News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Please, I want help with palletes  (Read 288 times)

polosam

• View Profile
Please, I want help with palletes
« on: November 14, 2019, 10:17:01 pm »
Greetings, everyone. I beg you pardon if this question was already made, but I couldn't find it by myself. I have few questions, by the way.

So, I want to hack TOP GEAR from SNES: thinking in change backgrounds, texts and cars. I understand that text is complicated to me right now because envolves pointers knowledge, and, in my ignorance, I thought that my first goal was just do the graphics - I thought it was easy, but it isn't.

I downloaded programs such yy-char and tile pro, but I could't find a way to see the graphics properly. I don't understand how palletes works.

Thats my doubts:

1 - how can I find palletes for SNES? I must download them? Generate from a software? Or there is a way to extract them directly from the respective ROM file I am editing?
2 - Once I can visualize the graphics properly inside yy-char or tile pro, can I export the image as a bmp and edit in a external software? Or I must do my editions only in yy-char?

I tried to read some topics here and watching tutorials on youtube before posting, but I just can't do what I was planning. I think the only way to me is ask you guys for some help. I am a big noob.

Thanks for reading.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Please, I want help with palletes
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2019, 10:50:45 pm »
I downloaded programs such yy-char and tile pro, but I could't find a way to see the graphics properly.
When you say you couldn't see the graphics properly, does that mean you were able to see something, but with the wrong colors?  Because that's the only situation in which you should be concerned with palettes.

If you're examining a ROM and you can't see any recognizable graphics, then the graphics are probably compressed and no palette will help you – and trying to decompress graphics can easily be much more complicated than text editing.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

4l3j4ndr0

• Gameboy Color Rules!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 07:36:49 am »
1 - how can I find palletes for SNES? I must download them? Generate from a software? Or there is a way to extract them directly from the respective ROM file I am editing?
2 - Once I can visualize the graphics properly inside yy-char or tile pro, can I export the image as a bmp and edit in a external software? Or I must do my editions only in yy-char?

You are mixing stuff!!
If you want the palletes you should use this tool.
https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/241/

About the graphics editing. Yes I think mostly of this tile editors allows export and import images as a feature.

One thing is edit the image and another completely different is change the pallete.

Most of this graphics are reusable in many game levels, that's the reason why pallete info is separate.

If I remember correctly you have to find the hex value of the colors in the pallete and edit them in the rom whit a hex editor.

But maybe I'm wrong I edit pallets long time ago.

#

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 07:53:17 am »
If you want to edit the palette data in the ROM you will need to search for the raw color code (you can use a palette viewer or dumper in a debug emulator to see those codes). There's a tool that can make searching and editing the ROM easier than using a hex editor: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/32/

When you say you couldn't see the graphics properly, does that mean you were able to see something, but with the wrong colors?  Because that's the only situation in which you should be concerned with palettes.

If you're examining a ROM and you can't see any recognizable graphics, then the graphics are probably compressed and no palette will help you – and trying to decompress graphics can easily be much more complicated than text editing.
The cars are very neatly stored in the ROM of Top Gear. It's probably one of the most beginner friendly games for tile editing.

polosam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 09:22:13 am »
Thank you, guys. I really apreciate your directions.

Thats the way the graphics shows to me. I just opened yy-chr and clicked on the load icon to open Top Gear ROM. After that, i'm stucked.

My objectives - or in other words, what I want, not necessarily what is possible - are:
1 - assemble the entire sprite sheet, without messed pixels;
2 - export the sprite to photoshop
3 - Once edited and converted, I want to put the image back in the ROM file.

I thought it was simple to hack the graphics, but the thing is not intuitive as I expect. Again, I'm a noob.

Please, considering this issue, what is the next step I must do to reach my goal? Some setting in yy-chr can help me?