News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger hack recommandation  (Read 1969 times)

megapopito

• View Profile
Chrono Trigger hack recommandation
« on: September 20, 2019, 04:38:07 am »
Hi,

I wanted to play this game soon for the first time and I was wondering if you could recommand me an hack that improve (add logical features, correct bugs, correct badly written script) the original game without "denaturing" the game (not a complete transformation/overhaul).

There are tons of hack and i'm a bit lost.

Thx

SCD

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • SPOOOOON!
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger hack recommandation
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 08:45:54 am »
Try this hack, not only it fixes bugs, but it also decensors it as well: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3147/

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2019, 09:37:57 am »
Just play the original for your first time, CT is not some buggy, engrish mess that requires a "hack" to make it acceptable.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 09:53:33 am by Special »

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2019, 02:12:26 pm »
Just play the original for your first time, CT is not some buggy, engrish mess that requires a "hack" to make it acceptable.
As the person behind the above link (and who's even made it able to be used by first-timers), I agree completely.  You really ought to only play a hack for your first playthrough only if it's an unplayable garbage dump without it.  The drinks may sound a bit silly when you get to it but it isn't completely out of place all the time, unlike something like FFVI.  The gameplay bugs I've fixed are honestly few.  For what it's worth CT is a very polished product.

My recommendation is to play the original first, then come back to mine for later playthroughs.  And you will be playing it more than once, if only for the endings.  Chrono Trigger is one of those games that holds up when unmodified, even though there are modifications around.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 02:25:25 pm by Chronosplit »

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 05:49:06 pm »
If you have any opportunity to play the DS version (which I believe was used to create the Steam version?), that is a better experience than the SNES version. The text is cleaned up, menus are prettier, etc.

megapopito

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 03:03:47 am »
hi, thx for the tips. Unfortunately I won't have time to play more than once :( I just finished super metroid, now i wanted to play an rpg that i've never done before which i heard was great.

Wondering if playing it on steam is better than on snes, i've read that are more dungeons/quests.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 08:40:04 am »
The DS version has two new areas, but they're really amateur-level stuff that's not at all up to the level of quality of the rest of the game.  You can easily skip those.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 10:25:05 am »
I have not played the Steam version, but the DS version contains a cleaned-up translation (particularly in the tech names), better menus, and beautiful, detailed minimaps. The extra dungeons are nothing to write home about. Personally, the thing I like most about the DS version is that my battle commands are on the bottom screen, allowing the top screen to just be devoted to the graphics and animations. The DS version is unfortunately harder to hack, but I consider it the definitive version.

I've heard good things about the Steam version post-update. The launch was a catastrophic failure, but it sounds like the team actually fixed it up.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 03:26:16 am »
If you have any opportunity to play the DS version (which I believe was used to create the Steam version?), that is a better experience than the SNES version. The text is cleaned up, menus are prettier, etc.
Nope, the SNES version is superior, and you also play the authentic, original game as it was indtended to be played by its creator - not some TOSE hack that allowed Square-Enix to make some quick cash.

The DS version has two new areas, but they're really amateur-level stuff that's not at all up to the level of quality of the rest of the game.  You can easily skip those.
Exactly my thoughts as I played through these. At least they use some music left unused in the original (but still present in the soundtrack), but other than that it's completely useless.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 10:02:34 am »
How people can ever recommend the portable version (and this goes for anything of the like not just CT) is beyond me, tiny ass screen, tiny speakers, neck cramps, hands cramps, screen glare, yuck.

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 10:51:32 am »
I agree entirely, I can't stand the small split screen on the DS. The console version of games will always be superior to the portable ones even if only for having a larger screen/display. Though, to be honest, console graphics are usually better as well. This is especially true where Chrono Trigger is concerned. After having played both versions, I agree 100% that the original SNES version is the best. The PS1 version might have also been good if not for the loading times. But you're not missing out on much. It's basically the same as the SNES version with some added animated cutscenes.

As for which version to play first, definitely the original SNES version for the authentic experience. After that, I would recommend that you give the Schala edition a try and the Chrono Trigger Plus hack when a definite finished version of it is released (it's still being worked on to fix the remaining bugs).

Edit: You might also enjoying trying the Chrono Trigger: Bugfix and Uncensoring Patch for a cleaner script that's also more true to the original Japanese version. There's also plenty of other romhacks for Chrono Trigger that polish the script, add a harder difficulty and even complete fan re-translations. When it comes to Chrono Trigger, you have many options available. But as it was said before, you're better off just playing the original SNES version the first time for the authentic experience. You may then try all these different patches available for a newer, fresh twist to this classic game each playthrough. There's even a six letter patch and a Frog Powerup one if you would like to play using longer names or a beefed up Frog. Heh, that sounds pretty funny! :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 11:04:57 am by Recca »
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

DarioEMeloD

• RomHacking enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2019, 11:25:57 am »
I still have my SNES cart but when I replay it I prefer the DS version, I just don't care for the extra stuff (arena, dungeons, etc) but it has quite a few QoL improvements with basically no downsides.
And what's the deal about it being portable? You don't have to play it on an actual DS.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2019, 10:16:40 pm »
hi, thx for the tips. Unfortunately I won't have time to play more than once :( I just finished super metroid, now i wanted to play an rpg that i've never done before which i heard was great.

Wondering if playing it on steam is better than on snes, i've read that are more dungeons/quests.
Aww.  One of the big things about CT is New Game+.  Perhaps you'll have the time to circle back later.

Honestly, the DS/Steam version has some pretty poor added dungeons.  I mean it's there and they're optional, but it is most certainly not why people play that version.  I know that some play SNES just to be rid of it (it's certainly tempting to do so), but once again they're optional.  I actually liked the monster raising/arena addon, a lot don't though.  It's DS only.  Square's mobile ports at the time had to nix stuff for space issues (it's a very old port) and Steam was originally based on mobile.  So yeah.

As for the screen size, I know that and relate to it.  I keep a 9.7 inch tablet around for this purpose, honestly. Well, not the most important reason but it's one of them.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 01:49:52 am by Chronosplit »

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2019, 10:25:32 pm »
While we're on the subject, have there been any new developments on Crimson Echoes or Flames of Eternity?  (Is Flames of Eternity worth bothering with at all?)
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2019, 10:37:34 pm »
While we're on the subject, have there been any new developments on Crimson Echoes or Flames of Eternity?  (Is Flames of Eternity worth bothering with at all?)
On top of all the other drama, the FoE team's penchant later on to use FoE to sell Pi machines soured me on it in a big way.  Either way, last I checked it was in that stage of "we're still working on it" with that post being in 2017.  Might be dead, but according to compatibility lists you won't be stuck with ZSNES at least.  There appears to be a patch that fixes this like some SMW hacks did later, according to a post in the latest post on the blog?

Honestly, I've been meaning to check out Crimson Echoes itself for a long while, but it looks like ZSNES is required.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 12:50:20 pm by Chronosplit »

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2019, 09:51:12 am »
Nope, the SNES version is superior, and you also play the authentic, original game as it was indtended to be played by its creator - not some TOSE hack that allowed Square-Enix to make some quick cash.

How people can ever recommend the portable version (and this goes for anything of the like not just CT) is beyond me, tiny ass screen, tiny speakers, neck cramps, hands cramps, screen glare, yuck.

Oh, and Megapopito, I should also probably warn you that Chrono Trigger Purism is practically a religion.  ::)

DarioEMeloD

• RomHacking enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • GitHub
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2019, 01:06:47 pm »
They're both practically the same, the only noticeable difference is the translation, while the SNES is more localized, the DS is more faithful to the original japanese. In the end it's just a matter of preference and familiarity.

Personally I don't care either way tbh. Tho I still prefer Woolsey's Frog  ;D

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2019, 02:27:10 am »
Oh, and Megapopito, I should also probably warn you that Chrono Trigger Purism is practically a religion.  ::)
The dynamic is kinda similar to FF games (though in that case the ports are usually worse than what CT got).  A couple of times I have had to toe the line so to speak while working, though not nearly as much as projects like TWUE needed to.  I am somewhat surprised that I didn't get any anger over Fiendlord, however.

In all honesty I don't go full bore on the purist train, I'm just not into a lot of most of the stuff the DS version brought to the table.  I can't call it nostalgia because my first ever playthrough of it was funnily enough on the DS.  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 02:38:27 am by Chronosplit »

megapopito

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2019, 02:55:09 am »
thx for the tips.

I ended up playing the game with that:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3147/

Just got the ability to use magic :)

Has anyone got a link to a complete walkthrough ?

thx

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2019, 11:57:52 am »