News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Celebrate 35 Years of Ninja Turtles… with Rage!!!  (Read 1442 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Celebrate 35 Years of Ninja Turtles… with Rage!!!
« on: September 07, 2019, 12:27:23 pm »

Update By: eskayelle

Is it a Ninja Turtles game?  Is it a Streets of Rage game?  Is it a Ninja Turtles game sitting on a Streets of Rage engine?  You decide!

A year after the first rage, Mr. X has kidnapped Adam in the hopes of trapping and ruthlessly murdering Blaze and Axel.  Along with Adam’s brother Skate and fellow Rager Max, the SoR team follows four radical reptiles on their quest to save April… er… Adam.  Will the Heroes in a Halfshell fly off toward the sun victorious? Or will the Syndicate prove more capable and deadly than the Foot Clan…?

This romhack starts off by building on Carzj’s original and phenomenal TMNT Edition hack and applies certain censorship and translation fixes brought to light via SCD’s Restoration hack.  Those restorations include:
  • Garcia, Garuda, and Mosquito names
  • Enemy knockouts counter
  • Mr. X's cigar and cigar animation
  • Unused track "Little Money Avenue" (placed on Stage 3)

Taking things a step further, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles… of Rage adds the following to that compilation:
  • Completely swaps out the SoR2 title screen in favor of a new TMNT one!
  • Provides portraits of the TMNT within the player select screen, those portraits being based on the SNES Turtles in Time game.
  • Revises the name sprite tiles on the player select screen to display “MIKE”, “LEO”, “DON”, and “RAPH”.
  • Adds oodles of lives to the options menu!
  • Applies shadows to a selection of more commonly used player sprites, to reduce that “floating” feel in game.
  • Sets up limited air/juggle combo possibilities, thanks to character physics hex editing tutorials written by Dha Lau Hoo and Metal64.

Special “Booyakasha!” thanks to Carzj and SCD for their great hacks, as well as Dha Lau Hoo for portraits, air/juggle combos, and player select screen tutorials/guidance, plus Wake for the assist formatting the portrait palette.

And… a big “Cowabunga!” to MarkeyJester, RadioShadow, and Reaper Man as well for all their guidance on inserting the new title screen!

Go Green Machine!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Candra Software

• I'm a thing of the past now
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Celebrate 35 Years of Ninja Turtles… with Rage!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 02:38:04 pm »
I wish there were more SOR2 hacks that actually change the enemies, like maybe change Mr. X or Shiva into Shredder.

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 02:52:09 pm »
Totally agree.  I'd love to learn how to decompress enemy sprites and reinsert some new ones through Pancake 2.  My understanding is Pancake 2 may be more advantageous in this regard if you're working with the Syndicate Wars hack.  But my preference would be to do it within SoR2 itself.

To your point, Shredder would likely fit well as a Shiva replacement.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 06:33:32 pm »
Wow this looks great!  :thumbsup:
free sluffy

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 08:22:28 pm »
Glad to see someone added the character select pic. Lots of these character hacks for SOR2 miss that part.

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 09:16:13 pm »
Thanks for the nods!  Feel free to drop in a positive review if you get a chance.

Messing with SonMapEd wasn't the easiest, but D.L.H.'s tutorial on the rest of the process was really helpful.  I do still have the mapping of the SoR2 player select portrait, if anyone wanted to fast forward past that bit.

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 03:57:15 pm »
Excellent work, I loved the first version of this hack and this one completes it!

One thing that always bugged me though, shouldnt Raph and Mike be switched?  Seems odd that mike is the power character and raph the speedy one. 

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 04:35:49 pm »
Ya know, I thought about it too, but if you made Raph slow and had his sai be so short-range, would you be as inclined to play him?  I felt like this balanced him a bit more, so I stayed with it.  Plus, angry guy can be impulsive guy, so Raph with speed rushing into things made sense.  And... Mikey in the original arcade game was the least athletic... he's the one that falls on his ass jumping onto April's roof.  So it does make some sense to make him the slower one with less acrobatics.  And in doing that, he needs some other skillset to balance him.

NeoGeoThai

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 09:23:56 pm »
Excellent!
But when playing on japanese console , the title screen still says Bare Knuckle II !!
Only playing on US console the title screen is TMNT of rage !!

Possible to modify so in both region it will have the correct title ?

megavolt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 10:59:27 pm »
There is actually some precedent for Mikey being the strong one and Raph being the fast one with Turtles in Time on the SNES (I don't know if these differences were unique to the SNES version or if they were present in the arcade original as well): https://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYSTEM/Nintendo_SNES/Manual/formated/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_IV-_Turtles_in_Time_-_1992_-_Konami.pdf

Also, Sais are more of a defensive weapon whereas Nunchakus are blunt force.

eskayelle

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 02:24:25 pm »
Excellent!
But when playing on japanese console , the title screen still says Bare Knuckle II !!
Only playing on US console the title screen is TMNT of rage !!

Possible to modify so in both region it will have the correct title ?

EDIT: So I messed around with a debugger, trace logs, and some Game Genie codes to unlock regions and test.  Try this.  Let me know if it works well: https://files.catbox.moe/3fuhau.ips

(First, apply the TMNT of Rage patch, then apply this patch.  You'll need both.)

September 11, 2019, 02:26:03 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
There is actually some precedent for Mikey being the strong one and Raph being the fast one with Turtles in Time on the SNES (I don't know if these differences were unique to the SNES version or if they were present in the arcade original as well): https://www.gamesdatabase.org/Media/SYSTEM/Nintendo_SNES/Manual/formated/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_IV-_Turtles_in_Time_-_1992_-_Konami.pdf

That's pretty awesome!  I completely forgot about that instruction manual!  Thanks for the post!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 06:22:16 am by eskayelle »

guitarpalooz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2019, 10:04:14 am »

Well I certainly learned something today...i never even knew there were stat differences in turtles in time!