News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What is the worst RPG you have ever played?  (Read 14082 times)

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
Re: What is the worst RPG you have ever played?
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2019, 09:33:03 am »
Xenoblade Chronicles (or yawnicles more like). Also I did play Final Fantasy 13 but I have since suppressed the memory.

I thought you meant Xenosaga on the PS2 for a minute but you meant the 3ds game instead.  Played both and while FF13 is average, I really like Xenoblade, plus the British voice acting is a nice plus, to this.

Xenosaga Episode 2 though is the most boring RPG I've ever played, it didn't help that this was the only European release with a recap of episode 1 and 3 never got a release. I guess it wanted to be FFVII but everything was just so dull and soulless.
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

SleepyFist

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2019, 08:42:43 pm »
So has anyone here actually managed to play and enjoy Unlimited Saga? I tried to play it after playing SaGa Frontier thinking they would be similar.  :laugh:

It seriously has to be one of the least straightforward, most obtuse games I've ever played, the case sure looks nice sitting on a shelf though.
Sleepy's Album of the week|| Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human || https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7W3JvZBJQ

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2019, 07:42:24 am »
Super Paper Mario.  So overly easy that I simply abandoned it halfway through the second chapter.  Enemies are scarce and barely pose much of a threat, you lose only 1 HP for dimension-flipping for too long before its meter refills, and I found myself simply going through the motions with stuff most of the time.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2019, 09:19:06 am »
Yes, I've rarely seen a game with quite so much purposeful, brazen disregard for the player's time as Super Paper Mario.  But the payoff is worth it.  Almost.

I particularly recall the Pit of 100 Trials.  Some combination of the music, graphics, and level structure conjures up a unique sensation of existential dread that I've never felt in any other game. (But then, I've yet to play Dark Souls and its ilk.)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2019, 08:17:07 am »
I can't decide between virtual hydlide for the Saturn and Quest 64. I may go with Quest 64 because basically everything they added 64 to was garbage. (Except Mario)
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

stahl

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2019, 02:14:59 pm »
Arc the Lad: End of Darkness has no redeeming qualities.

heratio

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2019, 02:53:13 pm »
Quest 64 and Aidyn Chronicles are pretty bad.  Tecmo Secret of the Stars is terrible too.

Idkbutlike2

• Beer Chozo
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2019, 05:41:19 pm »
Probably the PSP remake of Legend of Heroes III: White Witch. Bad gameplay, awful translation, boring story - it sucks.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2019, 07:03:22 pm »
If we are doing PSP then going a bit more contentious. Crimson Gem Saga.

Offensively bland and exactly the sort of thing I burned out on, at probably exactly the wrong time.

Normally for worst games I go with wasted potential; [insert game aimed at 10 year old girls] is likely going to be objectively worse by any number of tests I could do but when Square Enix or someone I know can do good work screws the pooch...

realworksuks

• https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2019, 01:06:16 am »
Breath of Fire 1 really sticks out to me. I hung in there and completed it, however, it was such a fetch quest chore. Over and over. Time that I'll never get back, and I suggest others stay away from this one.

Breath of Fire starts out looking really good and is fun at first too. But after maybe five hours, it's the same repetitive fetch quest stuff for the rest of the game, and it drags on and on.
Check out my gaming Youtube Channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/realworksuks

Leviathan Mist

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2019, 07:26:16 am »
This is a tough one. See, until recently, if an RPG was bad, I wouldn't play it long enough to beat it. Only recently have I gone back and decided to start sticking it out on some of those clunkers. That being said, the worst RPG I have completed thus far has to be Dragon Quest II. Notably, the final stretch of the game is unnecessarily brutal. There is no excuse for any enemy in the game to have an unblockable instant Game Over move.

AirborneMuffins

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2019, 11:14:51 am »
I usually only lurk, but had to login to add Beyond the Beyond to this thread. It's such a choppy, unbalanced mess of a game full of ridiculous grind-checks and even a character that gets weaker as he levels. There are some real stinkers ITT, but IMO none of them match up to the horribleness that is Beyond the Beyond.

Breath of Fire 1 really sticks out to me. I hung in there and completed it, however, it was such a fetch quest chore. Over and over. Time that I'll never get back, and I suggest others stay away from this one.

Breath of Fire starts out looking really good and is fun at first too. But after maybe five hours, it's the same repetitive fetch quest stuff for the rest of the game, and it drags on and on.
I once read a review on Cult of Kefka that stated the game would have probably been a lot better had they just added a mario-style "level x-y" at the top of the ui at all times, as that's how the game played. There was just never a reason to do any of the things or go to any of the places the game wanted you to do/go to. At least fusions were broken enough to sleep through the middle 2/3 of the game

Oops, didn't notice the link took me to the second page of the thread! BtB had already been mentioned a couple times!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 11:21:29 am by AirborneMuffins »

Phaxuji

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2020, 10:44:38 am »
I'm surprised by some of these answers.  I mean, even if you didn't like the game, keep in mind that the question being asked here is what is the worst RPG of all time, not RPG you didn't happen to like very much.

My criteria for "worst RPG" includes whether or not it's even playable.  If an RPG is downright boring and terrible but at least it's playable, shouldn't it be better than something that's boring and terrible and unplayable?

Someone did mention the old D&D RPGs for the NES which definitely sprung to my mind.  In fact, much of the video game D&D franchise is atrocious.  Eye of the Beholder on the GBA, for example, had so many bugs and nonsensical design that it's only fun in discovering exploits.

Aiden Chronicles on the N64 comes to mind.  That was painful to play, even for 5 minutes.

Drakkhen for the SNES definitely deserves a mention.  I collect games as a hobby and that game holds the distinction in my life of being the only one I have ever returned.  If they wouldn't have taken it, I would have tossed it in the trash.  It's about as much fun as an apple core or a plastic wrapper so I figure it'd have good company.

Of course, another criteria for worst RPG could be biggest fall from grace: it's one thing when you play a bad RPG, it's another when it's a sequel to a game that you loved and cherished..  If that were the case, a few games spring to mind: Chrono Cross (nothing like Chrono Trigger at all), Legend of Mana (nothing like Seiken Densetsu 2 or 3 at all) and Final Fantasy IX.  IMO, worst in the series, and at a time when Square was going out of their way to ramp up their greed: anyone remember PlayOnline?

My friend and I both got FFIX at the same time and suffered through it to the end when we couldn't stop laughing because of the truly awful action/chase scene involving the villain and the main characters.  It looked like someone took a background, animated it and then cut out cardboard figures to move back and forth on.  For the most part I love the Final Fantasy series but I still can't fathom why anyone would like FFIX (unless it was the first FF game they played and thus had nothing to compare it to).

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2020, 11:01:00 pm »
I'm surprised by some of these answers.  I mean, even if you didn't like the game, keep in mind that the question being asked here is what is the worst RPG of all time, not RPG you didn't happen to like very much.

Nooooo... The question is quite clearly, "What is the worst RPG you have ever played?"

Unquestionably there are absolutely terrible RPGs out there whose awfulness has been documented at great length and inspired flowing lyrical compositions.  But I haven't played any of them.  Why would I?  I think the question of what people have purposefully set out to subject themselves to is a much more interesting question.

Anyway, the non-GBA versions of Eye of the Beholder are apparently still fondly recalled.  And the PC version of Drakkhen is said to be greatly expanded over the SNES version.  There are rumors the Gygax himself was involved in the scenario design – not that that makes me any more likely to play it.

And I liked FFIX – might even get around to playing through the Steam version someday.  The presentation isn't markedly different from either FF7 or FF8, really.  While it's definitely not the worst RPG I've ever played, FF8 is definitely the worst of the three, I think; I might tolerate the weird mechanics, but it feels like half the scenario was hacked out due to budget constraints.

But that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 11:09:03 pm by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2020, 10:20:45 am »
Anyway, the non-GBA versions of Eye of the Beholder are apparently still fondly recalled.
True, had the Amiga version of this and so long as you don't mind disk swapping it's a perfectly adequate RPG.
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

nf6429

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2020, 12:35:25 pm »
For me it's Final Fantasy 2, that game is so awfully designed with its worlds layout, the bad levelling up system, the item prices, the lack of certain weapons, stupid trap door rooms, the boring dungeons, and the uninteresting characters. Second closest would be Golden Sun Dark Dawn based on how dissapointing it was compared to the original two classics.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2020, 01:47:04 pm »
Mine's Pokémon Y. It bored the hell out of me and I never finished it.

I've never really played an RPG that I found to be really bad, though. Dragon Quest II (SNES translated) also bored me and I quit once a bug in the translation removed a character from my party permanently.

Right now I'm playing Romancing SaGa 2 for the first time (the remake). I expected to dislike it but I am loving it. It feels almost like hacking. Every minute you cross another barrier, and I'm not kidding about feeling incredibly motivated to get through each and every one of them. Great game, but certainly niche.
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2020, 02:58:00 am »
I'm surprised by your answer. I mean, even if you didn't like some game, keep in mind that the question being asked here is what is the worst RPG you have ever played ? Not RPG you happen to not like very much. or that you find worse in a series.

FF9 is a masterpiece, one of my favourite games of all time, and I'm not alone on this. Chrono Cross and Legend of Mana are also very acclaimed games by at least some people. For example in LOM the gameplay is mediocre, but the graphics and music are gorgeous, and the game is definitely playable and enjoyable. Have you even tried the Masters and Monsters game I mentionned earlier ? Just to give you an idea what a bad game is (I'm not talking about a game that isn't perfect, I'm talking about a game that is pure shit), because it doesn't seem you ever played any.

For me it's Final Fantasy 2, that game is so awfully designed with its worlds layout, the bad levelling up system, the item prices, the lack of certain weapons, stupid trap door rooms, the boring dungeons, and the uninteresting characters. Second closest would be Golden Sun Dark Dawn based on how dissapointing it was compared to the original two classics.
I completely, 100%, second this statement ! However, both games are awful compared to other entries in their respective series. But they are still not that bad taken alone, compared to some other RPGs.

For instance FF2 is playable until about halfway before being completely broken and unplayable due to uneven difficulty curve and key items filling your inventory prohibiting you from using any other items (the unplayable part starts about when you have to take a boat and Layla joins your party).
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 03:03:47 am by Bregalad »

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2020, 09:13:05 am »
key items filling your inventory prohibiting you from using any other items (the unplayable part starts about when you have to take a boat and Layla joins your party).
Yikes, I hadn't heard that part before.  Did they fix that in Dawn of Souls?

Tyrantnyx

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2020, 10:52:36 am »
Yikes, I hadn't heard that part before.  Did they fix that in Dawn of Souls?
Dawn of Souls fixed the issue, it's perfectly playable.