News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules

Author Topic: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v2.0.3)  (Read 150756 times)

acediez

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v2.0.1)
« Reply #400 on: August 17, 2021, 10:12:56 am »
I don't like (thing)
Besides the included patch variants, the readme has a bunch of instructions to revert some of the changes manually. If what bothers you is not covered by either, there's probably a technical/practical reason for it.

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 18, 2021, 11:32:33 pm »
I noticed something when applying some of the mods in the README. I moved to the offset for enabling item drops in Xtreme Mode, but neither the "original" or "modified" values matched what was in the README.

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 18, 2021, 11:50:33 pm »
Oops.

It's gonna be a chore to fix the uploaded files everywhere, so in the meantime here it is.

Code: [Select]
Enable Item Drops in Xtreme Mode
-----------------------------------------------------------------
BIN Address: 5CC1C
HEX Data Disabled: 29004010
HEX Data Enabled: 00000000

G30FF

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 19, 2021, 01:19:52 am »
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated! And great work on this, I've been working my way through the game and I love all of the changes you've made!

acediez

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 19, 2021, 01:43:37 pm »
Great! I’m glad you’re enjoying it!  :beer:

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 19, 2021, 11:29:22 pm »
Great! I’m glad you’re enjoying it!  :beer:
Can I have the reversions I was going to do in my last post?

Boss Level requirement to get Life/Weapon Upgrade
Revert to only get Life Up/Energy Up after the defeated boss
reaches a certain level.

Boss Level requirement to get Life/Weapon+ Upgrade (Parts)
Revert to only get Parts after the defeated boss reaches
a certain level.

Get both Parts regardless of Life Up+/Energy Up+ selection
Also till I got stalled wanting these changes I too am enjoying everything you've done. Makes this game less of a flawed gem and more of a gem!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 11:37:40 pm by Piotyr »

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 20, 2021, 01:05:34 am »
Can I have the reversions I was going to do in my last post?

I see. I finally understand what you mean. You should have told acediez the bin address was wrong in the readme.
Actually, everything is correct except:

reaches a certain level.

BIN Address:       17E3A (wrong)

The correct address should be:
BIN Address:        17E3A0 (missing 0)

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 20, 2021, 01:42:58 am »
I see. I finally understand what you mean. You should have told acediez the bin address was wrong in the readme.
Actually, everything is correct except:

reaches a certain level.

BIN Address:       17E3A (wrong)

The correct address should be:
BIN Address:        17E3A0 (missing 0)
I only just now got to editing, my last post was to confirm what needed editing for today and when I couldn't find the addresses I looked here to see someone pointed out the outdated/wrong readmes. Been hella busy due to a family members injury

stodgy

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 20, 2021, 11:49:07 pm »
Hello guys and thanks for all the job you've been done with this project! i've been testing it at PSP and PSX emulator on PC, PSX emulator XBOX360 and i notice a few thing:

Dark Hold dosn't protect u from spikes with both characters (X and Zero).
Can't use Falcon or Gaea Armor with incomplete parts.
Some Laggy on the Dark Necrobat and Burn Dinorex stages but i think is the emulator on PC and 360 (no problem on PSP).
"V" Blocks only can be pushed - destroyed with the gaea, other attacks won't work.
2 Non color parts.

Love the translate, font, turn off alia hints, voices, x-zero speech when they shoot or take massive damage, how now if you take a heart of life/energy upgrade is shared, the changes of music (REALLY LOVE DEEP SEA THEME).

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v2.0)
« Reply #409 on: August 21, 2021, 10:34:04 am »
Hello guys and thanks for all the job you've been done with this project! i've been testing it at PSP and PSX emulator on PC, PSX emulator XBOX360 and i notice a few thing:

Some Laggy on the Dark Necrobat and Burn Dinorex stages but i think is the emulator on PC and 360 (no problem on PSP).
"V" Blocks only can be pushed - destroyed with the gaea, other attacks won't work.
2 Non color parts.

Love the translate, font, turn off alia hints, voices, x-zero speech when they shoot or take massive damage, how now if you take a heart of life/energy upgrade is shared, the changes of music (REALLY LOVE DEEP SEA THEME).

Hi thanks for sharing infos, during the beta testing process I myself didn't actually get into testing emu environment for xbox 360, (I don't have that console for now) how about troubleshooting a bit and see if the problem get erased after applying counter methods? And what's the emulator's exact name which you're using?

In my environment epsxe1.9.25 on the pc works fantasitc, if yours doesn't work you may also need to pass the patched bin through STARWIN's EDC/ECC recalculator: https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/1264/

and make sure you didn't accidently edited one or more wrong values if during hex editing.

Also if your cue file doesn't match  edited bin file you may also encounter problems as well on some emulators (for example bizhawk only recognize .cue in ps1 mode for some reason) you may also need to make a fresh new cue to the modified bin under certain situations: https://nielsbuus.dk/pg/psx_cue_maker/
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

delta7890

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 21, 2021, 03:39:58 pm »
Seem to be having an issue with the hex modification to enable the Fourth Armor's Nova Strike.  The addresses match up, but modifying the indicated values seems to have no effect.  I've tried both loading an existing save file and starting a fresh game with X, but in both cases the Nova Strike can't be used and doesn't show up on the pause menu.  I have definitely double checked to make sure I entered the proper values.

All cleared up!  Just had to actually follow the instructions and run an error recalculation...    :D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 04:59:26 pm by delta7890 »

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 22, 2021, 01:44:54 am »
Sorry, I'll be a bit harsh to you. Your testing report not helpful at all. Don't mix up everything together.
Please look into the "change log" and "readme" before giving irresponsible report.

2 Non color parts.
That's because you download the v1.05 (2019 release)!

Yup, what do you expect? They're emulators and by adjusting the setting, you might get a better performance.

Seem to be having an issue with the hex modification to enable the Fourth Armor's Nova Strike.  The addresses match up, but modifying the indicated values seems to have no effect.  I've tried both loading an existing save file and starting a fresh game with X, but in both cases the Nova Strike can't be used and doesn't show up on the pause menu.  I have definitely double checked to make sure I entered the proper values.

All cleared up!  Just had to actually follow the instructions and run an error recalculation...    :D
See? Another example of someone carelessly giving a wrong report before looking into the "readme".
acediez already explained it many times and also put the instructions in the "readme":
"EDC/ECC recalculator" must be placed together with the modified rom whether you attempt to or not manually edit it further.

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 22, 2021, 02:09:47 am »
Being "harsh" usually doesn't encourage better bug reports it just invites bickering from more easily angered people. At least in my opinion

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 22, 2021, 05:15:55 am »
Being "harsh" usually doesn't encourage better bug reports it just invites bickering from more easily angered people. At least in my opinion
You have a point there, Hero-sama. However, these kind of posts are increasing these days and need to be resolved.
I'll just hope they take it in the right manner and doesn't feel discourage to write a better one.

stodgy

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 22, 2021, 06:21:38 am »
I've downloaded a patch version of the game, because i never patched a game myself but i wanna learn!
My PSX emulator is EPSXE V2.0.5
I fixed the lag problem in PSX emulator for 360 (Unmark frame skip and problem resolve!)

Piotyr

• I'm useful, honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 22, 2021, 08:11:48 am »
You have a point there, Hero-sama. However, these kind of posts are increasing these days and need to be resolved.
I'll just hope they take it in the right manner and doesn't feel discourage to write a better one.
Remember everybody starts somewhere and if you teach rather than scold they can become valid testers in the future. I remember I once helped test a hack and sent screen shots of every issue directly to the hacker when I could of instead just email him the stuff I found. I was rather annoying

injoon84

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 22, 2021, 10:23:56 am »
I've downloaded a patch version of the game, because i never patched a game myself but i wanna learn!
My PSX emulator is EPSXE V2.0.5
Sure. I also use EPSXE V2.0.5 on my PC. Your so call problems will not be there if you downloaded the correct v2.0.1 and follow the instructions as in the readme.

I fixed the lag problem in PSX emulator for 360 (Unmark frame skip and problem resolve!)
Great! That's the way. I knew because I used PCSXR-360 2.1.1b on my Xbox360.
However, the disadvantage of "unmark: Use Framelimit" is the FMV plays rather fast.

Remember everybody starts somewhere and if you teach rather than scold they can become valid testers in the future.
All right, Hero-sama. I'll remember your advice.

stodgy

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 22, 2021, 04:46:21 pm »
Hello guys good afternoon-night! all problems solved, game running good in all my systems (also i give a double check to the readme, thank u for the advice). Now i'll try another modifications.
Thanks u  injoon84 for the help. :)

acediez

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v2.0.2)
« Reply #418 on: August 22, 2021, 11:02:44 pm »
v2.0.2
- Script: fixed a typo.

That's it. Not a critical update at all :P

I also updated the readme and corrected the address issue Piotyr and injoon84 pointed out.

Thanks for all the bug reports and kind words on the project, but please double check things on your end before assuming it's a bug caused by the hack. I'm honestly not looking at a bug report until I get at least one other person confirming it.

Using the EDC/ECC recalculator is important. Disc based games have checksums to verify and fix small errors from reading files from a disc. If you don’t update those checksums when the disc files change, you risk having your changes either reverted or completly broken.

By the way, I can't really verify or debug issues specific to esoteric settings like old emulators on old consoles. Even if you really are experiencing issues that are specific to the hack and not the original game... if it's happening on a very specific setup I don't have access to, I can't do anything about it. Try the hack somewhere else. My benchmark is original hardware (modded PS2) and accurate emulators (mainly Mednafen/Beetle PSX).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 08:37:36 pm by acediez »

ZEROmaverick

• View Profile
Re: Mega Man X5 Improvement Project Addendum (v2.0.2)
« Reply #419 on: August 25, 2021, 03:04:54 pm »
I tested (an completed)  X4 v1.13 X5 v2.0.2 and X6 v2.6.1 on Modded PlayStation Classic and they work perfect for me! no issues found