News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Mega Man Refill Patches released for NES and GB!  (Read 1728 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Mega Man Refill Patches released for NES and GB!
« on: October 25, 2019, 07:01:10 pm »

Update By: Thirteen 1355

As of today, all of the NES and Game Boy Mega Man games have received a patch that makes weapon energy refill upon losing a life.

The goal of these patches are to make the game less frustrating (especially during final stages, where some weapons are required to pass the level), but also to create consistency with the later Mega Man/X games for Playstation 1 and PSP.

If you got sick of running out of Magnet Beam in Mega Man 1, or Rush Jet in Mega Man 3, or even the Carrier from Wily's Revenge, be sure to try out these patches! They may save your sanity during these heinous final stages!

Get the patches here:
- Mega Man 1
- Mega Man 2
- Mega Man 3
- Mega Man 4
- Mega Man 5
- Mega Man 6
- Mega Man I
- Mega Man II
- Mega Man III
- Mega Man IV
- Mega Man V

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

RaidouJFlo

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Mega Man Refill Patches released for NES and GB!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 07:06:57 pm »
Mega Man: Scrub Edition

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 10:38:12 pm »
don't be rude

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 11:35:07 pm »
These patches are a boon, thanks for making them and bringing those oldies to a better standard.

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 09:22:16 am »
Here's one the author made for Mega Man: The Wily Wars.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 09:31:57 am »
How compatible are these with other hacks?

KevvyLava

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 11:01:22 am »
A full refill sort of the defeats the purpose of having to learn which weapons do what. If there's no consequence to running out, why even have a meter at all?

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 11:56:40 am »
On the front page it's hard to tell which hack link is for what series. Maybe you should make a note on it. Megaman I (Gameboy), etc.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 06:03:14 pm »
A full refill sort of the defeats the purpose of having to learn which weapons do what. If there's no consequence to running out, why even have a meter at all?

Allow me to respectfully disagree with a counter-point:
If you aren't free to experiment with weapons during stages and need to keep saving up, what's the point of having a variable weapon system in the first place?

Also, especially on MM2, there are a lot of needless frustration regarding weapon energy that needn't exist and are a byproduct of bad design.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 06:15:12 pm »
Also, especially on MM2, there are a lot of needless frustration regarding weapon energy that needn't exist and are a byproduct of bad design.

Absolutely. I have played and beaten every single Megaman game ever made, and MM2 had some... questionable choices. They made the change to refill weapons in Megaman Powered Up on the PSP, and I was surprised how much more it opened up the game.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 06:28:37 pm »

I dunno how having more chances to learn which weapons do what defeats the purpose of having to learn which weapons do what. There is a consequence of a weapon's ammo running out, which is the weapon's ammo running out. Makes you die and then you get another chance at figuring out which weapon works best.

I don't need to say this but this patch is intended for people who aren't patient enough to figure that kind of stuff out within a single life. When there is thirty Mega Man games around it's not a big deal to be able to finish one game within a few hours. Especially when nowadays there's way more meaty games around, with way more content. These games don't need to rely on punishment to be engaging and therefore many people used to these more modern times (like me), will leave this game in the dust for more manageable 'tough games' like Shovel Knight or Dark Souls. These games will be discarded by people when they feel as needlessly lengthened when there's difficult games that do value people's time.

October 26, 2019, 06:38:20 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Absolutely. I have played and beaten every single Megaman game ever made, and MM2 had some... questionable choices. They made the change to refill weapons in Megaman Powered Up on the PSP, and I was surprised how much more it opened up the game.

Yeah, it's a thing with the PS1 games too. These are generally more forgiving and although I'm not saying more forgiving is superior to less forgiving, these patches allow people to have a choice in the matter at all. That's important to me.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 06:40:53 pm by Thirteen 1355 »
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Josephine Lithius

• :)
    • View Profile
    • JosephineLithius @ Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 07:21:34 pm »
Ya know… this makes me want patches for Mega Man 7/8 and Powered Up that make it so weapons don't refill on death, between Wily Castle stages, and makes the Wily stages in 7 and Powered Up one long chain of levels.  Just 'cause.

Anyway, the concept of these patches are reasonably sound, I s'pose.  It saves the player from having to waste all their lives to refill their weapons or grind enemies, both of which can be very annoying.  But… yeah.  Not for me.  There's just something… nostalgic… about making a dumb mistake and paying for it. (Hello, Boo Beam Trap, in Mega Man 2.)

Great work, though!
I'm not that hard to find... if you know where to look.
-=( http://josephinelithius.tumblr.com )=-

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 07:24:59 pm »
Ya know… this makes me want patches for Mega Man 7/8 and Powered Up that make it so weapons don't refill on death, between Wily Castle stages, and makes the Wily stages in 7 and Powered Up one long chain of levels.  Just 'cause.

Anyway, the concept of these patches are reasonably sound, I s'pose.  It saves the player from having to waste all their lives to refill their weapons or grind enemies, both of which can be very annoying.  But… yeah.  Not for me.  There's just something… nostalgic… about making a dumb mistake and paying for it. (Hello, Boo Beam Trap, in Mega Man 2.)

Great work, though!

That actually sounds like a solid idea. I'm not gonna do it because it doesn't cater to how I play but I can see if people are willing to get into editing these games. People would enjoy the old style they're used to. It is kind of the norm to be fair.

WaltzIn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 12:47:24 am »
i just needed to log in to add that these weapon energy patches are a good thing. not lazy in any way. this is the definitive combat flow the series should have. without this setting change the trial and error redundancy and combat experimentation is intuitively incompetent. and has kept classic megaman (besides 8 because 8 is perfect) combat feeling rigid compared to megaman x for decades. this is why megaman 8 and megaman x4 are probably my all time favorite special weapon sandboxes. the weapons are useful and kinetic and are very resource lenient. x4 even lets you get unlimited ammo for basic attacks which actually for once allows you to choose your common utility instead of always spamming buster fire in reliability you can just use aiming laser whatever condition you see fit. this doesnt matter at all because most of the game revolves around charge shots. so the upgrade is satisfactory. the dynamic projectile accessibility gives x4 better game flow than most of the franchise. ammo scarcity doesn't make megaman fun because megaman isn't a resource survival game. ammo has to be a modest concept for progression balance. the only time resource restriction would be exciting is if the game was DESIGNED around exploring environment for equipment and scavenging for ammo. like resident evil. but its not. megaman is an Arcade Linear Action Game. ammo serves as a Reasonability Restriction. like metal slug. not a junction for strategy tedium.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2019, 01:17:20 am »
If memory serves, 7 doesn't refill weapons on death by default.
Also, that game has a weaker Mega Buster than most games, something that would be nice to see rectified.

As for the other patches, I'd love to see sliding added to MM1 and 2 in a way they could be combined with the "refill on death"
patches. I know purists will complain, but I prefer convenience to authenticity.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2019, 03:49:13 am »
Darksamus993 made refill patches for the four SNES Mega Man games (3 X games and 7). He linked to them in the forum thread regarding my refill patches, but he hasn't uploaded them on Romhacking itself.

He said he planned on uploading them, making the X3 patch Zero Project compatible and making a patch for Mega Man & Bass, but he hasn't done so yet. If he no longer feels like working on this I will eventually make SNES patches myself and upload them. I don't feel like uploading his patches since when I asked if I could, he said he'd do so himself. So I'd make all the patches myself so I can upload them all.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 07:28:57 pm by Thirteen 1355 »

exodous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2019, 04:15:17 pm »
I don't remember this being a problem, or anything that bugged me as a kid.  I'll have to play some MM again.  I had 3 growing up and can never remember getting stuck or anything because I was out of any weapon.  I just killed enemies until I could fill it.

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2019, 06:56:18 pm »
Not every place had enemy respawns you could cause for refills, however, and many that did had dangerous enemies that could make your situation worse while you try to top off to face a boss.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2019, 07:29:33 pm »
I don't remember this being a problem, or anything that bugged me as a kid.  I'll have to play some MM again.  I had 3 growing up and can never remember getting stuck or anything because I was out of any weapon.  I just killed enemies until I could fill it.

It's mostly the mobility items, which are necessary to complete final stages.

zefmc

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2019, 11:14:57 am »

For me it was the complete opposite. Because the weapons were limited (and I was never sure if I would be able to refill them when I needed to) I never used them until I was on a boss. It wasn't until Mega Man 8 that I felt comfortable doing so, and it's my favourite one by far because of that (haven't played 9, 10, 11 yet). Don't knock it 'til you try it.