News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Circle of the Moon: Card Mode Hack  (Read 6116 times)

Dev Anj

• View Profile
Circle of the Moon: Card Mode Hack
« on: October 04, 2019, 12:57:48 am »
Circle of the Moon did many things right, but its power progression was not one of them. I made a mod to specifically place them in the world, allowing the player's power to progress better while not gating the main gimmick of the game behind random chance. Enemies who did drop cards before now drop meat instead, as a joke.

This was made for the USA release of Circle of the Moon. It has not been tested on other versions.

Get it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EvID2taAgOFZ70cwpTKC9teLLKjHxGsT/view?usp=sharing

acediez

• View Profile
Re: Circle of the Moon: Card Mode Hack
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 07:46:01 am »
Looks great! I love this game, and this sounds like a great improvement. I usually get no more than 4-5 cards on any quick playthrough, even after playing it several times I still haven't used a bunch of them. Besides, having 100 new collectibles to look around for sounds fun, I hope you placed them well!

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
    • 1993P Doubleguy at Youtube
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 04:16:04 am »
A neat addition. Will give it a try and see how far this modifications can affect the original game.
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...
And he can't find who caused this."

Grimoire LD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 05:22:51 am »
I loved Circle of the Moon, but it does have its flaws... the DSS system is really cool in concept, but I think the issue is that they tied Everything to it. I feel that weapons, especially weapons, should not have been included as part of it and they should have been dropped or found throughout the game, each with varying powers and 3-4 of each kind to keep it interesting because some are worlds better than others.

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 02:49:53 pm »
Cool stuff! Do you think the game will be easier or harder with this edit?
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Azwel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 04:27:05 pm »
Great mod this the randomness was a huge issue in the game. Could you post the locations of the cards

Dev Anj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 02:52:11 am »
Cool stuff! Do you think the game will be easier or harder with this edit?

I think overall the game should be easier since you have more tools to handle everything at any given point of time, however it might still be prudent to not just rush through the game, as that can leave you a bit underleveled for the end. A streamer had this happen while trying out my mod yesterday.

Great mod this the randomness was a huge issue in the game. Could you post the locations of the cards

I could, but I prefer you find them out yourself. :P
However, I will say that you can usually get them the moment you enter a new area, I intentionally made backtracking for them fairly minimal.

Dev Anj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2019, 03:33:41 am »
Apologies for being late, but here's the official RHDN page for this mod: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4725/

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 08:57:38 pm »
This hack is a really nice addition! May I have a tiny question about the hack you made?
-Is it still possible to get Brilliant Plate in your hack (Battle Arena reward in the original version)?
"Did you know when one's most desperation time is? It's when he was beaten up by someone critically...

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 04:41:55 pm »
Still curious if this hack ends up making the game easier, or more difficult. :)

Dreamwhale

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 05:12:05 pm »
Still curious if this hack ends up making the game easier, or more difficult. :)

I played through the hacked version and I think it makes the game somewhat easier, since now you're more likely to get access to most cards. I remember having far less cards available late in the game in the original version back then. The game still remains pretty challenging (a bit too much at times, frankly), but now at least you get more helpful tools at your disposal to experiment with. Not worrying about grinding for cards also counts as making things easier in my book.

Overall this hack is really well done, all the card locations organically fit right in. This is definitely the way to play the game. Thank you very much, Dev Anj!  :thumbsup:

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 05:27:05 pm »
That's good to hear. I played through the original a year ago, and while I never felt things were too difficult, I did often wonder how much the experience would differ if I didn't have access to certain card combinations. I mainly hope that this hack doesn't change the difficulty too much from what I experienced, while keeping the level of difficulty not up to chance.

Dev Anj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 07:01:39 pm »
This hack is a really nice addition! May I have a tiny question about the hack you made?
-Is it still possible to get Brilliant Plate in your hack (Battle Arena reward in the original version)?

Unfortunately you can't get the Shining Armor in my mod, but I can re add it rather easily, perhaps as a monster reward if not a replacement for a HP/MP/Heart Max Up.

That's good to hear. I played through the original a year ago, and while I never felt things were too difficult, I did often wonder how much the experience would differ if I didn't have access to certain card combinations. I mainly hope that this hack doesn't change the difficulty too much from what I experienced, while keeping the level of difficulty not up to chance.

The difficulty is largely the same, the only thing in that regard is enemies providing more healing items. In my mind, that doesn't really hurt the difficulty because it simply shortens the grinding needed for players reliant on healing items.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 12:21:51 pm »
I played through the hacked version and I think it makes the game somewhat easier, since now you're more likely to get access to most cards. I remember having far less cards available late in the game in the original version back then. The game still remains pretty challenging (a bit too much at times, frankly), but now at least you get more helpful tools at your disposal to experiment with. Not worrying about grinding for cards also counts as making things easier in my book.

Overall this hack is really well done, all the card locations organically fit right in. This is definitely the way to play the game. Thank you very much, Dev Anj!  :thumbsup:

Are they placed out in the open or behind challenges?

Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Dreamwhale

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 01:26:33 pm »
IIrc, they're usually in places that are either difficult to reach, well guarded or hidden.

Aceearly1993

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 07:20:31 pm »
Unfortunately you can't get the Shining Armor in my mod, but I can re add it rather easily, perhaps as a monster reward if not a replacement for a HP/MP/Heart Max Up.

Sad to hear the story. I'll be waiting for your future update which added Brilliant Plate back to the game.

4lorn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Today at 04:46:02 am »
Can't speak much about CotM as I think it was one of the worst CVs in the series, but this seems to solve the card back tracking so good job there. If you plan on inserting the Shining Armor back, consider placing it somewhere else other than the Arena or rework how it's obtained. There was never a point in having it there since it felt like a poor reward - you just bypassed the game's greatest challenge, one where the armor would actually be useful. Outside the Arena's context, it matters little to nothing.