News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What is the worst RPG you have ever played?  (Read 20152 times)

Nightwolf

• View Profile
Re: What is the worst RPG you have ever played?
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2020, 11:43:53 am »
not the worst but definately the most disappointed by me was Ni no Kuni. Hate the combat system and the unnecesary pokemon thing... :<

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2020, 12:49:26 pm »
Like I said try to find any worse than Hydlide and Super Hydlide
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

Phaxuji

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2020, 07:22:05 pm »
FF9 is a masterpiece

We just don't agree.  Stating something is a masterpiece doesn't make it so.  I thought it was atrocious.  We can have opinions and your appeal to authority ("I'm not alone on this") doesn't resonate with me.

Chrono Cross and Legend of Mana are also very acclaimed games by at least some people. For example in LOM the gameplay is mediocre, but the graphics and music are gorgeous, and the game is definitely playable and enjoyable.

Never said that Chrono Cross and Legend of Mana were bad games.  I said they were disappointing (which, if we're appealing to authority, many people felt the same way).  I don't feel like CC or LoM are bad games but I do think they were not what people hoped for in a sequel.

Just to give you an idea what a bad game is (I'm not talking about a game that isn't perfect, I'm talking about a game that is pure shit), because it doesn't seem you ever played any.

Now a personal attack.  You really get upset when people say things you disagree with, don't you?  Some people need coddling I suppose.

For instance FF2 is playable until about halfway before being completely broken and unplayable due to uneven difficulty curve and key items filling your inventory prohibiting you from using any other items (the unplayable part starts about when you have to take a boat and Layla joins your party).

That's something we can agree on.  I think the reason that FF2 was passed over for being brought to the US was because it wouldn't have done nearly as well as the original FF.  Although I'm extremely thankful for the hacking community since some hacks have turned out to be superior to the original game.  It's pretty cool that great games can be made even better and crap games can be fixed.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Quest 64.  Lots of people trashed that game when it came out.  I thought it definitely was quite lacking in many areas but the elemental magic system and arena-like combat was pretty interesting.  I've played worse, that's for sure.

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2020, 07:35:33 pm »
Hm.  I guess I haven't played that many bad RPGs, I guess I just tend to heed people's warnings on that sort of thing.

Here's something a bit out of left field: the Voya Nui Online Game.  VNOG was a Flash RPG in the Bionicle universe, where you get to play as a Toa, saving the island.  It shouldn't be that hard to make an RPG about biomechanical robots slinging elemental magic around feel good... but it just turned into so many fetch quests with a weird stat system and it wouldn't even save your game properly half the time.  It's a pity, too, I thought it had some good ideas with the combat system.  Should have been so much better than it was.

Kallisto

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2020, 02:59:47 pm »
Legend of Dragoon.

Not because of the story

But because of the damn combo execution which is annoying sometimes.

Noside

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2020, 04:59:04 pm »
Hydlide (NES) I was expecting an excellent game judging from the box art, I remember renting it just once when I was a kid.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2020, 07:34:27 pm »
We just don't agree.  Stating something is a masterpiece doesn't make it so.  I thought it was atrocious.  We can have opinions and your appeal to authority ("I'm not alone on this") doesn't resonate with me.

That's an appeal to popularity though. Not saying he's right
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

StarWyvwern

• Family first, then gaming and music.
    • View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2020, 07:41:20 pm »
 Hydlide. Worst RPG Ever.  :(
Insert "Witty Text" here.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2020, 03:16:29 am »
Never said that Chrono Cross and Legend of Mana were bad games.  I said they were disappointing [...].
I agree they're disapointing, compared to their respective prequels. However they are, very very far from the worst RPG we have ever played so I fail to see why you mention them.

A good way to know if a game is appreciated by the general public (and not just somebody in particular) (what you seem to refer to as "authority") is to look at Gamefaqs reviews and Mobgames' Moby-score feature. In order to claim a RPG is one of the worst we ever played, it needs to score very low by those measure, not just some random guy in the internet saying "this game suxxx".

Now a personal attack.  You really get upset when people say things you disagree with, don't you?  Some people need coddling I suppose.
Why in the world are you saying that ?! Not only did I absolutely not get upset, but also I never did any personal attack. I just politely said I disagreed and explained with arguments. Your attemps to artificially create flame wars and troll people in order to have a good laugh will simply not work with me.

Starscream

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2020, 11:17:53 am »
A good way to know if a game is appreciated by the general public (and not just somebody in particular) (what you seem to refer to as "authority") is to look at Gamefaqs reviews and Mobgames' Moby-score feature. In order to claim a RPG is one of the worst we ever played, it needs to score very low by those measure, not just some random guy in the internet saying "this game suxxx".

That's just you trying to impose your interpretation of the question and your view of particular gaming sites as some sort of pseudo objective standard here on this thread. I would already question the use of the word "general public" here when considering their audience even if I'd (hypothetically) be accepting the premise of such a consenus being the implication of the question posed.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 11:43:49 am by Starscream »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2020, 01:57:27 pm »
I'm not trying to impose anything and I just listed the gaming sites I use but if you use others it's fine too. What I mean is that if you claim game XXX is the worst game ever, you better have a significant part of the reviews (not just 1 or 2) which agree with you, or else you're just a troll. Where the reviews are from doesn't matter.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2020, 03:22:21 pm »
I think the question is "What is the worst experience you've ever had playing an RPG?" I don't think it's that interesting to put up a question concerning what the objectively worst RPG on earth is, because firstly, that would give a lot of the same answers and secondly, it doesn't exist.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

StarWyvwern

• View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2020, 11:27:25 am »
 Notably, "worst RPG ever" could also be interpreted "Least Favorite RPG".  ;)

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2020, 03:19:57 pm »
Someone posted something that disagrees vehemently... In other news, the sun came up today ;)

Sure, I guess the very nature of 'worst RPG **you** have ever played' would tend to be very opinion based, and I apologize for not making that readily apparent in the topic title and OP. The old saying goes, 'there's no accounting for taste.' One person might think "Final Fantasy VI? Whatever, that game totally blows" and another might feel it's the best RPG ever put to code.

To each their own. Though, I have to say:

the question being asked here is what is the worst RPG of all time,

Not the topic title.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Uberdubie

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2020, 09:19:31 pm »
Jade Cocoon 2 for PS2.

Not sure if it's literally the worst or not (if not it's close), but certainly most disappointing experience I've ever had playing an RPG.  Its 'prequel' Jade Cocoon on PS1 was an incredible game that innovated in some big ways not seen since, and is a solid RPG even if it hadn't incorporated those incredibly fun and unique mechanics.  Many compare it to Pokemon because you capture monsters and use them to fight for you, but this game not only did so much more than that, it also isn't meant for young children.  You play as the main human character in battles, and summon the monsters you later collect in battle.  The monsters you capture can then be COMBINED... in every sense of the word.  While it's been compared to Pokemon's evolutions, this game's version of "evolution" leads to your very own unique creation that is formed strategically by the player.  Doing so will combine any 2 monster's stats, average-out their level, combine their elemental affinities, mix specific moves they used (sometimes get new ones), and best of all -- THEIR PHYSICAL APPEARANCE is mixed 50/50 from the two you started with.  One monster will have their shape/model used in the combined form, and the other will have the skin/texture featured in the combined form, sometimes with additional slight mutations in color and shape.  Then each combined monster you make can be combined with more, creating a completely unique 'family-tree' of sorts, granting the player a unique fleet of monsters right down to their physical forms you customized yourself. You can even further-customize their skins in the late game with certain item drops.  As your unique monsters level up, their unique forms grow and become more ferocious-looking.  This was so mind-blowing to me at the time, and still is to this day.  It truly never got near the attention it deserved, and I wholly-recommend it to anybody looking for an incredible Playstation 1-era RPG.

All this is worth mentioning because in Jade Cocoon 2, literally everything that made the first game an incredible and unique experience was gone.  You technically still capture monsters and 'combine' them, but it gets grossly simplified/dumbed-down; nothing about their visuals changes or is mixed in any way; you either get one form or the other you started with.  Also the interesting and dark/adult story themes about death and pestilence from the first game was completely gone, only to be replaced by what felt like a bad, soulless American children's cartoon on Nickelodeon with an unlikable nagging pixie always following you around.  Everything just feels lazy and pointless by comparison to the first game.

If this game was released as something completely disassociated with Jade Cocoon and didn't ride the coattails of the first game's success, it would've disappointed me less for sure, but still would've been an equally tedious and joyless experience.

Like I said try to find any worse than Hydlide and Super Hydlide

I've never played these two, but I have played through their successor 'Virtual Hydlide' on Sega Saturn.  While certainly not a great game and thus gets ripped on a lot on the internet, I actually enjoyed it despite its quirks.  :P
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 09:05:48 am by Uberdubie »

PolishedTurd

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2020, 08:10:28 am »
Another vote for Super Hydlide. I remember renting it on the weekend, excited to play a new RPG. Ragequit in 10 minutes. Total crap. I don't even remember why I hated it; only the residue of disgust remains. Lousy graphics, controls, music? It felt like an Atari 2600 game on a 16-bit system. If I'd been smart, I would have bought 100 cartridges in the discount bin and covered my car with them, because even birds know the game is not worth pooping on.

Honorable mention goes to Faerie, also on the Genesis/MD.

pocket

• Super Mario Bros. Super Nerd
    • View Profile
    • my gaming tumblr
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2020, 10:05:43 pm »
I don't play very many RPGs but Sonic Chronicles the Dark Brotherhood comes to mind.  I appreciate the tone being so similar to the Archie comic ( which ultimately bit the franchise on the ass thanks to a certain man-child ), and attempting to expand on the lore, but the combat system was some dreadful rhythm heaven style minigame that just didn't work and cluttered up the screen, the hand drawn overworld with the DS's crusty 3D polygonal models did not mesh well, and every character not designed by Sega looked like they didn't belong there.   Sonic's music is usually the one thing that saves a lackluster game but even the music for that game really left no mark... they remixed one of the best songs from Sonic 3 and managed to make it boring.
Somebody alert me when a user friendly BS Zelda hacking tool is made. I will give my soul to work on a faithful SNES remake of Zelda 1.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2020, 10:17:08 pm »
Scratch my last post, I have a new worst.  It's worst because you literally can't beat it on the console with the original cartridge over your battery time.  Of course, I'm talking about Dragon Slayer for the game boy.

At first this looks like a perfectly fine port for so early in the system's life.  Then you realize things are a bit slower than the original, and then you realize there's no way to save... how are you going to finish this over the course of one battery charge?  I really can't tell you, it's kinda impossible.  I say kinda because these days you can have a flashcart make save states.  "Oh, but there's the AC Adapter" you may say.  Some have tried that, and apparently the only known attempt on the 'net resulted in their device overheating.  Granted that could be any kind of hardware malfunction, but I can understand the fact that no one else would like to try again.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2020, 01:15:42 am »
Scratch my last post, I have a new worst.  It's worst because you literally can't beat it on the console with the original cartridge over your battery time.  Of course, I'm talking about Dragon Slayer for the game boy.
I remember reading about that at HG101.  I poked around at the time and I thought I got an idea somewhere that it wasn't quite as bad as it seems, though I can't recall exactly what I read.  Some Youtube commenter suggests it's a simple matter of equipping the Ring and moving your house with you wherever you go.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

StarWyvwern

• View Profile
    • Souncloud
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2020, 11:43:51 pm »
 I only ever played Dragon Slayer on NES. But even then, It was still pretty bad. Movement mechanics alone could drive any sane gamer into rage quitting after their 5th death or so. But I still stand by Hydlide being the worst. Personal Fav RPG is Persona 3 (either version FES or P3P).