News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda 1 Redux / The Legend of Zelda Redux  (Read 15460 times)

aml435

• View Profile
Re: Zelda 1 Redux / The Legend of Zelda Redux
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2019, 08:25:08 pm »
Not sure where the ampersand is being used, yet. If I find it, I'll let you know.

Also, for some reason when I start a new game, it only lets me go up to 8 bombs, though both increases are for 10 more, leading to 28 bombs. Not sure why.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2019, 01:20:02 pm »
Fixed the Money-Making game icons for the "-" and "+" symbols.
They should now show up properly.

Although, I am still not sure where the hell does the game use the Ampersand (&) symbol at all.
I replaced the Ampersand with the + in the meanwhile, but if needed, I can still work something out to make space for the & (if the game does indeed use it, if not then I won't put it back).

Just updated the beta patch in the OP.

Be sure to check out the new beta, there's two new features in there :^}
Let's see if people can spot them out.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2019, 01:47:22 pm »
Just updated the beta patch in the OP.

Be sure to check out the new beta, there's two new features in there :^}
Let's see if people can spot them out.
Will test it out tonight!

aml435

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2019, 02:54:22 am »
I love a lot of the little changes that seem pretty recent, but I did notice a glitch. The Bombable walls on the overworld can be walked through now. You can't enter the doorway til you bomb, but you can walk though the wall before that.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2019, 10:39:40 am »
I love a lot of the little changes that seem pretty recent, but I did notice a glitch. The Bombable walls on the overworld can be walked through now. You can't enter the doorway til you bomb, but you can walk though the wall before that.
What the heck?! I just checked, and yeah indeed the bombable overworld tiles can be walked through.
But why? D:

How can I change the collision of those tiles? I am using tiles $54 up to $57 in the hack.
I will see if I can find something, but I have never dealt with tile collision before, so I'm in the blind with that. :/

If anyone has a clue as to how to fix that in particular, please do let me know.
I went to great lengths to implement those new tiles just so they glitch out on me lol

aml435

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2019, 05:57:03 pm »
Other than that, everything seems great.
This is getting pretty close to becoming the definitive way to play Legend of Zelda.

Pretty much the only other thing I've felt the game was missing that isn't really covered  in your todo list, is that I've always thought it'd be interesting to replace the duplicate bosses (Level 4 Gleeok & Level 7 Aquamentus).
Maybe make the Level 7 Aquamentus a Patra, since it's very much a boss type enemy and is far more difficult than an Aquamentus and maybe a Lanmola for the end of Level 4 (perhaps with some statues adding supporting fire).

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2019, 07:27:38 pm »
Weird and kinda interesting. What's even more strange is that some walls that show the bombable tile, can't actually be bombed. My guess is that these are differences between first and second quest maps.

aml435

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2019, 09:10:39 pm »
Actually, I thought of two more (possibly optional) little changes that could be cool to make it more consistent with later titles:

Rename the Magical Sword to the Master Sword and make the handle blue.
Change the Flute to the Ocarina and change its graphics to look like the Ocarina from later games.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2019, 11:39:54 pm »
I'd LOVE for that to be reworked to be a complete SNES version of the NES game with Quest 1 and 2 levels.
I fully agree with you.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2019, 12:20:45 pm »
Change the Flute to the Ocarina and change its graphics to look like the Ocarina from later games.
This is already done when you apply the Link Awakening GFX patch.

aml435

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2019, 03:52:46 pm »
Yeah, just not a fan of the Link's Awakening look for Zelda 1.

mdtauk

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2019, 02:36:03 am »
Rather than just re-using Link's Awakening, you could update the sprites based on the BS Zelda - which is as close to an official remake the game has gotten

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2019, 10:50:03 am »
Yeah, about the collision status of tiles, I was afraid of that side effect. I currently don't know how it's coded, but I suspect it's something silly simple, like a value somewhere that defines the boundary between "walkable" and "solid" tiles. Most likely, the 8x8 pixel tiles are individually set to be one of those two states, and not the 2x2 TSAs.

I suggest you try with a higher tile code, just to see if my theory can be confirmed.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2019, 10:52:51 am »
Yeah, about the collision status of tiles, I was afraid of that side effect. I currently don't know how it's coded, but I suspect it's something silly simple, like a value somewhere that defines the boundary between "walkable" and "solid" tiles. Most likely, the 8x8 pixel tiles are individually set to be one of those two states, and not the 2x2 TSAs.

I suggest you try with a higher tile code, just to see if my theory can be confirmed.

I tested values yesterday starting from 54 (where my new cracked tiles are), and I started getting solid tiles around 88 or so. Though it seems 89 is only half solid, but 8A is solid again, so somewhere around 8X is where tiles start being solid.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:32:10 am by ShadowOne333 »

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2019, 12:42:08 pm »
Yeah, just not a fan of the Link's Awakening look for Zelda 1.
To each their own. I love the LA look.

Rather than just re-using Link's Awakening, you could update the sprites based on the BS Zelda - which is as close to an official remake the game has gotten
How would that work with the colour limitations?

Rewind

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2019, 11:01:14 am »
Increase Max Rupees
Pretty sure this might not be possible without either expanding the ROM or infringing on other values used for the game's data.  Its 255 for a reason, 256 numbers possible which is the max 2 digit 16-bit integer.
So unless someone can find a way to create or find an unused byte chances are a max limit of 999 isn't going to be supported.
Not completely sure though, I don't know much of how NES games work.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2019, 01:36:12 am »
Increase Max Rupees
Pretty sure this might not be possible without either expanding the ROM or infringing on other values used for the game's data.  Its 255 for a reason, 256 numbers possible which is the max 2 digit 16-bit integer.
So unless someone can find a way to create or find an unused byte chances are a max limit of 999 isn't going to be supported.
Not completely sure though, I don't know much of how NES games work.
IIRC, it's already be done on other LOZ1 projects. I think it just a matter of shifting values, but that's only a guess.

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2019, 12:16:28 pm »
Sure, a two-byte money counter is doable, and not very hard, but I wonder if it is THAT relevant. I did plenty of playthroughs of this game, and the time I spent farming was minimal at best. However, knowing the secrets that give money ("It's a secret to everybody") help a lot. The big expense is the Blue Ring, and I think it's fair to make it hard to obtain. Having a limit of 255 rupees means that you can't accumulate past that point, so in a way, you're forced to be economical at some point after finding the actual secret store where the Blue Ring is sold. Having a limit of, say, 999 rupees would make it too easy to just accumulate like crazy through normal fights (i.e. not even trying to farm) and soon enough, any expense is like pocket change.

Just my two rupees...

pleasejust

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2019, 10:05:46 pm »
Yes, I agree with Trax. In general, you need to avoid making changes that affect the intended gameplay/difficulty balancing too much at the expense of canon. Gameplay is always king and trumps everything... You should make everything more expensive if you're going to go with 999 rupee limit. That would be ok I guess but kind of pointless because you're just rebalancing the economy simply for the sake of a # of rupees just because it's canon.

IcePenguin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2019, 11:28:14 pm »
Possible additions (these might NOT be implemented in the final hack):
  • Add a proper arrow item (and enemy drop entry for it), and an arrow counter
  • Diagonal sword swing

I think the arrow should be an addition.  Perhaps make them only buy-able in shops, so we have reason to use those extra 744 rupees.

Yes, I agree with Trax. In general, you need to avoid making changes that affect the intended gameplay/difficulty balancing too much at the expense of canon. Gameplay is always king and trumps everything... You should make everything more expensive if you're going to go with 999 rupee limit. That would be ok I guess but kind of pointless because you're just rebalancing the economy simply for the sake of a # of rupees just because it's canon.

You and Trax make a good point, but there is a positive side to 999 rupees.  It's harder to waste rupees.  Once you reach the 255 rupee maximum, any potential rupees found would be wasted.  (via enemy drop, or secret)  For new players, who don't know where secrets are, it could be frustrating to find a secret, only to lose it.  For me personally, I stop exploring when at 255 rupees, out of fear of wasting a secret.  With a higher rupee max, it'd be less likely to happen.

Adding arrows into shops would help balance it.