News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v2.0.3)  (Read 165512 times)

ASR_94

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v1.6.4)
« Reply #200 on: May 05, 2021, 10:59:20 pm »
I don't find the beep in text annoying i like it and i don't want that to be removed.

NoMadTheorist

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 06, 2021, 02:40:40 am »
Hello acediez!

(UPDATE AS OF MAY 15, 2021) I found out that the "bug" that I referred to in here is actually an emulation bug caused by EPSXE 205 running on Windows 10. I concluded this because when I tested the same game file with DuckStation v2.0, the UP button works in the menu. So I guess nothing needs to be fixed.

As a recent Megaman fan who has played X5 for the first time just right now, I want to thank you so much for creating this improvement patch. It really helps in creating a more streamlined and totally unique experience with the game even with its obvious flaws and I especially had a lot of fun experimenting with the revised parts system.

While the game ran flawlessly in all other areas, I did see a major bug or issue that came while I played version 1.6.4, however - by the way I'm using EPSXE 205 with the EPSXE GPU core for this:

The UP button in the D-pad does not work in the weapons selection menu, regardless of which character I pick, yet the UP button responds in all other menu screens and in-game.
  • This means that I cannot use subtanks or weapon tanks, which would ultimately matter in defeating the final boss, yet I was able to climb ladders and hang onto ropes.
  • I tried switching to version 1.5 of this same patch with the same save file, but the bug did not go away.
  • Switching emulation options also did not fix the bug.

It seems to be an actual bug in the patch though its possible that my emulator is at fault too, but since my laptop is pretty weak clock-wise (Intel Core i3-7100-U, max clock rate 2.3 GHz, but has 12 GB RAM) I cannot test it with more demanding emulators such as Mednafen.

Also this video (https://youtu.be/0GhzDLad33Y?t=2634) on a playthrough of this patch with version 1.5 (not stated but implied from its date) clearly shows the UP button working in the weapons menu, yet it doesn't work for me.

I brought this issue since I've read not yet any single reply that mentions this strange bug. It'll be greatly appreciated if a possible fix can be provided in the next version or a suggestion.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 01:19:38 pm by NoMadTheorist »

Red Soul

• View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #202 on: May 06, 2021, 02:43:53 am »
I don't find the beep in text annoying i like it and i don't want that to be removed.

Different people, different preferences. It was just a suggestion, and it would likely be a separate setting anyway.

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 11, 2021, 12:00:53 am »
Hello acediez!

As a recent Megaman fan who has played X5 for the first time just right now, I want to thank you so much for creating this improvement patch. It really helps in creating a more streamlined and totally unique experience with the game even with its obvious flaws and I especially had a lot of fun experimenting with the revised parts system.

While the game ran flawlessly in all other areas, I did see a major bug or issue that came while I played version 1.6.4, however - by the way I'm using EPSXE 205 with the EPSXE GPU core for this:

The UP button in the D-pad does not work in the weapons selection menu , regardless of which character I pick, yet the UP button responds in all other menu screens and in-game.
  • This means that I cannot use subtanks or weapon tanks, which would ultimately matter in defeating the final boss, yet I was able to climb ladders and hang onto ropes.
  • I tried switching to version 1.5 of this same patch with the same save file, but the bug did not go away.

It seems to be an actual bug in the patch though its possible that my emulator is at fault too, but since my laptop is pretty weak clock-wise (Intel Core i3-7100-U, max clock rate 2.3 GHz, but has 12 GB RAM) I cannot test it with more demanding emulators such as Mednafen.

Also this video (https://youtu.be/0GhzDLad33Y?t=2634) on a playthrough of this patch with version 1.5 (not stated but implied from its date) clearly shows the UP button working in the weapons menu, yet it doesn't work for me.

I brought this issue since I've read not yet any single reply that mentions this strange bug. It'll be greatly appreciated if a possible fix can be provided in the next version or a suggestion.

That's weird. I'm also using ePSXe205 but I've never encounter the so call bug.
My gut is telling me either you have mess up your save file or the emulator itself.
Could you please check on that again?

spotanjo3

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 11, 2021, 06:11:14 am »
Hello acediez!

The UP button in the D-pad does not work in the weapons selection menu , regardless of which character I pick, yet the UP button responds in all other menu screens and in-game.

DuckStation is brand new and it is a great one that you can pick up. Yes, it is better than ePSXe version.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 11, 2021, 11:24:53 pm »
As soon as this update hits I am tots gunna replay the game! Can't wait!

NoMadTheorist

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 13, 2021, 10:28:38 am »
DuckStation is brand new and it is a great one that you can pick up. Yes, it is better than ePSXe version.

Ah, thanks for the suggestion. I'll try that one out soon. :)

ZEROmaverick

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 13, 2021, 12:37:10 pm »
I found that 1.6.4 runs the demo play after title screen thus hanging the game

Aside of that, this is a genuine wonderful work, it made me enjoy the game much more, specially disabling Alia's comments.

The new Fonts are a great improvement too, I never was able to read them correctly in my old CRT

P.S. Is it possible in future versions to add an option to turn ON/OFF VIrus GUI? (I use the HEX code change in order to achive this, thanks for the readme!! )
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 11:13:40 pm by ZEROmaverick »

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #208 on: May 17, 2021, 04:17:23 am »
I found that 1.6.4 runs the demo play after title screen thus hanging the game

I double confirmed that this issue happens in both the current version of Duckstation and ePSXe 1.9.25 with patch version 1.6.4, patch version 1.6.2 did not have this problem though.
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 17, 2021, 05:47:37 pm »
Thanks for reporting it again. I mentioned it after injuuin's bug report, that there's a bug in v1.6.4 that freezes the game any time you go "back" to the title screen (after the demos, after finishing the training stage, after watching the credits, etc). I don't know what caused it, but it's already fixed on my current build.

I had to slow down, I've been running short on time. But I'm already working on quite a few new things for future updates (it's just more fun than script stuff).
There'll probably be a v1.6.5 with various small script and font improvements, hopefully the last script related update, and a bigger update with new stuff after that.

I'd rather keep the new stuff as a surprise for the time being as I'm honestly not too open to discuss and detour from my current plan, but thanks for all the ideas and reminders of common problems with the game. A couple of them have been considered.

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 19, 2021, 11:29:12 am »
Recently, I tried to revert back the edited opening "X5OP.STR", and both the BGMs "Deep Sea" and unused ""Dr. Light" theme to the original US version. The opening is a success but the BGMs which is packed in "BGM.XA" failed. Can someone with the knowledge guides me? Below are the steps that I made.
Also, I use this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv763Jpf7r4 as guideline.

1) Successfully revert back the OP song to origins or vice versa:

Softwares, programs and applications needed:
ImgBurn
CDmage

Step 1:
Use "ImgBurn" to create the ".cue" file.
Launch it, and click on "Tools". Then, choose "Create Cue File...".
Browse the ".bin" game and click "Open". Then, click "OK" to create ".cue" file.
The whole step 1 can be skip if the game already has ".cue" file.
Step 2:
Launch the "CDmage". Click on "File" and choose "Open...".
Find the game where the original game is stored and look for its "Image Files" which is also the ".cue" file.
Click on the "Track 1 [MODE2/2352] [MEGAMAN_X5]". Then, go into the "STR" folder and look for "X5OP.STR".
Right click on it and choose "Extract Files...".
Place where it should be by adjusting the "Extract files to:". Then, click the "Extract" button.
Now, find back the extracted file, "X5OP.STR", and renamed it.
The reason is to differentiate it with the latter file from Improvement Addendum which also has the same name.
Step 3:
Close and relaunch the "CDmage". Click on "File" and choose "Open...".
This time, find where the Improvement Addendum game is stored and look for its "Image Files" which is also the ".cue" file.
Click on the "Track 1 [MODE2/2352] [MEGAMAN_X5]". Then, go into the "STR" folder and look for "X5OP.STR".
Place where it should be by adjusting the "Extract files to:". Then, click the "Extract" button.
Find back the extracted file, "X5OP.STR", and renamed it.
By doing so, 2 "X5OP.STR" files have been extracted. One is the original US version, and another is the Improvement Addendum.
Step 4 Final:
Right click on the "X5OP.STR" and choose "Import File...".
Browse where these 2 files are stored and choose the original US version. Then, click "Open".
A warning message will appear because the file of the original US version is smaller. Just click on "Yes" to match the size file.
Then, another message "File imported successfully" will appear. Click on "OK". Done.
In order to revert it back to the edited one, just repeat "Step 4" and choose the Improvement Addendum's "X5OP.STR" instead.

2) Failed to revert the unused track "Deep Sea" and "Dr. Light" back to original Tidal Whale's theme and Dr. Light's theme.

Softwares, programs and applications that may need:
ImgBurn
CDmage
PSound 2.1
Sony Movie Converter 3.4
PSmplay v1.4 PRO

Step 1:
Use "ImgBurn" to create the ".cue" file.
However, the step 1 can be skip if the game already has ".cue" file.
Step 2:
Launch the "CDmage". Click on "File" and choose "Open...".
Find where the original game is stored and look for its "Image Files" which is also the ".cue" file.
Click on the "Track 1 [MODE2/2352] [MEGAMAN_X5]". Then, go into the "XA" folder which has "BGM.XA".
Now, find back the extracted file, "BGM.XA", and renamed it.
The reason is to differentiate it with the latter file from Improvement Addendum which also has the same name.
Step 3:
Close and relaunch the "CDmage". Click on "File" and choose "Open...".
This time, find where the Improvement Addendum game is stored and look for its "Image Files" which is also the ".cue" file.
Click on the "Track 1 [MODE2/2352] [MEGAMAN_X5]". Then, go into the "XA" folder that has "BGM.XA".
After that, find back the extracted file, "BGM.XA", and renamed it.
By doing so, 2 "BGM.XA" files have been extracted. One is the original US version, and another is the Improvement Addendum.
Step 4:
Launch the "PSound 2.1". An error message regarding CD-ROM will most likely come out. Just ignore it by clicking "OK".
Click on "File" and choose "Scan File". Browse "BGM.XA" file of the US version that has been extracted in step 2 and click "Open".
Press the "Start' button and it will scan the whole 31 BGMs. Highlight on just BGM 00011 and 00020 as they represent Tidal Whale's and Dr. Light's theme.
Click on "File" again. This time choose "Convert...", "Browse for Folder" to store it and click "OK". It will start to convert both BGMs to "WAV" files.
Step 5:
Close and relaunch the "PSound 2.1". Repeat step 4 until click on "File" and choose "Scan File"
However, this time, browse "BGM.XA" file of the Improvement Project that has been extracted in step 3 instead and click "Open".
Press the "Start' button and it will scan the whole 32 BGMs. Highlight all the BGMs from 00000 till 00031.
Click on "File" again. Then, choose "Convert..." and "Browse for Folder" to store it.
Then, click "OK" and it will start to convert all the BGMs to "WAV" files.
Step 6:
Launch "MC32_en" from the "Sony Movie Converter 3.4".
Browse the "Conversion" on the left column by clicking "..." and look for the "wav" files that have been converted in steps 4 and 5.
Once a "wav" file been selected, it will shows: wav ==> xa.
Click on "Attributes". It will shows "XA Perimeters". Be sure to choose "37.8KHz" and "Stereo". Then, click "Go".
It will start to create "xa" file from the "wav" file. Repeat the process until all the 34 "xa" files been built.
Step 7:
Relaunch "MC32_en" from the "Sony Movie Converter 3.4". Click on "View" and choose "Multi Channel". Change "Total channels" from 8 to 32.
Browse the created "xa" files and place it accordingly from 0 to 31. For an example, click on "0" and browse for "BGM_improvement_00000.xa".
In order to revert back both the original US version of Tidal Whale's and Dr. Light's theme, choose "BGM_00011.xa" and "BGM_00020.xa" instead.
Then, checked the "Sub Header" before hitting the "output" button. Browse and name the new "BGM.XA" file before clicking "Save".
The new name must includes ".XA" extension. Now, the grey "Go" button will turn black. Click and wait for it to start packing.
Step 8:
Launch "PSmplay v1.4 PRO". First, click "Open" on 2352 by/sect and change the "Files of type:" to "XA AUDIO File".
Only then, "BGM.XA" of the Improvement Project which was extracted in step 3 can be browse.
Second, click "Open" on 2336 by/sect and browse the new "BGM.XA"  which was created in step 7. Then, click on "Test file".
Third, click on "Save" and change the "Files of type:" to "XA AUDIO File". Give a name to the new 2352 by/sect "BGM.XA" file.
Click on "Test file" again and click the "Convert" button which has turn from grey to black.
Once it is finalised, rename the extension ".2352" to ".XA".
Step 9 Final:
Launch back the "CDmage". Click on "File" and choose "Open...".
Find where the Improvement Addendum game is stored and look for its "Image Files" which is also the ".cue" file.
Click on the "Track 1 [MODE2/2352] [MEGAMAN_X5]". Then, go into the "XA" folder that has "BGM.XA".
Highlight it and and right click to choose "Import Files...".
Look for the latest "BGM.XA" that has just been created in step 8 and click "Open".
Wait for it to import until information about "File Imported Successfully" pop out. Click "OK". Done.
When I test it out, the BGMs are totally broken.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 19, 2021, 06:18:27 pm »
I explained before that the process of editing music tracks is not only about replacing files. You need to edit the tracklist (a table within the executable) and track assignments (hardcoded on the code for each screen where it starts playing).

If you insist on doing it yourself, the tracklist and code changes are detailed on the workbook I shared a few pages back. But I already have the "no music changes" variant on the pipeline for future updates, so maybe you should just wait for that instead.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 06:23:29 pm by acediez »

JPC

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 20, 2021, 07:12:32 am »
Does this apply to the PC version as well?

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 20, 2021, 08:21:18 am »
I see. You actually mentioned it in page 7. It was about half a year ago and I have forgotten about it. Thanks for the reply.
Anyway, debugging is out of my league. I know nothing about it.
For your info, I'm pretty much prefer the edited opening and BGMs.
It just that I'm not even sure which soundtracks I actually prefer between the unused "Deep Sea" and the original "Tidal Whale".

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 01, 2021, 10:13:59 pm »
I think the enemies should drop items in extreme mode. Also nerf Zero's saber against bosses a bit and make bosses do more damage so they put up more of a fight.

Sprite:D

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 04, 2021, 03:35:12 am »
I think the enemies should drop items in extreme mode. Also nerf Zero's saber against bosses a bit and make bosses do more damage so they put up more of a fight.
Meh, there's already enough energy pickups in Xtreme. A proper Xtreme Mode to go alongside the disabled items like in X6 would have been nice, but that would be asking a lot, so just keeping the disabled items is a fine way to do it. The bosses already do quite a lot of damage, which can be seen in the re-fights - sure, it would make for a fun fight before that, but Lv.96 bosses that also hit like a tank? Nooooope. The solution here would be making their re-fight healthbars smaller by like 70-75 levels while keeping the upgraded damage, but that might be a bit too different from original game's approach. I do agree on nerfing Zero's saber - it's absolutely broken before you get Grizzly's technique.

Megatronformayor

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 04, 2021, 11:37:37 am »
Meh, there's already enough energy pickups in Xtreme. A proper Xtreme Mode to go alongside the disabled items like in X6 would have been nice, but that would be asking a lot, so just keeping the disabled items is a fine way to do it. The bosses already do quite a lot of damage, which can be seen in the re-fights - sure, it would make for a fun fight before that, but Lv.96 bosses that also hit like a tank? Nooooope. The solution here would be making their re-fight healthbars smaller by like 70-75 levels while keeping the upgraded damage, but that might be a bit too different from original game's approach. I do agree on nerfing Zero's saber - it's absolutely broken before you get Grizzly's technique.
Makes sense that would make the refights to difficult. But hey the game is still fun and not having Alia interrupting is great.

acediez

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v1.7 and v2.0 BETA 1)
« Reply #217 on: July 11, 2021, 07:46:52 pm »
Hey everyone. I'm dropping v1.7 today, a small "cleanup" update on the current set of features, all related to text and script. This should be consider the current stable release.

I'm also releasing a BETA for v2.0, the next major update with several new features. It's still incomplete, mostly untested, and might have serious bugs, but I decided to release it as it is as a sneak peak, since I won't be able to continue working on it for quite some time. I won't be heavily involved in romhacking project for awhile.

(moved to first post)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 01:49:25 am by acediez »

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #218 on: July 11, 2021, 09:27:19 pm »
Congrats for the huge update! One thing I noticed was, in the v2.0 BETA 1, Force Armor didn't carry the huge Plasma blaster at the start, but uses the same charge shot as normal X. Is this intentional or a glitch?

And v2.0 BETA 1 other bugs:
- Crescent Grizzly stage won't properly register as beaten after defeating Grizzly
- When the incomplete Falcon/Gaea Armor activated, it will eat up Fourth Armor's slot if you have Fourth Armor (Fourth Armor cannot be selected since then).
- Incomplete Gaea Armor's buster shots are graphically incorrect and will cause garbled graphics in Grizzly stage

Also v1.7 bugs: Burn Dinorex's dialogue box content is erroneously called as Spike Rosered's in v1.7, while Spike Rosered's dialogue using Dark Necrobat's, Spiral Pegacion stage's first navigation uses Burn Dinorex's pre-fight dialogue.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 11:28:55 pm by Aceearly1993 »
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 12, 2021, 01:19:51 am »
Thanks

Also v1.7 bugs: Burn Dinorex's dialogue box content is erroneously called as Spike Rosered's in v1.7, while Spike Rosered's dialogue using Dark Necrobat's, Spiral Pegacion stage's first navigation uses Burn Dinorex's pre-fight dialogue.

I'm gonna update both releases with this fix right now, it was a simple mistake.
As for the rest of the BETA bugs, well, just keep listing them, there's gonna be plenty.