News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Master of mecha is pulling your strings: Chou Soujuu Mecha MG translation released!  (Read 2044 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Supper

A full English translation patch for the Nintendo DS game Chou Soujuu Mecha MG (Super Control Mecha MG) has been released!

In a world where giant robots known as Marionation Gear, or "Puppets", are artisanally handcrafted in workshops, a certain boy serves as an apprentice at the Galouye Workshop, dreaming of becoming a "Puppeteer" (mecha pilot) and opening his own workshop with fellow apprentice Kay. But their peaceful daily life is shattered when the autonomous Puppets known as the Automen begin going on berserk rampages around the world. Together with new apprentice Anne-Marie, the hero and Kay are pulled into a conflict that could change the course of Puppet history...

Chou Soujuu Mecha MG is a 2006 mecha action game developed by Sandlot, the studio behind the Earth Defense Force series, and published by Nintendo. It combines the developer's aptitude for larger-than-life spectacle with one of the most innovative and fun uses of the touch screen in the DS library: in addition to standard movement with the D-Pad, each of the game's 100+ playable mecha has its own unique "cockpit" controlled with the touch screen. Players can pull levers to swing their robot's arms and hurl buildings at the enemy, flip a switch to transform into a car, punch in launch codes to fire missiles, and countless other imaginative setups. With well over 100 missions, ranging from battle to racing to destroying burger joints, every mecha has a use.

Footage of the translation in action can be viewed here.

In addition to the patch, the game's translator has scanslated several chapters of its tie-in manga adaptation, which can be viewed on the patch's release website here.

This patch was the work of Supper (hacking), Phantom (translation and additional art), and cccmar (testing and editing). The authors hope you'll enjoy this revival of one of the DS's best-kept secrets.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

kaiisen

• View Profile
OMG *-* one of the best games translated for DS, in my opinion. I'm addicted. I love how each puppet has it's own way to play in battle. I wish there were more games like this. A gem. Thank you so much for translating it.

PS: Super Hard can be... super hard!

getter77

• View Profile
Stellar effort.   :beer:

VladimIr V Y

• View Profile
Wow. I'm actually never heard of that one. Thank you for the translation, and for bringing that game to my attention as well.

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
Dang, I want to try this out now... the individual cockpits sound really cool to me.  Just by description it reminds me of Combat Flight Simulator, where you could poke around each plane's cockpit with the mouse and work the controls.  But with mechs!  And on a DS!  So yeah, looks cool.

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
Thanks, everyone!

I've just been informed of a bug that can occasionally cause the game to crash after visiting a shop that's completely sold out. I believe I've fixed the problem, so once I've tested more to make sure the fix doesn't break something else, I'll put out an updated patch. In the meantime, be sure to save before you visit a Puppet shop. Sorry for the inconvenience.

OMG *-* one of the best games translated for DS, in my opinion. I'm addicted. I love how each puppet has it's own way to play in battle. I wish there were more games like this. A gem. Thank you so much for translating it.

PS: Super Hard can be... super hard!

Oh, you bet it's super hard... unless you know the secrets ;)

Dang, I want to try this out now... the individual cockpits sound really cool to me.  Just by description it reminds me of Combat Flight Simulator, where you could poke around each plane's cockpit with the mouse and work the controls.  But with mechs!  And on a DS!  So yeah, looks cool.

It's as gimmicky as they come, but it's gimmicky done right. This is one of the few DS games I've played where the touch controls really, really work. It's a shining example of something that could only be done on the DS, which is probably why Nintendo published it personally.

kaiisen

• View Profile
Oh, you bet it's super hard... unless you know the secrets ;)

Unfortunately, I see no easier way to do Totem challenge missions on Super Hard :( Those missions are the only ones that kinda put me down in this game. Because you NEED to be lucky for your rival to destroy a certain amount of totems so all of them can be destroyed before the time runs out, but the AI is broken in that game mode. Like, 7 out 10 times I play, the rival get stuck somewhere in the map and then I have to destroy all the totems by myself which seems to be impossible.

The broken AI must be a bug from the game itself and has nothing to do with the translation, but I can only hope that someone, someday, will take a look on it and try on a tweak to fix that.

I'm completely stuck at Totem challenge in Shinobi Village(Grand Prix Race #4) on Super Hard because the stupid rival only destroys 2 or 3 Totems and then get stuck at most of times.

EDIT: I forgot to mention. In case you have a weak computer like me, and is running this on No$GBA 2.6a with NO$Zoomer, you can fix the timer issue(which leads to instant lose) by activating Other > EXTRA > EX 0 and you can also fix the issue posted by Supper that leads the game to crash after visiting a shop that is all sold out by activating Other > EXTRA > EX 2.

EDIT #2: Today I had about 4 bugs from the shops even having Other > EXTRA > EX 2 enabled, so I don't know. Also, I began having some weird "The ROM Crashed" errors right after doing a purchase from any shop. It's really weird that this all began to happen to me all of the sudden. I've had been playing this game for 2 days without any problems before that with EX 2 enabled. I'm at mission #73, if that has anything to do with it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 01:56:53 pm by kaiisen »

delta7890

• View Profile
I'm completely stuck at Totem challenge in Shinobi Village(Grand Prix Race #4) on Super Hard because the stupid rival only destroys 2 or 3 Totems and then get stuck at most of times.

This is the only Super Hard that I've been unable to clear myself.  I'll have to experiment with some other kinds of Puppets to see if there's a better way of clearing the totems than simply driving through them.  Driving wouldn't be so bad if the fastest of the puppets didn't rely on touch controls for steering.  >_>

Supper

• View Profile
    • stargood
I've submitted an update to the patch that fixes the shop freezing issue. It's not on RHDN yet, but you can download it from my website. Thanks to Delta for reporting the problem and helping test the fixed version. Sorry for any trouble it caused.

I also took the opportunity to tweak a few lines of dialogue, and fixed a formatting error where Kay's message about needing maintenance soon could nearly overflow the text box if it contained a long enough Puppet name.

Unfortunately, I see no easier way to do Totem challenge missions on Super Hard :( Those missions are the only ones that kinda put me down in this game. Because you NEED to be lucky for your rival to destroy a certain amount of totems so all of them can be destroyed before the time runs out, but the AI is broken in that game mode. Like, 7 out 10 times I play, the rival get stuck somewhere in the map and then I have to destroy all the totems by myself which seems to be impossible.

This is the only Super Hard that I've been unable to clear myself.  I'll have to experiment with some other kinds of Puppets to see if there's a better way of clearing the totems than simply driving through them.  Driving wouldn't be so bad if the fastest of the puppets didn't rely on touch controls for steering.  >_>

Yeah, the Shinobi Village mission with Ellie is definitely one of the hardest to clear on Super Hard simply because of the AI randomness. My advice is to use Belmerang or one of its upgraded versions and equip it with two Black Wheels, and try to form a route that you can follow regardless of the AI's performance. Ellie seems to do the best with the totems in the elevated area, so try to find a way to hit the ones around the edge of the map. I remember having to come up with some convoluted thing that involved pulling a hard left right at the start and making a loop around the block so I could hit a couple of awkwardly-placed totems while lining myself up to hit the rest of the ones on the outside of the map.

Or or you can do it the cheap way...
Spoiler:
Equip Snail Puppet Manon with four Silver Wheels (they can drop from Super Hard clears of missions 61, 63, and 78) and rub like mad. This turns it into the fastest thing in the game. You can destroy all the totems even if Ellie does nothing. See, it's all about knowing the tricks ;)

kaiisen

• View Profile
Wow, I have never dropped a single one of that item before. I'll try it, thank you very much.

Thank you very much for this quality translation, and for updating it too.

I love this game.  :-*  :-*  :-*