News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Is there a "Random Encounters toggle on/off" hack for Final Fantasy VI?  (Read 2056 times)

Special

• View Profile
So I've noticed there was a hack of Final Fantasy II/IV which actually does this, shown in this hack here.

I've always wanted something like this for Final Fantasy III/VI, since keeping levels low in this game to min/max certain things is actually helpful and having to constantly run is just tedious... anyway does something like this exist for Final Fantasy III/VI?

Disch

• NES Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a "Random Encounters toggle on/off" hack for Final Fantasy VI?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 08:03:26 pm »
Since there's an in-game item that has this effect already (Moogle Charm), I can't imagine this hack would be difficult to create if it doesn't exist already.

But I'm not familiar with existing hacks so I don't know if it exists or not  =x

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 08:12:39 pm »
Yeah it's sorta already coded into the game with that relic effect, but that item is not legally acquired until much later in the game, also needs a Moogle, and uses up a relic slot...

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 09:14:20 pm »
Yeah it's sorta already coded into the game with that relic effect, but that item is not legally acquired until much later in the game, also needs a Moogle, and uses up a relic slot...

That makes it one of the more tedious variations on the theme then (as opposed to simple late game/collectable option or consumables) but in most cases there will be a flag in the game that using the equip sets. You would then make a cheat to hold this hack at that, which you could presumably spin into a hack (the menu stuff is a bit harder) or possibly another more amenable item that does not burn a possibly valuable item slot if said item flags are all encompassing (if they are binary effects then it is easy enough to kick a 32 bit value or something to each item and have 32 binary or stackable effects) rather than specific routines within the game.

Anyway two main approaches

1) Conventional cheat finding.
2) Analyse the battle determination routine (or the equip/consumption routine where applicable).

1) is much as it sounds and like you would find infinite health or something you would do this. Binary flags are often annoying to narrow down as simple turn on, check for change, turn off, check for change... so I do encourage a leaving it alone, wandering around and doing everything (or at least lots) but change the state and then check to see what remained the same. As far as do everything but then some emulators will even have functions like new branch taken but I am not aware if any of the systems Final Fantasy 6 is on have emulators with this functionality, but at the same time I don't know SNES debuggers.
2) will likely see you play with some assembly, and not necessarily the nice and gentle tracing session introduction some like as an intro to it all, though still a good learning experience which grants the usual "if it is the thing that will see you learn it then go right ahead". Two main methods for final fantasy style random battles (obviously monsters on map in other games is different) I would look at first are each step has a random chance of activating (possibly cumulative or increasing chance each step) or at each change of map location/return from battle a random number generator fires and it will be that many steps/seconds/frames before the next battle. I don't know that I have ever seen a combo approach of random chance and step counter (any step has 10% say but after 20 steps/20 seconds you will be in another) but it is well within reason and I don't look at that many games for this sort of thing.

For the step counter approach then you could still find that with a cheat search (walking one square back and forth will not see much change other than game time counter and the step counter itself (whether ascending to a value or descending to 0 I would not like to guess at... generally older systems don't do great with descending logic but it is by no means an oddity or that hard that it would be strange to do it). Whether you want to guess a step counter and try possibly in vain to find something that does not exist is up to you. Once you find the counter make a cheat to hold either the step counter low (if the game uses steps for another purpose this might not be ideal) or expected steps at 999 or whatever (the average person using this sort of cheat likely not making it to 999 steps between towns and dungeons or other map changes). Alternatively follow it on up and see if there is a flag somewhere from the item equip it uses in this.

For other games with slightly different equips there can be different effects used (such items will usually have in game fluff like "drastically reduces chances of encounter, save for bosses", reduces encounter rate by ??%, as well as more subtle ones like only weak creatures/only strong creatures) but that is getting off topic. Barring the bosses only fluff if you do see such things it tends to be an indicator of a chance calculator rather than counter but not always.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 09:43:08 pm »
Alternatively, you could probably hack the game to insert the Moogle Charm somewhere early in the game (such as replace one of many junk items with it) or just put it in a store.
And change the price.
Then hack it so that anyone can equip it.

Even though it's a popular game so the information is probably already out there,
you could probably hack store info by looking for the item IDs, then search for a sequence of item IDs matching what the store sells.

As to equip, binary flags are more difficult.
But you can look for a character name list. Games tend to store character IDs in the same order.
Then you can often guess that binary flags will be in the same order.
The 1s bit for the first character, 2s bit for the second character, 4s bit for the third, as on. Since SNES is a little-endian, the first 8 characters would probably be the first byte, then the next 8 for the second byte (I know FF6 has 14 standard characters, then a few special PCs then a bunch of dummy slots). Then do some binary math. (assume setting the character's bit to 0 is can't equip, 1 = can)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 12:56:01 am »
Thinking a little more about this, it would probably be a whole lot simpler to just make a quick gameshark code that makes exp won from fights always zero, there are codes already that do similar like 2x, 5x, 65256 exp, etc. having exp just be 0 would achieve the same thing pretty much, at least for the reasons I'm after for it. But having a nice menu hack for a toggle certainly would be cool.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 03:02:22 am »
I assume the reason to not want EXP is for the purpose of keeping Levels low until a desired Esper is obtained and then grinding for the stat bonuses?
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 07:21:30 am »
Heh. Missed the stat reasons when skimming and assumed the usual speed/tedium. My bad.

5x experience? Assuming that was not a numpad slip for 4x or 8x that would be odd. Such things are usually made by doing a shift to the resulting experience -- you can do 5x (it is only 4x+1x after all) but it would be extra effect.

That said if there is one for straight 64K experience then I imagine it will be the location of the experience at the end of a battle (or accumulating during) and just set to max value rather than fun with shifts. Should be just as easy to set to 0.

Ignoring the above then alternatively if you do want drops from battles (I know you said 6 and not 8 but there are still some drops and steals), or something like the normal game experience, then it might also be an option to find wherever the stats for the characters are held in RAM and set them back to 0 when the time comes. If you are lucky it will be an experience counter for each character that you set to 0 and everything follows along in a prebaked progression, if not then you get to do all the stats as well but they are usually nearby anyway.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 09:32:20 am »
I will echo that it's super simple to just make the Moogle Charm equippable by anyone, and then insert it into one of the first chests in the game. FF3usMe can edit the "who can equip" flags, and FFMDE can edit the chest. It's a hack that you could finish in less than 10 minutes. I have done it in my hack several times to do debugging on maps and event edits.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 11:17:55 am »
I assume the reason to not want EXP is for the purpose of keeping Levels low until a desired Esper is obtained and then grinding for the stat bonuses?

Yup, pretty much.

And this guide actually has one listed (haven't tested it yet). https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/snes/554041-final-fantasy-iii/faqs/7126

415.      AA2A-54D8      Gain no experience (for expert players only!)