News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Technically retraux?  (Read 571 times)

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
Technically retraux?
« on: October 22, 2019, 05:57:06 pm »
So, I've been aiming to eventually commission for a game specifically in the style of the original Playstation, but in order to keep something I want, I've had to plan for the field screen to be 640x480, as opposed to 320x240.

I do understand that the Playstation itself had a few games at that default resolution, but on the other hand, so are such late-'00s PC games such as Vanguard Princess and Rosenkreuzstilette.  Neither of those are retraux, unlike Freedom Planet at 426x240, and that begs the question, would they have worked just as well if someone were to create versions of them for PSX emulators?

In case I need to specify this as well, the style I'm hoping to eventually commission for has to do with nostalgia and fulfilling a pattern.  What it actually is is a clone of Earthbound, but early in 2013, I came across the soundtracks for the Japan-only Rockman Complete Works series, and they reminded me both of various games a friend of mine and I played on his own PSX, and that songs like those would not sound as crisp from SNES hardware.  Does not help either that the original N64 version of Mother 3 was already cancelled, and the handheld GBA version we got instead looks and sounds inferior to EB; from there, I thought, why not fulfill a similar pattern to Mega Man or Castlevania, which both started on the NES (home also to Earthbound's prequel) and passed through the Super NES before hitting the Playstation and Saturn?  Since it isn't actually an Earthbound game, it could symbolically be Sony or Sega's answer thereto.

Anyway, since a field resolution of 640x480 would likely disqualify this game for TV Tropes: Retraux Games, the next best thing I'm thinking of would be to seek out a homebrew for PSX emulators, but would anyone here have other suggestions?

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Technically retraux?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 10:05:38 pm »
I for one do not understand exactly what you are asking.

would they have worked just as well if someone were to create versions of them for PSX emulators?
This is not a thing that anyone has ever done.

Anyway, since a field resolution of 640x480 would likely disqualify this game for TV Tropes: Retraux Games
Why not design the game you want to make, and forget about trying to satisfy the arbitrary limitations of someone's pet TVTropes page?
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 10:49:57 am »
Look at Shovel Knight. They managed to make an NES-style game in widescreen, with no sprite flicker, using 3D rendering rather than any "true" spritwork. Their music has 6 channels (only ever used by a handful of Japanese Famicom games), and they added 4 colors to the NES palette. Yet they are considered the pinnacle of modern retro games.

Cristal

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 11:49:42 am »
Yet they are considered the pinnacle of modern retro games.

There's no such thing as a "modern retro game". It's either modern or retro. "Classic" is a more accurate term to refer to those older games (made in the 80s/90s), while retro is a style that imitates those of classic games. You can't be retro (imitative of a style, fashion, or design from the recent past) if there was nothing to imitate in first place. That's actually a misnomer which unfortunately got popularized.

http://www.geekerific.com/2011/02/11/semantics-rant-retro-vs-classic/

By that logic, something like Super Castlevania IV is a classic, Castlevania ReBirth is retro, and Lords of Shadow is modern.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 12:24:26 pm »
I stand by my terminology, but semantics aside, the point is to say that Shovel Knight broke tons of rules, and is still accepted as one of the best retro games ever made. By extension, I wouldn't worry too much about upping the resolution on a retro PSX game.

#

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 07:44:32 am »
Resolutions above 320x240, including 640x480, are perfectly acceptable and used by dozens of PS1, as well as Saturn and N64 games. Not to mention hundreds of PC games of the era. However, you might not want to use it because of the VRAM and performance limitations associated with it. Most of the higher resolution console games of the era don't actually run at 640x480, but at some resolution between 320x240 and 640x480 to avoid these issues.

McKnight

• View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 08:33:45 am »
That actually reminds me of something I've seen on YouTube before:

https://youtu.be/UXTcV5aNq_8?t=106

With that, I would probably go then with 512x480.  Again, only for the field screen, and even then, things like text boxes would still get lower.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 09:02:28 am »
Retraux? What a silly word.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.