News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v2.0.3)  (Read 152186 times)

injoon84

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v1.7.5 and v2.0 BETA 8)
« Reply #260 on: July 19, 2021, 01:33:49 am »
The rng only changes in-game, you need to play a little bit before each try for it to have a different result (kill a couple of enemies, shoot a few shots)

So I guess the optimal way of testing would be:
— Enigma always failing with no parts: on a savefile with no Mavericks from the left side beaten, save a savestate inside stage. For each attempt, play a bit more, exit stage, go to “Enigma Launch” on the stage select screen
— Shuttle always failing with no parts: same as above, except do it on a savestate with no Mavericks from the right side beaten, and the Enigma already launches and failed.
— Shuttle always succeeding with all parts (from menu): same as above, except do it on a savefile that skipped the automatic Shuttle launch. To do this, you have to complete the Shuttle parts before launching the Enigma.
— Shuttle always succeeding with all parts (automatic launch after completing Shuttle): save a savestate sometime in the middle of the last Maverick fight. On each attempt, finish the fight, go through Mission Report, watch cutscene.
— Normal RNG behavior (sometimes succeed, sometimes fail): have any intermediate number of Parts (not zero, not all) and use the same method to test it (savestate from stage, play a bit, Exit Stage, launch Enigma/Shuttle from menu)

Noted. I'll try it out. But don't expect much from me.

b) Restore all Zero's moves
Which moves?

What I mean is the replacement moves of C-Sword and F-Splasher. Originally, Zero started off with standard jump slash and air-dash.
But Zero cannot use those 2 standard moves once you beat Grizzly Slash and Tidal Whale. I did mentioned it before.

Though C-Sword is a lot stronger and useful in most situation, it can't damage Grizzly Slash.
Thus, making the battle longer and harder for Zero than before gaining the moves.
My idea is why not make it a different input instead.
eg1. In the air + Up + Attack buttons
eg2. In the air + Special Weapon buttons
You could always look back at what "Z3R0X" did to Zero in his modded Megaman X4 as reference.
If you need his coding from the MMX4, I still keep it. Just mentioned his contribution later if his works proof useful.

As for F-Splasher, Zero can damage the enemy with longer air-dash and moving slightly diagonally up/down.
However, he can't control the distant of air-dash. It's like having a weak Ultimate's Nova Strike.
That's why I wish Zero has different input for this moves too.
eg. In the air + Giga Buttons
Afterall, Zero can't use C-Flasher in the air.

Plus, I always thought it looks nice to maintain all the standard moves instead of replacing them.

v2.0 BETA 9
- Dark Hold no longer moves V-Blocks (replaced by F-Splasher)

Aww, no more dash push from Dark Hold. But I guess it's for the sake of consistency gameplay.

TheUnknownHunter

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v1.8 and v2.0 BETA 9)
« Reply #261 on: July 19, 2021, 02:41:31 am »
Can you restore Fourth/Ultimate armor's plasma charge shot spheres damaging all bosses like in X4? thanks for the hard work.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #262 on: July 19, 2021, 03:03:25 am »
Shuttle test finished, guaranteed shuttle success for all possible siituations works as intended. If you need to retry another 50 times or more from save file, I'd be more than happy to go.

Doing test on enhancement parts and noticed a thing. In vanilla X5 Shock Buffer reduced damage if equipped, but in v2.0 Beta 8 the damage taken seems to be apparently the same with or without equipping Shock Buffer. Is this intentional or glitched?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 03:19:18 am by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #263 on: July 19, 2021, 08:13:10 am »
What I mean is the replacement moves of C-Sword and F-Splasher...
I see. I agree about the problems with those two moves, and adding button combinations is definitely doable... but I'm more inclined to simply fix those two specific problems with those moves:
- Making Grizzly vulnerable to C-Sword, at least as much damage as a normal air slash (controlled by damage tables, very easy to implement)
- Making F-Splasher's duration controllable by how long you press the button, like a normal air dash.
I'll give it a try.

Aww, no more dash push from Dark Hold. But I guess it's for the sake of consistency gameplay.
I really liked the idea of using Dark Hold too, but I think not creating situations where you can get stuck is more important.

Can you restore Fourth/Ultimate armor's plasma charge shot spheres damaging all bosses like in X4? thanks for the hard work.
You could try changing the values in the damage tables I have on the workbook (all columns on the Fourth/Ultimate Buster remants row), that's probably enough to have them do damage.
As for the main patch, I don't think I'll include things that make the Fourth Armor more powerful.

Shuttle test finished, guaranteed shuttle success for all possible siituations works as intended. If you need to retry another 50 times or more from save file, I'd be more than happy to go.
Thanks Aceearly. I'm confident that if there were any remaining issues with this feature it would've showed up by now, so I think it's enough of that.

Doing test on enhancement parts and noticed a thing. In vanilla X5 Shock Buffer reduced damage if equipped, but in v2.0 Beta 8 the damage taken seems to be apparently the same with or without equipping Shock Buffer. Is this intentional or glitched?
There could be an issue caused by the incomplete armors code. I'll take a look.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 11:12:29 am by acediez »

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: July 19, 2021, 12:08:33 pm »
Which obstacles besides V-Blocks have you identified that are breakable with Gaea Buster?

Sorry, didn't notice that one.
I mainly focus on the 8 Mavericks and noticed that with Gaea's arms part, it can:
a) Burn Dinorex
Destroyed mouth fire that is similar to X's Ground Fire either using normal/charge Gaea Shot.

b) Volt Kraken
Destroyed the lightning ball either using normal/charge Gaea Shot.
However, normal Gaea Shot has some limitation and cannot destroyed the lightning ball when it was moving on the ground.

c) Grizzly Slash
Destroyed the small triple crescent attacks either using normal/charge Gaea Shot.

There could be an issue caused by the incomplete armors code. I'll take a look.

Also, I notice all the Energy Weapons bar still left with little energy when X's Armors supposed to have consumed it all.
I test it with a save file with max 8+ Energy Weapons. Working normally on v1.8 but not v2.0 BETA 9.
Should be the same issues related the incomplete armors.

You could try changing the values in the damage tables I have on the workbook (all columns on the Fourth/Ultimate Buster remants row), that's probably enough to have them do damage.

About that, I actually did a test on it.
It's working but not perfect. It will have the blocking sound "tin tin tin" and not "bu bu bu".

Plasma Shot's Remnant Damage the 8 Mavericks & Certain Bosses (Crap, make some mistakes. Have to re-edit)
--------------------------------------------------------
01) Crescent Grizzly
BIN Address:       83302
HEX Data Original:    FF00
HEX Data Modified:    0001

02) Tidal Whale
BIN Address:       833A2

03) Volt Kraken
BIN Address:       83442

04) Shining Firefly
BIN Address:       834E2

05) Dark Necrobat
BIN Address:       83582

06) Spiral Pegasus
BIN Address:       836C2 83622

07) Burn Dinorex
BIN Address:       83892 836C2

08) Spike Rosered
BIN Address:       83932 83892

09) Dynamo
BIN Address:       83932

10) Black Devil
BIN Address:       839D2

11) Rangda Bangda II Red Eye
BIN Address:       83A72

12) Rangda Bangda II Blue Eye
BIN Address:       83B12

13) Rangda Bangda II Green Eye
BIN Address:       83BB2

14) Rangda Bangda II Sun
BIN Address:       83C52
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 03:40:41 am by injoon84 »

ZEROmaverick

• View Profile
« Reply #265 on: July 19, 2021, 02:10:40 pm »
I tested 1.8 and so far so good!

looks totally stable to me

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: July 20, 2021, 02:53:49 am »
I tested 1.8 and so far so good!

looks totally stable to me

Thanks!

It's working but not perfect. It will have the blocking sound "tin tin tin" and not "bu bu bu".
I took a look at it. If you remove the invincibility frames from the boss' code completely, the remnants sound and feel like you would expect from X4. A possible solution would be to have an exception for Fourth Armor's charged buster, so this specific weapon doesn't trigger invincibility frames, or at least not the "blocking" effect. It would probably also work well for other multi-hit weapons that trigger the annoying "blocking" sound too much, like C-Sword.

Unfortunately, at first glance it seems this is controlled by each boss' own code, so you would have to implement it separately for all the bosses in the game. Maybe that's how it was in X4 for the charged shot too. I would need to check that as a reference. It's too time consuming for me to work on it now, but I'll keep it in mind if I come back to work on boss battles balance.

- Making Grizzly vulnerable to C-Sword, at least as much damage as a normal air slash (controlled by damage tables, very easy to implement)
- Making F-Splasher's duration controllable by how long you press the button, like a normal air dash.

I gave these a quick go, seems like they turned out ok. I'll add them to the BETA build for now so you guys can try it. I'll port it to the stable version after some testing.

v2.0 BETA 10
- F-Splasher: duration can be controlled like a normal Air Dash (cancelled if both dash and direction button are released)
- C-Sword: can now damage Crescent Grizzly (same damage as regular air attack)

I haven't worked on the reported incomplete armors bugs yet.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 03:01:58 am by acediez »

injoon84

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v1.8 and v2.0 BETA 10)
« Reply #267 on: July 20, 2021, 08:38:40 am »
v2.0 BETA 10
- F-Splasher: duration can be controlled like a normal Air Dash (cancelled if both dash and direction button are released)
- C-Sword: can now damage Crescent Grizzly (same damage as regular air attack)

Make a quick check on it. Yup, it should be working as intended.
1) F-Splasher
- Distant and speed seems to be correct either with or without Hyperdash. I hope someone can confirm it.
- Can cancel anytime as long as it doesn't reach its limit.
- Can push the V-Blocks.
2) C-Sword
- Can damage Crescent Grizzly but he sure do have long invincible frame.

Just noticed something in v2.0 BETA 10.
1) Zero using Air-dash and normal air slash
- If you input Forward + Air-dash, then combine with Attack button together, Zero will stop Air-dash and uses air slash immediately.
2) Zero using Air-dash and C-Sword
- If you input Forward + Air-dash, then combine with Attack button together, Zero will stop Air-dash and uses C-Sword immediately.
3) Zero using F-Splasher and normal air slash
- If you input Forward + F-Splasher, then combine with Attack button together, Zero will continue using F-Splasher until the end but will not use normal air slash.
4) Zero using F-Splasher and C-Sword
- If you input Forward + F-Splasher, then combine with Attack button together, Zero will continue using F-Splasher until the end but will not use C-Sword.

About v1.8, I noticed X and Armors still get instant death from spikes even when activating Dark Hold.
This does not happen in v2.0 BETA 9 and 10. Is that intention?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 09:42:13 am by injoon84 »

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: July 20, 2021, 09:44:37 am »
Just noticed something.
Zero using air-dash and normal air slash
- If you input Forward + Air-dash + Attack together, Zero will stop Air-dash and uses air slash immediately.
Zero using F-Splasher and C-Sword
- If you input Forward + F-Splasher + C-Sword together, Zero will continue using F-Splasher until the end, then use C-Sword.
Alright, I’ll try to fix it soon. Thanks for trying it.

About v1.8, I noticed X and Armors still get instant death from spikes even when activating Dark Hold.
This does not happen in v2.0 BETA 9 and 10. Is that intention?
Not intentional, I forgot to include a bit of code that’s shared with the incomplete armors stuff. I’ll port it over correctly next time.

pikangs

• View Profile
« Reply #269 on: July 21, 2021, 10:38:12 pm »
Those updates are really nice, I can't stop playing, but... I'm curious about one thing (because of the submarine mid-boss)... could it be possible to edit the health of all bosses? Either for decreasing their health or even put them at the max possible amount...

In any case, is interesting how this game can be better with the modding (just like X6).

July 21, 2021, 11:01:13 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I have to test this on the Beta 10 but... at least on Beta 9 I noticed that while enabling the X4 continuation style of getting back to the start of the current area of the stage you're playing, in the final stage if you die, the boss rush gets a random amount of mavericks resurrected that you have to beat again in order to continue to the path to Sigma (sometimes you don't have to beat the mavericks again... if you're lucky, but I believe the intended thing is to redo all 8 fights always), also I tested this on a PSP with a custom Eboot.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 11:01:13 pm by pikangs »

HaruyukiHyo

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: July 22, 2021, 12:08:04 am »
very good job, I'm checking version 2.0 beta 10 I liked the new implementations.but there is something that I noticed, I can't do the dash with the dpad (twice forward) also notice that the long jump (dash + jump) If there is another wall, the character gets stuck, losing the ability to climb the character, causing you to return to the wall from where you jump.I plan to do tests with a PSP since I am checking it on a NEW2DS XL

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 22, 2021, 03:00:46 pm »
Those updates are really nice, I can't stop playing, but... I'm curious about one thing (because of the submarine mid-boss)... could it be possible to edit the health of all bosses? Either for decreasing their health or even put them at the max possible amount...

I mentioned in the FAQ on the first post. A complete boss rebalance is something I'd like to do, but it's too time consuming for me to do it rigth now.

I have to test this on the Beta 10 but... at least on Beta 9 I noticed that while enabling the X4 continuation style of getting back to the start of the current area of the stage you're playing, in the final stage if you die, the boss rush gets a random amount of mavericks resurrected that you have to beat again in order to continue to the path to Sigma (sometimes you don't have to beat the mavericks again... if you're lucky, but I believe the intended thing is to redo all 8 fights always), also I tested this on a PSP with a custom Eboot.

I figured some stuff like that might happen, that's why I put the "not throughly tested" warning in the readme. I recalled from X6 having to add some code to correctly handle the data collected on your playthrough of the stage (collected items mainly, and as you found out, Maverick encounters). I haven't worked on that for X5 yet, the hack on the readme only changes the behavior of the "Continue" button. I'll be more explicit about it being incomplete on the description.

ZEROmaverick

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 22, 2021, 11:03:35 pm »
Hi,

I don't know if this is an issue on 1.8 or it came from previus versions but I just fount it

In the Options menu (in game or in the menu) go to Control and where it should say

GIGA ATTACK

but it says

GIGA ATTCK

I hope it helps

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 22, 2021, 11:58:08 pm »
lmao, that's actually from vanilla. I never noticed it!

v2.0 BETA 11
- F-Splasher: can now be cancelled with an air attack.
- Damage tables: Zero's regular saber attacks now deal less damage against bosses (2,2,5,4,4 to 2,1,3,2,2)
- Damage tables: attacks on invincibility frames of bosses will not trigger the "blocking" effect anymore

Unfortunately, at first glance it seems this is controlled by each boss' own code, so you would have to implement it separately for all the bosses in the game. Maybe that's how it was in X4 for the charged shot too. I would need to check that as a reference. It's too time consuming for me to work on it now, but I'll keep it in mind if I come back to work on boss battles balance.
Turns out the effects during invincibility frames are simply being handled by a different damage table (something I remembered from High Max on X6). I'm now testing replacing the "blocking" effect with either normal contact with no damage (shots) or passing-through (saber attacks). It's a minor change, but it drastically speeds up the flow of battles, specially when playing as Zero.
The only downside is that a couple of indestructible common enemies (like the vine spiked mechaniloids) use the same table, so you won't have the annoying block effect when attacking them either. It should be possible to create a separate table for them, but right now I'm pretty happy with the results as it is.

I included instructions to reverse it in the readme. I also updated my workbook with these new findings.

Btw, being a damage table, you can also have attacks do damage during those frames. You can have the Fourth Armor's buster remnants do damage. But I decided to not include it. You can play with it using my workbook as a reference if you want it.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 04:06:44 am by acediez »

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v1.8 and v2.0 BETA 11)
« Reply #274 on: July 23, 2021, 06:40:30 am »
Did a quick check on v2.0 BETA 11, the bug which Shock Buffer did not reduce damage for unarmored X and red Zero is still present. Have you met technical difficulties regarding this bug acediez?
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 23, 2021, 08:57:23 am »
Haven't worked on that yet. I only worked on the things mentioned in the changelog.

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 23, 2021, 12:14:22 pm »
Finally have the chance to test it a bit.
About the damage table and invincibility frame, it's kind of hit and miss. Everyone has their own preference.
Just remember to include the original and modified value in the readme (Zero vs Bosses).
It's not easy to trace even with the Workbook (Damage Table) as you have to look for the pattern of the damage behavior instead.
And may I know the Bin Hex and Bin Addressed are the same thing? Their value is different between the Workbook and the HxD.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 23, 2021, 12:55:58 pm »
The workbook references the actual files (either the main executable or ROCK_X5.BIN), which is what I work with. The readme references the location within the built disc image, to make it easier to edit it directly.
In the damage tables tab specifically, the "BIN HEX" title in wrong, it's actually PS-EXE file (SLUS_013.34). It's a leftover from the template I got from my X6 workbook, I'll rename it.

You can take a sample of the data on the workbook and look for it on the disc. If you need to modify a lot of data, you can also extract the files with a tool like CDmage, modify them using the addresses in the workbook directly, and reinserting them with the same tool. The files won’t get any bigger, so you can do this without any issues.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 08:08:29 pm by acediez »

Haruyuki Hyo

• Nostalgic Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 23, 2021, 08:40:27 pm »
good job, all the improvements are still great.
But notice a detail,  X loses momentum when performing the jumpwall with dash (jump + dash) this happens if there is another wall or platform, causing X to lose momentum, get stuck a little and go down.
I don't know if anyone noticed that

This happend in psex emulator and using the PS1 injector for NEW3DS, i need to try in a PSP, so i don't know what happend here

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 23, 2021, 08:53:10 pm »
You mean lost the accleration? It was a common issue from the vanilla, in X4-X6 after an air dash you also lost the accleration speed