News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X2 Relocalization  (Read 22529 times)

acediez

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X2 Relocalization
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2019, 05:21:27 pm »
It's probably to late to point this out since it's already inserted, but maybe you'll like the idea and consider it if you go back to this later on... What about a slimmer outer border? To make it look closer to the japanese logo

Would probably have to adjust the text size within the red triangle though

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2019, 07:08:30 pm »
My biggest issue right now is finding the 2 graphics, since they're not stored with the Mega Man X graphics.
The 2 is stored uncompressed (4bpp linear, little-endian) at file offset 0x143000.

Code: [Select]
compressed files:
  * logo_gfx_1.bin     = "ROCKMAN" & "X" graphics
  * logo_tilemap_1.bin = "ROCKMAN" tilemap

uncompressed files:
  * logo_gfx_2.bin     = "2" graphic
  * logo_tilemap_2.bin = "X" tilemap
  * logo_spr_pal.bin   = "2" palette
  * logo_bg_pal.bin    = "ROCKMAN" & "X" palettes
NOTE: for the compressed files I decompressed the USA files -> replaced with my new uncompressed stuff -> recompressed -> extracted the new compressed files from the rom.

It would be stupidly easy to just modify DarkSamus' patch, but the decompressor won't work on it since the checksum is different. I don't know of any other way to decompress the graphics, so I have to do everything from scratch again. If DarkSamus wants to reinsert these new tiles, that's fine, but I'm still going to try it on my own in the meantime as well so that I can also do this for X1 and X3.
It's easy enough to hack the binary, that's what I did to dump the Japanese graphics. I'm planning on inserting the new logo tiles, I was just waiting until we decided on the final graphic before I did. I like the thinner border on acediez's version, can that be incorporated into your version Metalwario64?

If you need help with X1 & X3 hacking let me know and I can help.

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2019, 07:23:53 pm »
Yeah, Acediez' idea should be very simple to incorporate.The blue parts of the letters should be fine as-is, right? I'll work on it tonight.

I appreciate your help greatly as well! Thanks for all of your info and insight! :thumbsup:

[EDIT]

Okay, here it is:

I actually redid it almost entirely. I made the edges not only the same size as the Japanese logo, but I made them shaped and shaded in the same style as well. It took a lot of time to do, but it seems pretty accurate to me, outside of remaking the logo entirely to be less angular and more rounded like the Rockman logo, but I really don't want to do that.

I ended up increasing the height by two pixels by hand, and with the smaller edges, it actually should fit within the exact same number of tiles again, and is roughly the same size as the Japanese logo. Hopefully everyone agrees on this one being worthy, but if anyone notices something off that I didn't please point it out!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 01:46:59 pm by Metalwario64 »

Herpuia

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2019, 04:39:22 am »
Yeah, Acediez' idea should be very simple to incorporate.The blue parts of the letters should be fine as-is, right? I'll work on it tonight.

I appreciate your help greatly as well! Thanks for all of your info and insight! :thumbsup:

[EDIT]

Okay, here it is:

I actually redid it almost entirely. I made the edges not only the same size as the Japanese logo, but I made them shaped and shaded in the same style as well. It took a lot of time to do, but it seems pretty accurate to me, outside of remaking the logo entirely to be less angular and more rounded like the Rockman logo, but I really don't want to do that.

I ended up increasing the height by two pixels by hand, and with the smaller edges, it actually should fit within the exact same number of tiles again, and is roughly the same size as the Japanese logo. Hopefully everyone agrees on this one being worthy, but if anyone notices something off that I didn't please point it out!

That logo looks freaking awesome! :o
I simply can't understand why Capcom made changes like this, i mean the original logo is fairly unrelated (and uglier) to something out of a megaman game.

TransmitHim

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2019, 12:45:52 pm »

[EDIT]

Okay, here it is:

By losing the border the smooth gradient on the shape of the word is lost, meaing the bottom of the G looks really weird, as it's a good few pixels higher than the letters around it.

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2019, 01:45:28 pm »

I tweaked the bottoms of the letters some more to make the transition between elevation of them smoother, and I tweaked the top left of the first M because it was a touch rounded looking.

I personally don't see anything else wrong with it now. [EDIT] I actually fixed the transition between the first M and the E. The way the Japanese logo works is for letters with the same "elevation", they stay connected on the bottom, but when the elevation changes, the shading "resets", and the corner has a highlight to it. I forgot to do that with the M, and now is should be absolutely "perfect" in an accuracy sense.

By losing the border the smooth gradient on the shape of the word is lost, meaing the bottom of the G looks really weird, as it's a good few pixels higher than the letters around it.
Hmm... I tried to match the shading of the Japanese edges as closely as possible. It's almost 1:1 in some areas. I'm not entirely sure what's wrong. It's also above the E and the same elevation as the A, so I'm not sure if I'm not seeing it or what. There is a bit of "stair stepping", as the bottom of each letters is completely straight now, but that's how it was in the Japanese logo, and it was probably an intentional choice to make them look better at this low of a resolution. Before mine was a bit muddy.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 02:18:49 pm by Metalwario64 »

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2019, 11:53:58 am »
So, right now I got Darksamus's patch for the title screen edit. Metalwario, would your edit be different in any way, or do you just intend to figure out how you'd make it work yourself?
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2019, 12:06:37 pm »
here's the latest version with the updated logo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AIh1OQq-OgZpUXuXMte-hQLft7mm_dwW

JAPAN -> USA -> NEW

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2019, 12:24:24 pm »
Looks perfect to me! Looking forward to the Relocalizatiin patch, and to eventually see this logo implenented on X1 and X3

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2019, 12:52:35 pm »
So, right now I got Darksamus's patch for the title screen edit. Metalwario, would your edit be different in any way, or do you just intend to figure out how you'd make it work yourself?
No, I'm just figuring it out so that I can attempt to put it in X1 and X3. Go ahead and use DarkSamus' newest one. :thumbsup:

here's the latest version with the updated logo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AIh1OQq-OgZpUXuXMte-hQLft7mm_dwW

JAPAN -> USA -> NEW

Thank you very much for that! It looks great, and when the time comes I'll probably inquire about your knowledge for help with the other SNES X games. I'm grateful for your generosity!

Looks perfect to me! Looking forward to the Relocalizatiin patch, and to eventually see this logo implenented on X1 and X3
Thanks, I appreciate it! I'm glad it didn't take a million reinserts like my graphical overhauls usually do. ^_^'

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2019, 02:14:11 pm »

JAPAN -> USA -> NEW

Uh-oh. I actually already patched the base ROM of the relocalization with your patch. Is it safe to just overwrite that with your current patch?

October 28, 2019, 02:16:38 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Right now I'm handling the final stage bits of the game. Going good though! There may be some other thing that I've always found a bit dumb in X2: The final stage. That one's just Magna Centipede's level and it always bothered me. Restarting this fillery-feeling rethread everytime you lose against one of the final bosses also isn't much fun. Is there a way to disable most of the final stage, or maybe even make a teleport in the rematch stage, that leads straight to the final boss rooms?

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2019, 02:56:42 pm »
That one's just Magna Centipede's level and it always bothered me. Restarting this fillery-feeling rethread everytime you lose against one of the final bosses also isn't much fun. Is there a way to disable most of the final stage, or maybe even make a teleport in the rematch stage, that leads straight to the final boss rooms?
Hmm... If you do that, please make it optional. I wouldn't mix cutting out content you don't like with a relocalization project.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2019, 03:01:05 pm »
Yeah that certainly won't be part of the main patch. I'd make it a different thing altogether.

Holy hell I didn't know it was this bad. For a second I thought I had made a typo but it was actually the official script.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2019, 03:31:50 pm »
Uh-oh. I actually already patched the base ROM of the relocalization with your patch. Is it safe to just overwrite that with your current patch?
yes, everything is placed in the same location. for future reference, I recommend making a build script that takes a copy of the clean base rom and applies all the changes to that (for an example you can check the src folder I included with my patch).

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2019, 04:54:18 pm »
Yeah that certainly won't be part of the main patch. I'd make it a different thing altogether.

Holy hell I didn't know it was this bad. For a second I thought I had made a typo but it was actually the official script.
Oh, I forgot about that. I always make fun of that one when I play through X2. :laugh:

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2019, 05:20:06 pm »
The only time I didn't collect all parts was when I first played X2, when I was a smoll teen and had to use savestate abuse to get anywhere. Back then I didn't even know you could collect life increases or armor parts, let alone get three Zero parts. Back then I never noticed this typo. Maybe the translators never play-tested that route...

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2019, 06:46:35 pm »
The only time I didn't collect all parts was when I first played X2, when I was a smoll teen and had to use savestate abuse to get anywhere. Back then I didn't even know you could collect life increases or armor parts, let alone get three Zero parts. Back then I never noticed this typo. Maybe the translators never play-tested that route...
I switch it up from time to time. I like the Zero fight.

As for the final stage, I think it's perfect, since we're shown the Central Computer through the cutscenes with the X-Hunters, and reincorporating it at the end feels like a natural progression. I don't get why so many people complain about it. I mean, X4 just goes from a straight hallway to the boss rush and then another straight hallway and the Sigma battles, and X1 is just a vertical shaft.

If anything has to be changed, maybe make the enemy layout different to change it up and make it more challenging with a more tricky placement of searchlights?

Ghaleonh41

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2019, 06:51:01 pm »
Glad to see that someone's working on X2's translation! If you need a proofreader, let me know! I worked on the retranslation that was released last year & posted in this thread & I'm glad that it's been updated!

Looking forward to this one's completion, as it's the first MM game I ever played & finished!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 06:58:13 pm by Ghaleonh41 »

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2019, 07:22:48 pm »
I switch it up from time to time. I like the Zero fight.

As for the final stage, I think it's perfect, since we're shown the Central Computer through the cutscenes with the X-Hunters, and reincorporating it at the end feels like a natural progression. I don't get why so many people complain about it. I mean, X4 just goes from a straight hallway to the boss rush and then another straight hallway and the Sigma battles, and X1 is just a vertical shaft.

If anything has to be changed, maybe make the enemy layout different to change it up and make it more challenging with a more tricky placement of searchlights?

At least they're NEW hallways, NEW shafts :P
but yeah I don't know (yet) how I'd do that anyway, so I'll leave it for now.

Actually, I think I'm done with revising the script for X2. I'm surprised it all went so quickly, though it makes sense when it's for a platformer game. I'll likely upload the patch tomorrow. The sprite improvements of MetalWario will be incorporated by default, and DarkSamus' title screen improvement will be optional, for people (like me) who like consistency and want to keep around the original title until similar patches exist for X1/X3 (so get to that pronto!).

October 28, 2019, 07:24:52 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Glad to see that someone's working on X2's translation! If you need a proofreader, let me know! I worked on the retranslation that was released last year & posted in this thread & I'm glad that it's been updated!

Looking forward to this one's completion, as it's the first MM game I ever played & finished!

As long as you won't suddenly turn into Magic Emperor Ghaleonh41, I'm all good with that! I probably will have a maximum of one or two typos, because I'm very strict on that stuff. But I'd like some people to check if the script feels natural/consistent in tone, since I've juggled a bit between Hondoori's script and the official translation.

Ghaleonh41

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2019, 09:20:49 pm »
HA! That's a good one! Can't wait until this is done then!