News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help About Edit Pointer  (Read 3976 times)

HoaiTrung97

• View Profile
Help About Edit Pointer
« on: November 06, 2019, 08:22:01 am »
Hello, I know how to edit pointers and have hacking skills (a bit).  ;)

But I am not a programmer, or have any skills related to it.

So I don't have any way of writing myself an editing tool pointer to optimize my work.

Most of me I have to edit them manually, editing them one by one. It's not too difficult, but for super-large files, it's a nightmare for me, because if the edit text is wrong, I will be forced to edit the entire pointer again. kill me, kill me.  :banghead:

So I post this thread, in order to want to ask people, is any tool for automatic pointer editing easier? As just provided where pointer start / end, where text start / end. And it is fully automatic edit. :)

Some people recommend me to use Atlast, yeah it's quite useful, but I don't know how to optimize it, the writing process is long time, writing pointers by line, pasting text, the time I write scripts recent = time I edit the pointer manually (if I'm careful). So it quite unless. :-[

So if possible, hope someone can help me write a sample script from atlast better, so I can refer to it.  ;D

This is a sample script file and the translation I need to edit.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jxoblh5cky38nud/SCRIPT.rar/file

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
Re: Help About Edit Pointer
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 10:45:49 am »
No one is forcing you to put everything in rom sticking to each other. If you have a lot of free space, you can backup some space in between for future text editing, and so once you set up basic pointers, you won't have to edit them anymore
iromhacker.ru - NES ROM hacking tutorials for beginners. Please use Google Translate browser extension

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 04:48:06 pm »
When I am being lazy (which is most of the time) I tend use a spreadsheet.

If what I am editing has a nice marker at the end of the section or something then you do a search for those markers (a decent hex editor will spit out a nice text list of locations it finds a certain byte sequence at) and most pointers are then at marker+1 or something so that makes them easy to calculate and sort from a spreadsheet. You can also help yourself if you are editing whatever in the first place and put in a marker or something and delete them out if they can't be in the final version.

HoaiTrung97

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 08:56:01 am »
Woa, thank you you guys has reply my question  :D

@Cyneprepou4uk
Oh, I've used this method before, but the problem now is that I want to find a better way to automatically edit pointers. I'm tired with work should edit one by one~ haha  :laugh:

@FAST6191
Wow, just googling for this, I never know about this before, it looks interesting, just wondering what program are you using for a spreadsheet?  ;D

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 09:02:00 am »
Some people recommend me to use Atlast, yeah it's quite useful, but I don't know how to optimize it, the writing process is long time, writing pointers by line, pasting text, the time I write scripts recent = time I edit the pointer manually (if I'm careful). So it quite unless. :-[

Atlas is the tool you want, yes. Generally speaking, if at all possible, you want to extract your text with the Atlas pointer writes already set up in it - look to the Cartographer tool to help with this if you're unwilling or unable to write a custom text extractor yourself. But consider, even if you do it manually you only ever have to set up Atlas's pointers once, whereas if you make a mistake inserting by hand you have to redo everything from scratch.

Cyneprepou4uk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 09:21:30 am »
How do your pointers look like exactly? And what is your marker of text ending?

I probably (no promises) could write a simple console app, where you gonna need to specify basic address and paste your text bytes. Program will search those markers, calculate text sections length and spit out correct pointers
iromhacker.ru - NES ROM hacking tutorials for beginners. Please use Google Translate browser extension

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 09:44:31 am »
just wondering what program are you using for a spreadsheet?  ;D

Just about anything that claims to be a spreadsheet will do here.

If you go really really really old school Microsoft office you might have to install the engineering analysis toolpak I think it was. Otherwise pick one and figure out whatever the requirements to handle hexadecimal are in it.

In any case I have a copy of libreoffice (the calc program being their spreadsheet effort) and go with that.

HoaiTrung97

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2019, 08:20:11 am »
@Gideon Zhi
Yeah, guess that's probably the only option, although it takes a lot of time writing the script.  :P

@Cyneprepou4uk
Wow! Really worth to looking forward. Thanks.  :)

@FAST6191
Um, I don't have much experience with Office Software, guess maybe more research is needed.  :D

Cyneprepou4uk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2019, 10:11:58 am »
Did you pay any attention to what questions I've asked before?

HoaiTrung97

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2019, 09:03:07 pm »
Yeah, but I don't understand what you mean, can you explain in more detail?  :o

You mean it where the pointer / text begins or ends, right?

Cyneprepou4uk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2019, 11:07:29 pm »
Describe the program logic for analyzing your input bytes. Then describe what output you expect from it.

HoaiTrung97

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 05:12:48 am »
Sorry @ Cyneprepou4uk because of the slow response, I don't have much time to online.
However, I'm sorry, but I still can't figure what you want to say, it sounds stupid, but I only know a few simple manual calculations for them. I really don't know about things you want talk, sorry. T.T
In fact, in my time I did not check this theard. I have completely edited them manually, What is a nightmare.
I am currently working on a new project, and this time, their pointers are extremely cluttered, manual edits are very hard. So I'm learning how to use Atlas to optimize my work.
Although I read the Atlas documentation, I still dont fully understand all of them.
The text insertion was fine (still missing fell place, but I could manually edit it) and I locate all pointers correctly.
But the pointer insertion is completely incorrect, I'm having a headache about this.
This is the script file I wrote with Atlas.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/eva4geqpxhvjp8n/POIN.rar/file
Hope everyone can help me edit it, or write some samples so I can try copycat them.
Thank You SO MuCh!