22, 2019, 04:02:26 pm »
A grammar mistake according to what?
A translation error according to what?

Those are honest questions.

You seem to have found the absolute translation manual and the definitive grammar book of a finished language written by a perfect authority, so I'm interested in knowing what are your sources.

[Laughs] To the whole world? Take your pick:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=grammar%2Bvocative&

In any case, the English language is still alive and evolving. One should only care about style. If the author prefers it that way, you'll have to accept it, or write your own shit; the most popular version will survive longer, and the other one will be seen as incorrect grammar/translation by future people like you who thinks that grammar is fixed forever. Maybe your own son will see one day "Go for It! Goemon" as the only correct translation and will be ashamed by your posts.

Well, maybe (?). At the present time, though, I myself feel ashamed by those lines of yours and I'm not even your neighbour. But hey, it's all about "style", so whatever.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 04:09:05 pm by Recapnation »

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 22, 2019, 05:01:11 pm »

That's so ridiculous. Why don't we all just write everything in slang then? Or l33t sp33k? They are making a valid argument that "Go for it! Goemon" is incorrect grammatically and it's incorrect as a translation. It's looks "prettier", but it's an incorrect sentence structure.

Personally I would leave it as Ganbare Goemon, since people are already familiar with that name and not everything needs to be translated. Sort of how Ninja Gaiden was called that way instead of Ninja Side Story or something.