News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda 1 Redux / The Legend of Zelda Redux  (Read 125839 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Zelda 1 Redux / The Legend of Zelda Redux
« Reply #440 on: September 29, 2020, 01:12:37 pm »
Will do.

EDIT;
Just tried it and same results. Same ROM( Legend of Zelda, The (U) (PRG 0).nes ). No other problems exist AFAIK.

Just to be sure.
You are applying main Redux first and then the LA GFX patch?
You are still using the IPSes, correct?

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: September 29, 2020, 01:18:03 pm »
Just to be sure.
You are applying main Redux first and then the LA GFX patch?
You are still using the IPSes, correct?
Yes and yes. I have never compiled from the source.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: September 29, 2020, 05:13:13 pm »
Yes and yes. I have never compiled from the source.

I just patched a clean PRG0 ROM of Zelda 1 (CRC32: d7ae93df, MD5: 337bd6f1a1163df31bf2633665589ab0) with both the Zelda1_Redux.ips patch (inside /patches/ folder) and the Link's Awakening GFX.ips patch (inside /patches/optional/ folder), and it works fine for me, no visual glitches for neither the burnable bush, nor the cracked walls in Dungeons. Are you sure you are using those very IPS patches for your build?
A perfect place to test the 4 cracked walls inside dungeons, is inside 1st Quest Dungeon 4, there's a specific room in that dungeon that has all 4 walls bombable.

Here's some images of the same assets on my end, with both patches applied to a clean Zelda 1 ROM:

Also, make sure it's not the PRG1 ROM as well, it has to be PRG0 as PRG1 has some slight offset changes in some other banks, which might be why certain tiles are not being printed properly.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 05:20:34 pm by ShadowOne333 »

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: September 29, 2020, 07:15:13 pm »
I just patched a clean PRG0 ROM of Zelda 1 (CRC32: d7ae93df, MD5: 337bd6f1a1163df31bf2633665589ab0) with both the Zelda1_Redux.ips patch (inside /patches/ folder) and the Link's Awakening GFX.ips patch (inside /patches/optional/ folder), and it works fine for me, no visual glitches for neither the burnable bush, nor the cracked walls in Dungeons. Are you sure you are using those very IPS patches for your build?
A perfect place to test the 4 cracked walls inside dungeons, is inside 1st Quest Dungeon 4, there's a specific room in that dungeon that has all 4 walls bombable.

Here's some images of the same assets on my end, with both patches applied to a clean Zelda 1 ROM:

Also, make sure it's not the PRG1 ROM as well, it has to be PRG0 as PRG1 has some slight offset changes in some other banks, which might be why certain tiles are not being printed properly.
Ah, there's the problem. CRC32. Gonna have to go looking for that ROM. The one I'm using is the dump from 1997, CRC 3FE272FB. Weird thing though, the patches work fine otherwise.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 30, 2020, 01:13:53 am »
Ah, there's the problem. CRC32. Gonna have to go looking for that ROM. The one I'm using is the dump from 1997, CRC 3FE272FB. Weird thing though, the patches work fine otherwise.
It kinda makes sense in a way.
Some of the other versions of Zelda 1 only have some slight change in code, I remember this when trying to port over the CAUTION screen when saving from PRG1 to PRG0, and the changes are not as many, and only in certain banks, so it makes sense that only some slight things might have shifted in the PRG1 ROM.

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: September 30, 2020, 12:37:03 pm »
Having a hard time finding the ROM you stated, doesn't seem to be a commonly available one, but seems to be used all over the place but many ROM hackers.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: September 30, 2020, 12:51:13 pm »
Having a hard time finding the ROM you stated, doesn't seem to be a commonly available one, but seems to be used all over the place but many ROM hackers.
Search for either "Legend of Zelda, The (U) (PRG0) [!].nes" or "Legend of Zelda, The (U).nes"
Either of those should give you the proper ROM.

The3Dude

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 30, 2020, 02:22:25 pm »

I can make you an IPS that converts your PRG1 to PRG0. If you'd like. I just have to use PRG1 as the base ROM and then PRG0 as the modified one.
~The3Dude~

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 30, 2020, 06:31:26 pm »
I can make you an IPS that converts your PRG1 to PRG0. If you'd like. I just have to use PRG1 as the base ROM and then PRG0 as the modified one.
Wasn't using PRG1. As it turns out, Shadow and I are using the same rom. The difference in CRC numbers was ROM hash VS file hash.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 30, 2020, 07:47:41 pm »
Is anyone else having issues with the LA GFX patch?
Or even the Original GFX for that matter?

I can get it to run just fine on my end if I apply the main Redux IPS first over a clean ROM, and then the LA GFX IPS second over the already patched Redux ROM. I'm using Lunar IPS for patching, and FCEUX for testing.
If I compile the ROM from source by uncommenting the LA GFX option inside /code/optional.asm, then it gives me the same result as well.

I can't seem to replicate the issue on my end, so I'm curious if other people have it as well.

CoolCatBomberMan

• View Profile
« Reply #450 on: September 30, 2020, 10:13:35 pm »
A little late regarding lexluthermiester and ROMs, but the site I normally use has the right ROM. Not sure if it's okay to post its name, though.

ifightdragons

• View Profile
« Reply #451 on: October 01, 2020, 07:10:49 am »
Wasn't using PRG1. As it turns out, Shadow and I are using the same rom. The difference in CRC numbers was ROM hash VS file hash.

What does this mean, and how did you fix it?

I reckon several people will have the exact same issue as you had, so it would be nice to actually leave them with the solution as well. :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 07:47:04 am by ifightdragons »

Cyneprepou4uk

• I am the baldest romhacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: October 01, 2020, 06:30:50 pm »
Every rom has additional 16 bytes (header) at the beginning of the file, plus data from the cartridge.

Usually hash is calculated from the whole file, but some people calculate hash from data only for whatever reason. In case of nes, I assume this dude took hash from fceux emulator, which displays hash from data and doesn't include header.
iromhacker.ru - NES ROM hacking tutorials for beginners. Please use Google Translate browser extension

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: October 01, 2020, 07:15:46 pm »
A little late regarding lexluthermiester and ROMs, but the site I normally use has the right ROM. Not sure if it's okay to post its name, though.
Unfortunately it isn't, very strictly against RHDN policy. However, Shadow and I have the ROM sorted out..
What does this mean, and how did you fix it?

I reckon several people will have the exact same issue as you had, so it would be nice to actually leave them with the solution as well. :)
As it turns out, we were actually using the same ROM. The CRC32 data he referred to was the file CRC and the data I stated was the ROM CRC, but after running it through RHDN's rom hasher, it turns out the files were the same. See below;

Database match: Legend of Zelda, The (USA)
Database: No-Intro: Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20180803-121122)
File SHA-1: DAB79C84934F9AA5DB4E7DAD390E5D0C12443FA2
File CRC32: D7AE93DF
ROM SHA-1: A12D74C73A0481599A5D832361D168F4737BBCF6
ROM CRC32: 3FE272FB

Every rom has additional 16 bytes (header) at the beginning of the file, plus data from the cartridge.

Usually hash is calculated from the whole file, but some people calculate hash from data only for whatever reason. In case of nes, I assume this dude took hash from fceux emulator, which displays hash from data and doesn't include header.
Nestopia does the same thing and that is what I was seeing.

So here's the question I for everyone:
If you have time, can you download the following IPS patches and test them?
This one first;
https://github.com/ShadowOne333/The-Legend-of-Zelda-Redux/raw/master/patches/Zelda1_Redux.ips
Then this one;
https://github.com/ShadowOne333/The-Legend-of-Zelda-Redux/raw/master/patches/optional/Link's%20Awakening%20GFX.ips

What we need to verify is whether or not bombable walls & burnable bushes are glitched. From the start screen, going directly right will show a burnable bush, or go one screen up to see the bombable wall.

I'm seeing glitches as shown in the screenshots I posted a few days ago(a few posts above).
Is anyone else seeing the glitches? Or does it look proper?

Cyneprepou4uk

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: October 02, 2020, 05:10:36 am »
rom D7AE93DF, Mednafen emulator, applying Zelda1_Redux.ips

Spoiler:

then applying Link's Awakening GFX.ips atop of it

Spoiler:

iromhacker.ru - NES ROM hacking tutorials for beginners. Please use Google Translate browser extension

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: October 02, 2020, 05:10:10 pm »
rom D7AE93DF, Mednafen emulator, applying Zelda1_Redux.ips

Spoiler:

then applying Link's Awakening GFX.ips atop of it

Spoiler:

Ok cool, Thank You. So something is going wrong on my end. Going to have to figure out what that might be.. Using LunarIPS and the standard ROM in the standard way..

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #456 on: October 02, 2020, 05:34:58 pm »
Yeah I'm not sure how to replicate it neither :/
I tried several things, but both compiling and patching with IPS works for me everytime.

Only way I can debug this is if someone sends me the faulty ROM so I can run proper checks.

Cyneprepou4uk

• View Profile
« Reply #457 on: October 02, 2020, 06:11:20 pm »
@lexluthermiester, try a different emulator

lexluthermiester

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: October 02, 2020, 06:38:02 pm »
@lexluthermiester, try a different emulator
I've tried 4 different emu's on Windows and 2 on Android. The emulators are not the problem.

Cyneprepou4uk

• View Profile
« Reply #459 on: October 02, 2020, 08:15:45 pm »
Record a video of the whole hash checking, downloading patches, patching and testing process. Also post hashes after apllying each patch.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 08:56:38 pm by Cyneprepou4uk »