News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What is the worst RPG you have ever played?  (Read 26391 times)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: What is the worst RPG you have ever played?
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2020, 12:39:09 am »
I only ever played Dragon Slayer on NES. But even then, It was still pretty bad. Movement mechanics alone could drive any sane gamer into rage quitting after their 5th death or so.
I don't think it was ported to the NES? Are you thinking of something else?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

foiopaulo

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2020, 09:43:48 am »
Lagoon, for SNES. Played it when I was 6-8, but couldn't get it.
Then, older and wiser, gave it a second try.
It didn't worked. It's horrible.

The Moogle Master

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2020, 12:06:18 pm »
Lagoon, for SNES. Played it when I was 6-8, but couldn't get it.
Then, older and wiser, gave it a second try.
It didn't worked. It's horrible.

I agree, Lagoon is pretty much bad. 7th Saga! Ugh, no comment.

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2020, 10:06:43 pm »
I tried to play 7th Saga on a whim some years back, but just couldn't, I can't even clearly remember what turned me away but it had to have been bad.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| Chicken Wings - Monikaze || https://youtu.be/11IKI36yDoo

BitVyper

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2020, 02:38:00 pm »
I'll definitely agree with 7th Saga and Hydlide as candidates.  For that matter, I remember playing Beyond the Beyond for all of an hour before my flesh started to mummify out of sheer boredom.

I have mixed feelings about the Breath of Fire series as a whole.  There's a lot of pretty art and good music in them, and very emotionally charged plots, but goddamn do they ever have some tedious gameplay.  I tried to stream 3 for some friends and I had to quit when they wanted me to play that damned rope minigame for the second time to get friggin vinegar.  VINEGAR! It kills me.  BoF2 is my favourite (especially with that one big remaster/retranslation hack), but man does being able to crank up the frameskip ever improve it over playing on SNES.  The first part of the game is basically just walking back and forth across the world map with slightly different group configurations ten million times.  Now I just need a hack that lets me kill... *him*.  You know who.

Games that just flat out suck don't bother me too much because it's easy to not play them.  Games that have a ton of potential but still suck make me furious.  Star Ocean is a big offender here for me.  I know, it's beloved by many, but whew, there's not a single game in that series that doesn't physically hurt me.  They all start so promising, just enough to pull you in and make you see this beautiful space opera horizon, but then every single one turns into a horrific grindfest where you have to constantly check guides and weigh everything you do against which characters you want to have in your party, and advancing the plot always feels like a huge chore where you're just hunting the right sequence of nondescript NPCs to make the next cutscene happen.  They want to be stories that adapt to how you play, but if you try to play them organically, you end up shutting yourself off from all the bits you actually want to see while the methods to get to those bits are absolutely Byzantine.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2020, 04:57:25 am »
BoF2 is my favourite [...]  Now I just need a hack that lets me kill... *him*.  You know who.
No I don't. Who ? The fake Jean ?

Games that just flat out suck don't bother me too much because it's easy to not play them.  Games that have a ton of potential but still suck make me furious.
You got a point here !

Star Ocean is a big offender here for me.  I know, it's beloved by many, but whew, there's not a single game in that series that doesn't physically hurt me.
I can't say for the others, but the SNES game I fully agree with you. It looks gorgeous, has great music, etc... But the battle system is awful and the dugneons are confusing and labyrinthesque as hell.

In the cathegory of games who are 50% masterpiece and 50% shit, there's also Tactics Ogre for the SNES. It's hard to put my feelings in words, but basically : So much wasted potential ! I love the music, graphics how the games plays out and feels in general. The story is greatly developped with twists, however I don't like how there's 3 paths, and the ending is bound to completely suck if you made a single mistake in the middle of the game, that you are almost guaranteed to do if you don't play with a guide. Basically it's walthrough obligatory. Also the progression is shitty as hell, basically the only way to play the game confortably (i.e. not having the enemies owning you very quickly) is to have your character throw stones at eachother in training sessions hours, hours and hours long. Or to use cheat codes.

The GBA sequel suffers from similar issues.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 05:45:33 am by Bregalad »

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2020, 08:17:34 am »
That goes purely for the SNES version, or the game on any platform?
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

BitVyper

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2020, 11:50:36 am »
No I don't. Who ? The fake Jean ?

Tigger.  Tiga.  The tiger dude who wants to make Katt marry him and you just randomly have a really usatisfyingly unwinnable fight with.  I can turn into a dragon and he's a sex pest! Let me bite him in half!

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2020, 01:01:29 pm »
 I don't know guys, Star Ocean on PS2 and PS3 were ok in my opinion. Hell, even The Second Story on PSX was a big enough game to be interesting at the very least.  :P
Insert "Witty Text" here.

Giga571

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2020, 02:29:01 pm »
I'm probably a bit of a unique case for this thread. I played Bravely Default and loved it, though I will agree that it dragged a bit after chapter 4; I basically just ignored the rest of the game's world and had a 16 fight long boss rush against the crystal bosses, effectively speedrunning the game until I got to unique content again, though I did miss the Conjurer job. I played Final Fantasy 2 on PSP, and while it's not the best, it's certainly not the worst. No, the worst RPG I've played (and beaten) has got to be Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest. However, it's my favourite game on the SNES, as well, because nostalgia. The glitches, using Life on the Minotaur, Exit on the Skullrus Rex and Stone Golem, completely ignoring the blind and poison statuses due to their overall irrelevance, buying 99 seeds and declaring the game beaten then and there, using Cure on the Dark King with Benjamin, baby's first sequence breaks in the Bone Dungeon, Rockman 4 Minus Infinity's Wily Machine using FF:MQ's Battle 3 for its music, with that perfect buildup as 29 health bars of 28 energy each fill at exponential speeds... it's just a wellspring of good memories, for me.

However, I will admit that Mystic Quest is not a good game. It's boring, to say the least. You can't be surprised by random encounters unless you specifically ignore key items in two of the game's twelve dungeons, which do nothing more than making enemy encounters visible. Speaking of which, enemy encounters are barely random at all. Each unique overworld sprite holds a table of two to three encounter sets, there is absolutely no damage variance; the only random parts of enemy encounters are the set of up to three monsters you'll fight, and which attacks they'll use out of their set pool. However, even this holds some hidden gems. I'm still amazed by the fact that max HP of all things is a deciding factor of how much damage enemies will do with their attacks. Max HP divided by either 16 or 8, plus a value unique to that move, plus the monster's ATK, with the final result multiplied by either 2, 1.5, or 1, and a flat subtraction of the player's DEF. Still, even without knowing the damage formulas like I do, the game is way too easy. Making it to the other side of an encounter only ever boils down to either knowing the weakness of whatever you're fighting, or knowing what your highest damage option is. Trees, turtles and worms are weak to axes, slimes and eyeballs are weak to bombs, flying things are weak to bows, scorpions are weak to fire, etc. If you don't already know what this is, the automatic partner character will show you. They don't gain experience, and just join your party at the recommended maximum level for that area. Eight partner switches for twelve dungeons. This also means that the player's avatar, Benjamin (according to the US manual) is the weakest party member you'll have, despite the fact that he's the only one that can actually organically grow throughout the game. Bosses being nothing more than damage sponges that only provide a challenge when you're severely underleveled doesn't help that.

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2020, 04:34:59 pm »
Two Worlds one and two were pretty bad. I mean come on let's make Oblivion clones,strip everything that was good (and even average) out of the games than ship them in an unfinished mess. Bonus points for the creepy relationship the main toon has with his sister.  I actually finished both games  :banghead: Don't ask me why
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2020, 08:56:12 pm »
Didn't do 1 and from what I can see deserved the stick it got but I will stand up for Two Worlds 2. Indeed while it does not join the ranks of the best things I played on the 360 it does join the second tier Euro RPG ranks along with the likes of the Risen series, Venetica and the like which places it ahead of many other things (including the likes of Dragon Age Origins for me, and I would far rather play this than Fable but it seems I just don't like Fable).
Had some nice set pieces, some interesting quests, combat provided you did not cheese range detection was good as far as these things go (unforgiving maybe but that is not necessarily a bad thing), progression was not bad (far from the best but had some nice additions as things went on/you levelled up), the combinatorial magic thing was actually pretty good and far better than I normally see in such things (though I managed to unbalance it a bit). As far as the main character's sister goes she seemed more or less forgotten after the opening scenes, as was the main story setup (not that I minded too much as the quests I thought were pretty good) and by the time you got to the second island legitimately I would probably have struggled to tell you what it was.
I would go so far as to recommend it to people that rinsed the system of other games and like the concept, and reckon it has a few positive lessons to teach game devs to this day. At the time it managed the reasonable feat of keeping me up until the early hours.

For it to rank among the worst things you have played you either have some really bad luck in picking games, don't do the Euro RPG thing (they are often quite different to Japanese and US takes on the matter), or have not played so many games. Don't know if it ever resolved the update thing it had on PC (some years after the fact it got an update that added almost pay to win elements to the game).

Ryan914

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2020, 05:19:44 pm »
Maka Maka, and only because of the insane amount of bugs the game is riddled with. Story wise it isn't a bad game and the enemy designs are over the top, it's just the mechanics of the entire game that are crap.

StarWyvwern

• View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2020, 11:24:09 pm »
Maka Maka, and only because of the insane amount of bugs the game is riddled with. Story wise it isn't a bad game and the enemy designs are over the top, it's just the mechanics of the entire game that are crap.

If mechanics is the only issue, why not get someone to find a similar game to port the sprites and story into. that would solve the problem of bad mechanics.

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2020, 03:11:19 pm »
For it to rank among the worst things you have played you either have some really bad luck in picking games, don't do the Euro RPG thing (they are often quite different to Japanese and US takes on the matter), or have not played so many games.
Actually I've been playing games since probably 1978 (yes I remember the Odyssey and puting the plastic game screens on my big wood gain console TV) I also tend to favor RPGs, however in retrospect I don't remember playing any "European" developed RPGs. I actually had to Google that and read a couple lists. I have heard of some but never played. If two worlds is a benchmark of mid 2000s European RPGs no thank you sir. Playing them instead of The Elder Scrolls is like playing Bubzy instead of Mario. Plus I tried to think outside the box, eveyone knows Hydlide and Quest 64. (Which I cited earlier.)
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

thr

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2020, 11:57:01 pm »
Actually I've been playing games since probably 1978 (yes I remember the Odyssey and puting the plastic game screens on my big wood gain console TV) I also tend to favor RPGs, however in retrospect I don't remember playing any "European" developed RPGs. I actually had to Google that and read a couple lists. I have heard of some but never played. If two worlds is a benchmark of mid 2000s European RPGs no thank you sir. Playing them instead of The Elder Scrolls is like playing Bubzy instead of Mario. Plus I tried to think outside the box, eveyone knows Hydlide and Quest 64. (Which I cited earlier.)
you do realise the Witcher is an European RPG from mid 2000s, don't you?
And Elder Scrolls? I'll take some of the worst European RPGs over this cookie-cutter, copy-pasted, grindy, banal, overgrown mess that's your average Elder Scrolls deal. people still can't properly fix Morrowind game world with their thousand mods, and it's been 20 years since it came out, and that's considering Morrowind was arguably the best game in the series.
Elder Scrolls games make fun sandboxes, sure, but if that's your pinnacle of gaming art, then it does look like you've just been skimming the surface of what the genre has to offer.

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2020, 12:11:26 pm »
Don't get buthurt, I was using Oblivion as a comparison of Two Worlds. Besides everyone knows the actual pinnacle of gaming was the Phillips CDI.

Sliver X

• EX•CINERIBVS•IGNIS•EXCITABITVR
    • View Profile
    • Panicus - A Fragment of Memory
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2020, 11:04:35 am »
I don't know guys, Star Ocean on PS2 and PS3 were ok in my opinion. Hell, even The Second Story on PSX was a big enough game to be interesting at the very least.  :P

I bought Star Ocean - Second Story in 1998, and maybe got 15 hours into it before I tried to take it back to the store. They wouldn't let me do a return, so I just ate the $40 of 1998 money and outright gave it away to a friend of mine and bought Xenogears.

Boring story, uninteresting characters, lame battle system, grindy as fuck and don't even get me started on its tedious crafting system (I blame this game for making me avoid crafting in any game that has such a system). It did have a nice soundtrack, though?

StarWyvwern

• View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2020, 08:52:55 pm »
I bought Star Ocean - Second Story in 1998, and maybe got 15 hours into it before I tried to take it back to the store. They wouldn't let me do a return, so I just ate the $40 of 1998 money and outright gave it away to a friend of mine and bought Xenogears.

Boring story, uninteresting characters, lame battle system, grindy as fuck and don't even get me started on its tedious crafting system (I blame this game for making me avoid crafting in any game that has such a system). It did have a nice soundtrack, though?

More or less you're right. It was time consuming. But there are alot of games with super tedious crafting and skill leveling and equipment leveling: Persona 2? Entire Tales Series!? Still, I was really just trying to get the point across that the game had depth (Maybe too much lol). The newer Star Oceans have better battle systems and story, AND graphics and music. Hydlide and Dragon's Lair still stand, in my opinion, as worst games ever...  :beer:

XDel

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2020, 05:10:58 am »
Either Hydlide or Final Fantasy Adventure