News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: SMB2 Lost Levels Hacking  (Read 889 times)

Kazufox

• View Profile
SMB2 Lost Levels Hacking
« on: September 01, 2019, 12:58:36 am »
Okay so I've been trying to work on a ROM Hack of SMB2: Lost Levels for NES and need a little bit of help on some stuff.

I'm using Tile Editors but can't seem to really change as much as I'd like to. For instance the title screen is more of a pain to work on than the original SMB screen.

But the main issue I'm having is while working on the tile editors is that the Princess sprites have been replaced by a door and blowing leaves. The same door used before the ending screen. Or does this mean I have to play the game only to have access to the Princess sprite only AFTER beating the game in the emulator's tile viewer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hM9W1srGhs

I can at least see the in-game text files to work on like the "Sorry Mario, but our Princess is in another castle." etc.

I'm at least able to find both and .NES and .FDS playable files for NES emulators. I'd like to see if it's possible in getting an .NES converted file that has the title screen still.

If anyone can provide assistance, that would be very much appreciated.

Cyneprepou4uk

• Самый лысый ромхакер
    • View Profile
Re: SMB2 Lost Levels Hacking
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 06:58:07 am »
What is your question again?
I am the baldest romhacker
NES Romhacking Guide

Kazufox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 03:36:37 pm »
What is your question again?

Is there a way to work on a .NES converted SMB2 ROM file with title screen? And how would I be able to access working on the Princess sprite?

Or if I can't, then is there a way to work on an .FDS file to change things like text in the PRG ROM?

Cyneprepou4uk

• Самый лысый ромхакер
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 05:20:13 pm »
You can find tiles in YY-CHR program. Any changes in the game (including editing title screen) can be made via FCEUX emulator (for nes and fds games) if you are willing to get your hands dirty with romhacking.

Maybe there are specific smb2 editors, search in utilities section or google it.
NES Romhacking Guide

Kazufox

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 12:06:41 am »
No dice...still have the same missing sprite issue. The tiles for the title screen is still there, but again it's not appearing in the NES converted file.

SMB1 tiles

The princess sprite can be found in the rows of the blue arrow

SMB2 tiles (.NES)

It's replaced here with the door and mushroom sprites

If I attempt tile editors for FDS outside of the working emulator (Mesen or FCEUltra) it gets messy.

Cyneprepou4uk

• Самый лысый ромхакер
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 12:49:48 am »
That princess is not coming from a vacuum. If you can't find her here, then complete this level, open ppu viewer combined with code/data logger to see her location
NES Romhacking Guide

Kazufox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 06:22:32 pm »
Fair enough, was hoping for a simpler way around editing that...

So anything about the issue on the missing title screen on the NES converted version?

Also, after beating the NES version, the game just crashes since it can't go beyond the door at the ending.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 06:34:10 pm by Kazufox »

Metalwario64

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 12:22:31 am »
Fair enough, was hoping for a simpler way around editing that...

So anything about the issue on the missing title screen on the NES converted version?

Also, after beating the NES version, the game just crashes since it can't go beyond the door at the ending.
You should use Loopy's SMB2j MMC3 NES conversion instead of whatever, possibly bootleg hacked version you seem to be using. I won't give a link, but it's very easy to find via searching.

Kazufox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 12:17:28 am »
You should use Loopy's SMB2j MMC3 NES conversion instead of whatever, possibly bootleg hacked version you seem to be using. I won't give a link, but it's very easy to find via searching.
Thanks, I'll take a look around.

So, as it turns out, while watching the PPU viewer at the ending, the door tiles just changes to the princess sprite. I can always just make changes on the editor at that moment...but still would need to find a way to edit the PRG ROM, but because of the disk format I'm limited to mainly the text on the Famicom load screen.

I used an FDS Explorer to open the file but it doesn't show anything in CHR viewer for the SM2CHAR2 and SM2SAVE sheets to download/save as PNG.