News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: It's Resident Evil on PC, but it works!  (Read 1233 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: It's Resident Evil on PC, but it works!
« on: September 03, 2019, 08:39:09 am »

Update By: Gemini

For years Resident Evil on PC has been a decent port plagued by outragingly bad code that prevented it from even getting outside of the Windows 95/98 compatibility mode as a requirement to simply boot. Last year Gemini got interested in DLL code injection, he tried to figure out why the game would run so badly and how code injection via DLL could help with these issues; this is how Classic REbirth was born.

Classic REbirth is a drag&drop patch in the form of a DLL that does all the hard fixing for the user. No need to use complex wrappers, to hard-patch executables, or to replace specific files. The usage is very simple: add the DLL where the executable is and it hooks onto the game as soon as it boots, just like that.

The early revisions of the DLL were a bit rough, as they still relied entirely on the game's software renderer. This new revision, however, rewrites a large part of the code to bring a renewed experience that improves many aspects of the game, making it run in hardware mode in the way the game was designed, on recent Windows versions and newer hardware.

Resident Evil currently runs at a stable 30/60 fps, with support for higher resolutions, new controller libraries, and FFMPEG to do the grunt work with video and audio decompression. The result is a beautifully rendered game, just like the original on PlayStation, but with crisper visuals and virtually unlimited moddable features.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

icemann

• Two stones, two crosses. The rest is just icing.
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: It's Resident Evil on PC, but it works!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 08:49:12 pm »
Keep up the good work Gemini. Eagerly awaiting Resident Evil 1.5 :).

#

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 12:44:09 pm »
It would be nice if there was a Resident Evil version, and not just one for the Japanese Biohazard.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 07:01:43 am »
It would be nice if there was a Resident Evil version, and not just one for the Japanese Biohazard.
I used the latest Japanese version because it's the most stable and has generally better code. The DLL can change the game to English anyway and both versions are pretty much identical, so not a big deal. The original patch used to support both games, but it's a mess to maintain.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 07:12:08 am by Gemini »
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

ShadowOne333

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 11:19:56 am »
I used the latest Japanese version because it's the most stable and has generally better code. The DLL can change the game to English anyway and both versions are pretty much identical, so not a big deal. The original patch used to support both games, but it's a mess to maintain.
Hey Gemini!
I've been following your streams for Rebirth 1 and 2.
I absolutely love the work you've put into them and everything that you have added to both of them!

For the FMVs, there are a lot of AI Machine Learning remastered videos floating around in the web for both RE1 and RE2. Given how you implemented ffmpeg into the Rebirths, I was wondering if you have any plans on maybe implementing the remastered AI version of the FMVs for both games.

Here are two examples:
Resident Evil 2 - Claire Intro FMV (4k/60fps):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP4aYnr6yMI

Resident Evil - Uncensored Opening FMV (4k/60fps):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwv9cqd-pbU

I think the current ones you are using the are the FMVs from the PC release.
I would suggest perhaps using the ones from the Gamecube release for RE2, since those seem to be the best available quality ones, and also to avoid the Japanese subtitles in them as well.
Using the GC FMVs for the AI Remastering could help to up the res on those and have the best possible quality for the FMVs for current gens.

#

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 01:28:07 pm »
Going for the best version makes total sense and I understand support for the western version(s) really isn't necessary. It's just a little disappointing if you have the western release and then read it isn't supported. ;)

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 09:10:06 pm »
I think the current ones you are using the are the FMVs from the PC release.
I would suggest perhaps using the ones from the Gamecube release for RE2, since those seem to be the best available quality ones, and also to avoid the Japanese subtitles in them as well.
The SourceNext version has the best movies, albeit with hard subtitles, but that's hardly a problem really. As for the AI upscales, as long as those are converted to mp4 with aac audio and x264 video, they can be used and anybody can make a pack with them. I have my own 480p upscales for RE1 linked in the patch official page, they were recreated using different sources of the PlayStation Director's cut version. In most cases tho it is probably for the best to keep the movies at a base 480p resolution, otherwise they end up looking too much like oil paintings. I already have some very good upscales ready for Resident Evil 3, Dino Crisis, and Dino Crisis 2.

Going for the best version makes total sense and I understand support for the western version(s) really isn't necessary. It's just a little disappointing if you have the western release and then read it isn't supported. ;)
IIRC most of the US files are compatible with the Japanese executable as long as the DLL is booted in English mode, they are just located in a different folder that can be used via one renaming.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.