News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Zelda 1 Redux / The Legend of Zelda Redux  (Read 15518 times)

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
Re: Zelda 1 Redux / The Legend of Zelda Redux
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2019, 11:22:59 am »
I found the code for text typing speed. RAM $29, set to 06 at 0x481D. Change 06 to any number to change the delay between letters. Lower value makes text type faster. I think a value of 03 or 04 would be good.

As for bombs, you can always insert a few more bombs into the Item Drop Distribution Table (unofficial name). Check this handy visual chart made by Baxter:
https://www.zeldaspeedruns.com/loz/generalknowledge/item-drops-chart

RAM $052A is a counter for enemies killed. Resets to 0 after 9. Enemy Group X never gives items, so they don't have any associated table. Each other group has a probability coefficient of dropping an item, taken from table at 0x1303E. For example, Enemy Group B has a value ox 0x98 = 152 decimal. Randomizer value must be lower than the coefficient, so 152 / 256 = 59% chance of item drop. If the enemy gives an item, it's taken from the corresponding table the enemy code belongs to, and the index is $052A. Check my disassembly of Bank 4 for more details:

http://www.bwass.org/romhack/zelda1/zelda1bank4.txt

As you can see from the chart, only Group B gives bombs. You could have other enemy groups give bombs, to balance things out.
Thank you so much for that info!
I have already made the text speed change, set it to $04 since I feel $03 prints too fast for the SFX to catch up with it.
As for the bomb drops info, I haven't done any changes yet, but I'll see what I can do with the info provided. :)
Very appreciated!

Good to see that you've started working on a Zelda 1 hack! I honestly feel like Zelda 1 has the same issue as FF1 hacking in which there's like a handful of hacks that "rehaul the entire game but for all the wrong reasons or no reason" but not a proper "definitive edition" to play (I was planning on maybe doing that with FF1? not sure), so this would most definitely be a welcome addition.

As for any contributions or changes I can give, there's that Z1 hack/translation of mine you reviewed a while back, if you want to take a few notes from there (the Readme has all the little touches I added, though if you want to do most of this project on your own, that's completely fine and fair).

Outside of that, I can't really tell what other additions to give, except for the fact that it would be very nice if you could add in the select switchfrom Legend of Link,  or something similar in that regard (not having to constantly pause for weapon switches), and maybe some boss balancing? (Digdogger and Gohma are just absolutely pathetic, and some bosses like the Hydra-like dragon are irritating). As for other suggestions, I'm really against the idea of the sword swing mechanic because then that somewhat falls into the pit of the aforementioned "rehaul for no reason" hack.

But yeah, this seems like a great idea! Hope the project goes well.
Oh I didn't even remember I did that review lol
The changes do sound interesting :)
From those, I would like to ask what palette did you choose for the Triforce in the title screen, and the tunics?
And also, what text changes did you do to incorporate the so called "Old man/Old woman" phrasing that Mato mentions in LoL?

ShadowOne333, so you wish to follow into Infidelity's footsteps.

First I wish to applaud to you for to take on such a huge challenge, but honestly speaking, it might be better overall for you to create your own NES homebrew game instead, taking Zelda as a inspiration or atleast recreate it as you see fit.
The original Zelda was pestered with so much hardcoding, it gave Infidelity and me a large amount of frustration. Some of my redesigns, were simply too big.

Not to forget to mention, he has put himself under his own deadline for his own project, but the results are less than optimal.

If it wasn't for the hardcoding, the game would have been more polished.
Mind you, I was only the graphic artist, but my journey with him gave me insight of how troublesome it is to altering a game, without the source code being available.

Edit: It might good to heed to criticism from the other reviewers, so you can avoid right off the bat some mistakes on the line.
http://www.romhacking.net/reviews/1934/#review
I can 100% understand why you say this.
From what I'm seeing and the code I have modified, Zelda 1 seems way too limited in terms of coding.
Some might say it's even obnoxious, not even Zelda 2 is as barebones as this one.

For as much as I'd like to recreate Zelda 1 as an NES homebrew game, I lack such expertise to make my own NES game, both in terms of 6502 coding and overall knowledge of the NES system.
What I will attempt is to make the best I can out of what the original game has and offers.
Thankfully enough, the game does have some free space to work with, and there's also the MMCX patches floating around, so if I do run out of space, maybe going for those could open up way more space if desired.

Both you and Infidelity made an amazing job with the Legend of Link hack. It's one of the most technically impressive hacks I've seen. The arrows and diagonal slash hacks he did really improve upon the original's mechanics. Just wish I could somehow implement it, even if they were optional patches haha.
And I do understand what you say about altering the original too much, that's why I tend to offer "optional" patches, so that people can customize the hack to their liking. If they don't like a certain change, they can undo it, and so on with changes that might seem too controversial. :P
Thanks for your input!

I'm kinda surprised you aren't going with Legend of Zelda - Quest 3 (SNES) as a base for the Zelda 1 Redux as its probably the best version of the classic game available
I'm not sure if I follow.
Do you mean BS The Legend of Zelda, the Satellaview ROM?
If that's so, then that's because that one is not as well-known of a Zelda game, and while it is indeed a Zelda 1 Remake, it is a completely different beast on its own. For starters, there's little to no documentation for it, and that's already a huge downside. Not to say it can't be done, I have done a lot of research on previously undocumented stuff (EarthBound mainly), but I wanted to improve upon the original first game on NES.
After all, this is the game that started the whole franchise. I think it deserves a good overhaul to make it much more enjoyable by mitigating or improving on some issues it had.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of that, I have updated the beta patch with the current version I have :)
Be sure to check it out in the link provided at the OP.

I have also created an "Optional patches" folder in the link, in which you can find a patch that changes the amount of bombs the upgrades gives you from 10 per upgrade, to 5 per upgrade, as requested by some people in here.
I might also start working on the optional graphics patch for Redux, since many people seem to be requesting "Link's Awakening" like graphics for Redux. And while I am strongly against modifying the original's graphics to that extend, I can at least offer such a patch as an optional thing for those that desire it.

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• Wait, this isn't Burger King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 03:32:40 pm »
Oh I didn't even remember I did that review lol
The changes do sound interesting :)
From those, I would like to ask what palette did you choose for the Triforce in the title screen, and the tunics?
And also, what text changes did you do to incorporate the so called "Old man/Old woman" phrasing that Mato mentions in LoL?

Triforce animation palettes are 2828282838303038 (palettes are located at addresses 9873-987A), though if you wanted a (maybe) smoother animation, then try 2828383830303838 (or experiment combinations of the main colors in there, which are 28, 38, and 30).
Tunic palettes are 22 (from 32) for blue tunic and 26 (from 16) for red tunic (heads up, there's actually 2 addresses for each tunic palette; one for when Link first picks up either ring (6B95-6B97) and one attached to your save file if the game detects your save file has either ring or not (A297-A299)).

So, on the topic of rewriting (get ready for a somewhat loaded answer):

How I rewrote the overworld/dungeon dialogue is basically
-Take original dialogue and translated dialogue from Legends of Localization
-Try to take which version of the line sounds better (if both are bad, then make a new line from scratch)
-Paraphrase it in a way that is more accurate, fits the space and is in character

The way I wrote the old man and lady is that I used much rarer synonyms of words, not only to help make them sound wiser, but also to save space on text (most of it was done in ZeldaTech, so I was limited to the space of the original lines. Luckily, though, I could just remove the blanks tiles that centered the text and I could cram in some more.

To differentiate the two, I made the old man speak a little bit more like a wise guide and have the old lady be a bit more casual, alongside referring to Link as "Dearie". Though, due to constrictions, I had to compensate and make statements shorter (I put in parenthesis what I could have possibly wrote if I had more space). Here's a few examples:

-Original: Walk into the waterfall
-My take: Behind the waterfal, lies an ally (Veiled by the waterfall, an ally awaits)
-Original: There are secrets where fairies don't live
-My take: Over a fairyless pond, play the Demon's song

-Original: Buy medicine before you go
-My take: Care to buy my brews, dearie? (Would you like to buy from my brews, dearie?)
-Original: Boy, you're rich!
-My take: Burn the loose tree. (Try to burn the tree that sticks out)

As for the shopkeeper, it was just tinkering the first line a bit and rephrasing the second one to make him sound more brash:

-Original: Boy, this is really expensive!
-My take: Care to buy me finest wares, me boy?

And that's basically what I did.

For as much as I'd like to recreate Zelda 1 as an NES homebrew game, I lack such expertise to make my own NES game, both in terms of 6502 coding and overall knowledge of the NES system.

If you want an easy alternative, NESmaker works I guess, but if you really want to pull off some of the really cool perks ROM hacks tend to have, then you'd still need to learn ASM.
Hey there

Thanatos-Zero

• NES Graphic Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 05:55:36 pm »
There are plenty of seasoned NES hacking veterans ShadowOne333.
If you need help in ASM, they can teach it to you.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2019, 01:47:13 am »
Been playing through and have to say this is coming along nicely. I have found an inconstancy when using the "Links Awakening GFX" patch. The graphic show is that of the "Skull" key, but the game refers to it as the "Lion" key in several places. Also, when Link or enemy's shoot arrows, when they are shot horizontally, they show the LA GFX but when shot vertically the original arrow GFX are shown.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2019, 10:24:11 am »
@DannyPlaysSomeGames the text points are really interesting. I'll take a look at the lines I've done and see if they can be reworked in a better way.
As for the title screen, I already had edited the title screen palette animation myself for my hack, but with your animation sequence the title screen looks so much better and not as bland!
I implemented it, and reworked it a little so the animation goes a little bit more smooth.
Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

There are plenty of seasoned NES hacking veterans ShadowOne333.
If you need help in ASM, they can teach it to you.
I am trying to do some learning on my own, for as limited as my learning in coding is at times haha, but I can say for sure that this community is amazing, I have had some great hackers help me before with some neat stuff that I could only dream of achieving. I am very grateful too all of those that have helped me so far!

Been playing through and have to say this is coming along nicely. I have found an inconstancy when using the "Links Awakening GFX" patch. The graphic show is that of the "Skull" key, but the game refers to it as the "Lion" key in several places. Also, when Link or enemy's shoot arrows, when they are shot horizontally, they show the LA GFX but when shot vertically the original arrow GFX are shown.
Oh yeah, for some reason the vertical sprite was still the original one.
I have already updated the GFX patch, and also renamed the Lion key to Skull key.
Try it again :)

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2019, 03:19:06 am »
Oh yeah, for some reason the vertical sprite was still the original one.
I have already updated the GFX patch, and also renamed the Lion key to Skull key.
Try it again :)
Ok cool! I'll give them both a run and chime back in soon!

superfantendo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2019, 08:26:59 am »
Looks like excellent work.

Please feel free to steal from http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1295/
I think these things were unique and worthwhile to carry forward:

• I recolored (maybe 5 or 6 of) the dungeons to give them all a unique palette but also make them fit thematically with the type of terrain surrounding their entrance. For example, 5 is brown (mountain), 8 is green (forest). I made 2 purple because I needed a purple one and wanted something weird for the moon-shaped dungeon.
  • It has Link's Awakening graphics like many other hacks but I also retrofit the bosses from their Oracle of Seasons incarnations.
  • Title screen with more recent Zelda logo
  • Candle=Lantern, Ring=Tunic etc.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2019, 11:42:59 am »
Went ahead and added a couple more points to the OP.
I already managed to modify a lot more things.
I'm currently in the process of transcribing everything I've done to this hack in .asm form, or rather make proper source code for the whole project.

Looks like excellent work.

Please feel free to steal from http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1295/
I think these things were unique and worthwhile to carry forward:

• I recolored (maybe 5 or 6 of) the dungeons to give them all a unique palette but also make them fit thematically with the type of terrain surrounding their entrance. For example, 5 is brown (mountain), 8 is green (forest). I made 2 purple because I needed a purple one and wanted something weird for the moon-shaped dungeon.
  • It has Link's Awakening graphics like many other hacks but I also retrofit the bosses from their Oracle of Seasons incarnations.
  • Title screen with more recent Zelda logo
  • Candle=Lantern, Ring=Tunic etc.
The optional GFX hack I made is actually taken from that project :P
Same applies for the title screen stuff and other things in your point.
The tunic I am keeping in the main hack and I have went ahead and renamed the red and blue rings to tunics, alongside their proper graphics.

Only thing I haven't implemented from that hack is the the recoloured dungeons.
I'd love to have such a thing for each dungeon, but I still haven't done enough research on Dungeon data to get to that point. I might actually implement that specific change into the main hack, but I'm not sure yet if keep it in the main hack, or make it optional.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been doing some research on unused Zelda 1 graphics, and bumped into this image:

Can someone confirm if the two tiles for water marked as unused in that image are actually unused in the final game?
I want to see if I can somehow implement cracked walls for the overworld as well.

@Trax, if you're reading this, do you know if the overworld tiles have a similar method (as the dungeon walls) for possibly adding cracked tiles to the overworld as well?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 09:11:15 pm by ShadowOne333 »

KevvyLava

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2019, 08:23:36 pm »
I got this to happen somehow: https://imgur.com/a/bGgZy35

Not sure if it's related to the hack.  Happened after I came out of the Bow room and walked to the next room.  Using Mesen 0.9.8 if that matters.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2019, 08:48:06 pm »

Not sure if it's related to the hack.  Happened after I came out of the Bow room and walked to the next room.  Using Mesen 0.9.8 if that matters.
I can't find anything odd at first glance.
Could you help me point out the issue?

aml435

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2019, 11:17:28 pm »

I've had that happen on the automap + hack before pretty often. The floor tiles of some of the dungeons will just randomly change color.

lexluthermiester

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2019, 04:07:33 am »
Ok, tested the updated patches. Everything seems to be working well! The text and arrow GFX look good.

The remaining proposed changes seem very compelling. Will be happy to test when you need testers.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2019, 09:58:57 pm »
A long time ago I had this same idea of ​​merging several hacks into one and the result was this:

Automap Plus_0.2 + Relocalized_0.9 + Blue-er Ring Hacks

In Relocalized v0.9 had an interesting feature:

Staircases Removal.ips:

Removes the secret staircases found outside Level 5 and 6 (1st Quest) and
   outside a 30 rupees location (2nd Quest). Perhaps early entrances the
   developers forgot to remove. The limitation of only one entrance per screen
   forces them to be just secondary entrances to the labyrinths no matter what,
   and if you exit the labyrinth when you have entered it from the secondary
   entrance, the walking on stairs animation is absent.

And something they were planning:

Left to do:

* Implement the smooth screen transitions when you enter or exit a cave seen
   in the Japanese Famicom rerelease.

Finally I had done the same things that were done in 'Link's Awakening Redux', except that I used the hack that changed the font to the same as Oracle of Age / Seasons.

Font Improvement_1.2 + Censured Graphics Restored_1.1 + Photo Album Translation + Quality Of Life Improvements Hacks

The thing I like to do with older games is to mix hacks into something new.  8)

« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 10:09:10 pm by darthvaderx »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2019, 10:32:47 pm »
The staircases removal is already implemented. I did it manually when I noticed it.
As for Link's palette in Dungeon 3, I completely reworked it in what I think is a much better palette choice that doesn't sacrifice much.

Added more points to the OP.
I think these should be the final ones.

--------------------------------------------------------------

To anyone who has any experience hacking Zelda 1's overworld:
Do you know if it's possible to create new strips of tiles so the ow doesn't look as blocky?
Like adding some diagonal tiles or something to give it more of a rounded shape.

I'm not sure if the overworld can deal with a per-tile kind of mapping, or if it's hardcoded to do vertical tile "strips".
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 10:49:46 pm by ShadowOne333 »

DannyPlaysSomeGames

• Wait, this isn't Burger King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2019, 10:50:13 pm »
Left to do:

* Implement the smooth screen transitions when you enter or exit a cave seen
   in the Japanese Famicom rerelease.

Oh right! I was gonna comment on a few things about the TCRF stuff.

Aside from the smoother screen transitions, I was also curious about finding a way to reduce the slowdown so that the game doesn't lag as bad (though considering how hardcoded it is, I feel that is a much more daunting task).

In other news, I'm glad that I was able to help out with the project, ShadowOne. I always try my best to share ideas and support others.
Hey there

Trax

• View Profile
    • Trax ROM Hacking
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2019, 06:48:49 pm »
In Zelda 1, there are two ways to determine the tiles that make up one 2x2 tile unit. If the Tile Code is lower than 0x10, then the four tiles are arbitrary, and selected from table at 0x169B4. If it's >= 0x10, it always follows the pattern C,C+1,C+2,C+3. So, for example, Secret Tile 0xE6, which is a Bombable Wall, has Tile Code 0xD8. It means that the 2x2 unit is made of D8-D9-DA-DB, in inverted N order.

For secret tiles, look at 0x16976, in bank 5. There are 6 different values for the 6 different secret tile codes, from 0xE5 to 0xEA. That's for the Overworld.

For Dungeons, all the Tile Mapping codes you need are at 0x15FEE. If you have the graphics you want, it should be straightforward.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2019, 08:00:53 pm »
I'm kinda surprised you aren't going with Legend of Zelda - Quest 3 (SNES) as a base for the Zelda 1 Redux as its probably the best version of the classic game available

I'd LOVE for that to be reworked to be a complete SNES version of the NES game with Quest 1 and 2 levels.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2019, 03:17:26 pm »
In Zelda 1, there are two ways to determine the tiles that make up one 2x2 tile unit. If the Tile Code is lower than 0x10, then the four tiles are arbitrary, and selected from table at 0x169B4. If it's >= 0x10, it always follows the pattern C,C+1,C+2,C+3. So, for example, Secret Tile 0xE6, which is a Bombable Wall, has Tile Code 0xD8. It means that the 2x2 unit is made of D8-D9-DA-DB, in inverted N order.

For secret tiles, look at 0x16976, in bank 5. There are 6 different values for the 6 different secret tile codes, from 0xE5 to 0xEA. That's for the Overworld.

For Dungeons, all the Tile Mapping codes you need are at 0x15FEE. If you have the graphics you want, it should be straightforward.

Ah the Dungeon tile maps I have already modified :)

Actually, I just finished the left wall today, and updated the patch so that now all 4 walls in the Dungeons that can be bombed will show a slight cracked graphic in them.
What I had to do to make space was completely remove both the extra "-" (62) and "+" (64) symbols used in the sprites, and replaced them with my modified "x" and "infinity" symbols.
I already changed (what I think were) all the calls and uses of the $62 dash for the $2F dash, but for some reason I can't seem to find ANY place in the ROM where "+" could be used in the game. "&" also I can't find anywhere outside of the "Register Your Name" table for the characters. Do you know if these two (+,&) are used anywhere in the ROM at all?

As for the Overworld bombable walls, so the tiles in the overworld all have to be right next to each other in a range of 4 tiles?
So let's say I change the D8 for the bombable walls to 54, that means it will take 54-55-56-57 as the tiles for it, right?

Seeing how they require 4 tiles altogether, I think I will have to wait until I modify the Automap Plus code to make room for those.
I know Automap assigns tiles $50-$57 for the 1/8 hearts sprites, but if I change it to 1/4 hearts instead, I can free up 4 tiles, which are the exact number I need for those.
Pushable blocks and burning trees sadly might not be possible, but cracked walls in the overworld are for sure possible if I rework Automap to have 1/4 hearts instead of 1/8.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To all the people testing the beta patch:

I just updated the patch with the latest changes (all cracked walls in Dungeons are now implemented, and some more reworked graphics and fixed text pointers).

Please check if there is any places where a "-" could have been replaced by an "x", same goes for "+".
Test all the text in the game, and also let me know if anything odd can be found.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 03:27:30 pm by ShadowOne333 »

aml435

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2019, 07:55:41 pm »
One thing I noticed in the Money Making Game now, the Infinity sign shows for winning money and an X shows next to the amounts that you lose, even though a minus sign shows next to the numbers at the start of the game.

It seems like you could just keep the minus symbol next to the losing amounts and then either the infinity symbol or the X symbol next to the winning amount.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 08:37:02 pm by aml435 »

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2019, 08:10:17 pm »
@aml435:
For some reason, I can't see the images, but from what you mention I can get the picture.
So that's where the + is being used, in the Money Making Game. I will fix it tomorrow. Should be fairly easy to do.

But what about the "&"?
Where is the Ampersand symbol used in the game?

----------------------------------

Out of that, I have some splendid news!
I managed to modify the Automap code to work for 1/4 hearts instead of 1/8 all by myself! :P
I still have to test it thoroughly, but so far it's looking awesome!
This shall make some room for cracked overworld tiles ;)