News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: American English Translation Patch - The Constellation Nerdulus  (Read 3183 times)

aqualung

• View Profile
Re: Translations: American English Translation Patch - The Constellation Nerdulus
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2019, 12:31:34 pm »
To the people offended by the "sexist" plot of this game: perhaps you should look in the dictionary for the meaning of the word "parody". You're welcome  ;)

I'd like to add that, to me (and I stress it's only my personal opinion), the plot isn't much more sexist than the plot of the "revenge of the nerds" movie series.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 12:54:42 pm by aqualung »

VicVergil

• View Profile
Re: Translations: American English Translation Patch - The Constellation Nerdulus
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2019, 03:14:21 pm »
Thank you for the new translation, as always.

Also thank you for the opportunity to experience this game the way it was conceived, no matter how tempting it might have been to change it for moral reasons. I lament some games might never get an actual translation because of this, like the first game in the Exile series - a surreal take on modern day religions and politics, but with an unintentional irreverence that make it too off-color for most to handle.

You seemed to have mentioned a PC Engine version of Otaku no Seiza a while ago on twitter. What differences in particular make it the inferior version compared to this one?

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2019, 08:59:34 pm »
The PC Engine reboot has major pacing issues, telling you pretty much EVERYTHING at the start of the game in no unspecific terms. Even the parts that it has changed, it spoils. Instead of having any build-up, the two other characters (Nekketsu and Jon Jon) join you within the first five minutes of the game, with dialogue so rushed that it's hard to believe.

"Hi, I'm Jon Jon. I'll go with you now." (Jon Jon joined the party.)

That's pretty much what it's like.

aqualung

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2019, 07:34:34 pm »
I think if I've found something during a dialog with an npc (a text that prints itself over a previous one, doing a rather strange effect). I've made a video of it, although don't know if it's intentional or if it also happens in the Japanese version:

https://youtu.be/HbOkWDiL2Nw

If it's not an error, just ignore this message.

By the way, yes, I've named the hero "Macho". And that's only because "Macho-man" didn't fit :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:21:25 pm by aqualung »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2019, 08:04:49 pm »
That's present in the original game. The game clears text, pauses before closing the text box etc in the scripting code. The devs forgot to include those commands in a handful of text throughout the game. So you might run into times where the text isn't cleared or the text box immediately closes after a text string.

I could totally fix these issues and it would be easier than the one issue I already fixed, but I don't feel like putting in the effort. I'd have to extract all the scripting code for the main text, relocate at least part of the data to another bank and then make my additions to the scripting code.

Definitely doable, but not something that affects gameplay. So not a priority.

Hemlock

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2019, 09:20:04 am »
I can also attest that hard saves are janked up. Saved after a bit of grinding in the early areas and I came back later to resume, only to find out that my save was gone. While it really sucks that my save is gone, I could probably get back to where I was after a bit of grinding. Man, I really have to feel bad for people who are playing this on actual hardware and then found out that their saves were lost.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2019, 12:14:38 pm »
It's not a ROM issue, it's a header issue. The NES doesn't care about headers, so it only affects those playing on emulators.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2019, 10:17:02 am »
Fortunately, it seems the updated patch is available now, so hard saves should work on emulators. Just re-download the patch.