News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Mega Man X2 Relocalization  (Read 22262 times)

Metalwario64

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X2 Relocalization
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2019, 03:55:47 am »
Is there any interest in this?

I'm not a fan of the US title screen logo, since it's over-sized and clunky. This is much sleeker.

The thing is, while I think I know the concept of replacing the title screen (I have already decompressed the graphics and found the title screen graphics), assembling them and positioning everything is something I'm still mostly unsure of. I don't know what emulator for the SNES has the same type of debugging features as BGB or Mesen with VRAM viewers and setting breakpoints in the code and other things of the sort.

I guess I should ask around the appropriate section of this board, but I don't know if I'd be able to manage it anyway. If I end up learning how to do it, I might end up having to settle for this:

But maybe finding out how to move the 2 up as well.

Here's the "Mega Man" graphic that I made, by itself:

I don't know if anyone else is interested and more knowledgeable and willing to insert the title, or at least help point me in the right direction. I imagine if one knows what they're looking for, finding a way to basically reverse import the Japanese logo into the game, and then just replacing the ROCKMAN tiles would be the quickest method. I did try to decompress the Japanese graphics, but the tool I used doesn't accept Rockman X2, so that path hit a roadblock for me.

Of course, I also don't know if Thirteen 1355 even approves of it to begin with. I can imagine one not being in favor of this due to it creating an inconsistency with the other games' logos, and it might involve expanding the ROM and storing the tiles elsewhere, but I wouldn't know the process of finding the pointers to relocate the new tiles. Honestly this might end up being more work than it's work, and even if this doesn't become a thing, I guess I'm just a big enough fan of this series, and enjoy working on graphics enough that I got my enjoyment out of this. At least it's a look at what could have been! :laugh:

Secondly:

In both the Japanese and English versions, (Dr.)Light doesn't say 'please'. I added this to make up for the chunk of text that came to be unused when removing 'Mega Man'. I like the 'please', but maybe even better would be for him to say 'Come, enter the capsule'. What do you guys think?
Perhaps "X, step into this capsule to receive another ability..."

Honestly, I think it's fine just without the "please". The extra blank space isn't a big deal in my eyes, and Light isn't pleading with him to enter it; he knows X is going to anyway.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2019, 04:38:19 am »
I got no problem with adding a title screen edit in an optional version of the patch. Your sprite edits I already applied however. That one just feels like a definite improvement.

Yeah I realised I completely forgot I could simply add a bunch of spaces after 'capsule.' and be good. 
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Herpuia

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2019, 11:43:48 am »
I don't know if call this a Retranslation or an improvement romhack, but i'm happy finally someone is fixing & improving X2 :thumbsup:

Should i suggest SRAM Saving as a bit related option?

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2019, 01:41:54 pm »
I'm not a fan of the US title screen logo, since it's over-sized and clunky.
I don't know if anyone else is interested and more knowledgeable and willing to insert the title, or at least help point me in the right direction.

Just for fun I decided to take a look at this. Here's what I have so far (in-game screenshots), just need to fix the '2' positioning and insert the new logo tiles.

JAPAN --> USA --> NEW
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 01:57:35 pm by DarkSamus993 »

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2019, 01:58:35 pm »
Sounds fun! Especially for this project!

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2019, 02:23:14 pm »
I was trying to figure it out and discovered BSNES Plus, so I managed to get the tile map for the Japanese logo. If you want me to go ahead and put the new Mega Man tiles in I can do that for you if you wish.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2019, 04:37:52 pm »
Is there any interest in this?

I'm not a fan of the US title screen logo, since it's over-sized and clunky. This is much sleeker.

The thing is, while I think I know the concept of replacing the title screen (I have already decompressed the graphics and found the title screen graphics), assembling them and positioning everything is something I'm still mostly unsure of. I don't know what emulator for the SNES has the same type of debugging features as BGB or Mesen with VRAM viewers and setting breakpoints in the code and other things of the sort.

I guess I should ask around the appropriate section of this board, but I don't know if I'd be able to manage it anyway. If I end up learning how to do it, I might end up having to settle for this:

But maybe finding out how to move the 2 up as well.

OMG OMG The first one is literally perfection and is the way it always should have been.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2019, 04:42:37 pm »
I was trying to figure it out and discovered BSNES Plus, so I managed to get the tile map for the Japanese logo. If you want me to go ahead and put the new Mega Man tiles in I can do that for you if you wish.

Yes, that would be awesome actually. If you can give me another patch I can simply apply it to the current project's ROM, and eventual future attempts that expand the ROM/repoint stuff around.

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2019, 05:05:12 pm »
Yes, that would be awesome actually. If you can give me another patch I can simply apply it to the current project's ROM, and eventual future attempts that expand the ROM/repoint stuff around.
DarkSamus will surely have it done way before I even figure out what to do. :P

I really appreciate it as well. I still will try to figure it out on my own, so that I can do the same for X1 and X3, maybe. I have an X3 music patch in the planning (I actually have it mostly done), and I'll probably wait until I figure out this title screen business. It's actually kind of embarrassing to me since I'm way out of my league here, but I did manage to remap Game Boy tiles recently, but I'm sure that's a simpler process.

SpringSonic9187

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2019, 08:15:14 pm »
I have an X3 music patch in the planning (I actually have it mostly done)
Does it even fix the Light Capsule theme so it sorta sounds like the way it was supposed to be?

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2019, 09:22:41 pm »
Does it even fix the Light Capsule theme so it sorta sounds like the way it was supposed to be?
I didn't add the bassline back (I'm actually not a fan of it), and I don't think the string sample is loaded anymore, so I don't know how to change the header information for the tracks which dictates which samples it loads, but I did improve it by retuning the "organ" sample that the lead instrument uses, so now it's smoother and easier on the ears instead of sounding like an old, off-key instrument. That also is a big improvement to Buffalo's stage theme.

I have a video on YouTube which showcases the retuned Brass Section sample that I did a while back, which fixes lots of tunes as well.

SpringSonic9187

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2019, 11:42:55 pm »
I didn't add the bassline back (I'm actually not a fan of it), and I don't think the string sample is loaded anymore, so I don't know how to change the header information for the tracks which dictates which samples it loads, but I did improve it by retuning the "organ" sample that the lead instrument uses, so now it's smoother and easier on the ears instead of sounding like an old, off-key instrument. That also is a big improvement to Buffalo's stage theme.

I have a video on YouTube which showcases the retuned Brass Section sample that I did a while back, which fixes lots of tunes as well.
Great enough. Hopefully your patch works with Zero Project. I mean, it's a music patch, it can't be too broken for a huge improvement hack.

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2019, 11:49:04 pm »
This is getting good and I can't wait to try out the relocalization version of this.

DarkSamus993

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2019, 12:34:14 am »
...and done! I feel like the letters could have been made a bit bigger, but that's what I was given to work with.

JAPAN --> USA --> NEW

All data fit within the original space, so no data relocation was necessary.
Here is the ips patch and source code: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AIh1OQq-OgZpUXuXMte-hQLft7mm_dwW

I didn't add the bassline back (I'm actually not a fan of it), and I don't think the string sample is loaded anymore, so I don't know how to change the header information for the tracks which dictates which samples it loads.
I have the sound data documented for X1 + X2 (and partially for X3), including the dynamic sample loading tables for each stage. X3 uses the same setup so it is easy enough to find the dynamic sample loading table if you need me to.

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2019, 03:27:55 am »
...and done! I feel like the letters could have been made a bit bigger, but that's what I was given to work with.
Yeah, I was intending on making an attempt to learn how to insert it myself, and my plan was to simply insert the tiles in the same places as the Japanese logo, then find the Japanese tilemap location and simply copy them over to the US title screen tilemap because I figured that would be the easiest way to achieve it, and I wanted to make sure I didn't need extra tiles since at the time I made it I didn't have the Rockman tileset to make sure I wasn't going over the limit. Of course, after posting this, I have done just that, so I just decided to delete most of this post to prevent this thread from being clogged with my nonsense. :happy:

...It took about two hours this time, but it actually turned out much better. I stupidly forgot about the SNES stretching the aspect ratio to 4:3 when I made the original, so it ended up slightly wide. This one looks much better in the proper 4:3:

Spoiler:

Plus the logo matches up with the red triangle much more accurately now.

[EDIT] removed some ramblings and the previous, not quite as good logo
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 05:20:17 pm by Metalwario64 »

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2019, 06:17:04 am »
I actually tend to play in the 8:7 aspect ratio. Wouldn't it make more sense to adjust the logo to that aspect, given the fact that basically everything is?

I did a make start on the big text wall at the end (Do robots really need to fight and all that?). Because it's so long, it's probably gonna be the biggest challenge to keep the message true to the JP version within the space limits of the US one. But I'm pretty confident it will turn out well.

However, I've always wondered if these ending messages really mean something in the big picture of the X series, or if they're just kinda dramatic end screens and nothing more. X3's wall refers to X and Zero needing to fight one another eventually. This one refers to Light's vision. In short, I'm wondering if the Japanese version of the text holds any different message I'm missing.

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2019, 12:08:47 pm »
I actually tend to play in the 8:7 aspect ratio. Wouldn't it make more sense to adjust the logo to that aspect, given the fact that basically everything is?
It's kind of iffy actually. Some games take it into consideration, and others don't.

The Rockman X2 logo seems to take stretching into consideration, because I compared it with the logo on the cover art, and the in game one was a bit thinner, so I did the same to my Mega Man one. Besides, if I didn't thin it out at all, the M would have reached outside of the screen and have been cut off. That would have looked terrible.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 01:12:21 pm by Metalwario64 »

Masaru

• i want to know diasm and c++
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2019, 03:22:14 pm »

JAPAN --> USA --> NEW

All data fit within the original space, so no data relocation was necessary.
Here is the ips patch and source code: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AIh1OQq-OgZpUXuXMte-hQLft7mm_dwW
I have the sound data documented for X1 + X2 (and partially for X3), including the dynamic sample loading tables for each stage. X3 uses the same setup so it is easy enough to find the dynamic sample loading table if you need me to.
A question that i have now it's ┬┐how it would look if we use the original rockman 2 logo pallete?

RikohZX

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2019, 03:37:59 pm »
I will say that either way you look at it, it still looks better than the original US logo. Also keeps a nice consistent shine look horizontally. The 90's really loved their weird localization and logo changes, didn't they?

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2019, 04:45:35 pm »

Cleaned it up even futher, and I laid it out with the tiles lined up with the Japanese logo, and the only extra tile it should use would be an extra one for the bottom left of the M. One of the tiles on the underside of the logo which is a single grey line needs to be doubled up in the tilemap, but in storage fits over a single tile.

I'm attempting to port it over myself with my own limited knowledge. DarkSamus' patch is a life saver since comparing it with the stock game has showed me the values I need to change for the tilemaps and the position of the 2 sprite on the title screen.

My biggest issue right now is finding the 2 graphics, since they're not stored with the Mega Man X graphics. There are so many files from the decompressor to keep track of, so I'll probably just keep the US 2 for a while and focus on the tilemap and inserting the new logo tiles in the meantime.

It would be stupidly easy to just modify DarkSamus' patch, but the decompressor won't work on it since the checksum is different. I don't know of any other way to decompress the graphics, so I have to do everything from scratch again. If DarkSamus wants to reinsert these new tiles, that's fine, but I'm still going to try it on my own in the meantime as well so that I can also do this for X1 and X3.

I'm also just going to drop this in the thread now, so that I don't continue clogging up Thirteen's project.  :angel: