News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: N64 SM64 romhack troubles  (Read 1162 times)

LDAsh

• View Profile
N64 SM64 romhack troubles
« on: January 16, 2021, 04:13:41 pm »
So, every romhack for N64 SM64 describes the same CRC/MD5, so I have this correct.  Even obtained from several different sources, but with the same CRC/MD5.

I've successfully patched hacks to other titles like Goldeneye64 and those worked fine.

Super Mario, however, gives me a white screen after pressing start from the title screen.  It seems this is at the step of "extending" the rom, using "M64ROMExtender1.3b".  Many hacks have these tools included.  The game exhibits this at this first step, even before the patch is applied.

Many hacks seem to apply fine, I can see custom title screens, but always give a white screen at the game select screen.  I've tried both Project64 and Mupen, tried toying with many settings like video plugin and memory expansion (to 8MB), but can't progress further to get these hacks to fully function.

I've followed each step, using the files and tools included in the download.  Is there something obvious I'm missing?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

January 17, 2021, 05:19:12 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Turns out, I had to fall back to using Project64 2.3 with Jabo's DX8 graphics plugin...
None of these hacks function well or at all if using Glide.
Not a deal-breaker since SM64 always worked fairly well since the beginning, so hopefully this info might help others.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 05:19:12 am by LDAsh »