News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Your top 5 least favorite games of all time  (Read 1338 times)

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Your top 5 least favorite games of all time
« on: August 25, 2019, 09:42:34 pm »
I don't mean to grasp the mop bucket and broom too eagerly here but I was thinking about what games I think are just terrible. They aren't moderately crappy or insanely madcap hodgepodge weirdness that is funny in its ridiculous attempt at being entertainment (Sesame Street games come to mind), but just games that are forgotten, lackluster, unplayably obtuse or unfair to the point none of the other factors (graphics, gameplay, sound, etc) can save it. Just games that have nothing interesting at all to grab a player's attention.

If I were to think for a moment, the first one I can think of is probably going to be Trojan for the NES. It is an extremely pedestrian port with sloppy controls that are unhelpful in playing it, and the music is kind of grating and minimal, but also very loud and garish, which is not a good combination of things.

The enemy designs are pretty good, but a general crappy feel to the way things control and animate just suck all the fun out of it. The aesthetics and world building are also uninteresting to me, kind of a bland early 80s He Man retread. Rygar did it better, and isn't the best game ever either. It just has something that Trojan doesn't.

Another which some may not agree with as much as the last one is Jackal. Games where you are a car generally don't do it for me... I don't like driving and I don't think I have ever been concerned about cars, they were more my brother's thing.

Castelian for the NES is one that occurs to me, but in a way it's just about at the #IQuitThisLousyGameDevelopmentJob level of crapness, so ... I dunno it doesn't seem like it got far enough along in its development where the placeholder character was replaced with something better drawn. What the heck is that thing? It doesn't help its lazy design choices with tight or intense gameplay either, because it controls like a school bus without proper brakes on a frozen lake.

Time Lord for the NES (you notice how much of these were NES games? I never had a Game Boy ;D ). I don't know why this one boss in the Western level takes about 50,000 shots to kill but there isn't an excuse for that. The game is sort of 'almost there' in terms of design, but it doesn't save it by being clunky, again. Characters with that level of artwork don't belong on any game cartridge.

X-Men for the NES was one we rented because Dad had a bunch of X-Men comics, and I'd read a lot of them. We had a black and white TV, and it basically made the game unplayable in absolute. I've revisited it over the years to realize this is the least of its worries.

I never had Silver Surfer and I never had Jekyl and Hyde, and there were a lot of games which I never had or played when they were out. What are some of your choices?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 12:52:05 am by Spooniest »
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

FAST6191

• View Profile
Re: Your top 5 least favorite games of all time
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 08:10:01 am »
Vampire Rain on the 360. Very few things offend my sensibilities as far as being an out and out bad game. This was one of them.

Conflict Denied Ops on the 360. While local co-op gameplay was kind of still a thing on the 360 and not the unheard of concept it is today it was still rare enough that I/we gave everything we could a chance. We did not finish this. We did finish both Army of Two titles, both Kane & Lynch titles, Lost Planet 2 and 3, the run of bad dungeon crawler esque titles and more besides despite most of those not being anything I felt remotely compelled to pick up as single player efforts.

Carmageddon 64.
Carmageddon, splat pack and 2 were immensely fun games, and I will even cop to occasionally enjoying a bit of TDR 2000. Did also enjoy the recent effort to bring it back. 64 (a loose remake/"port" of 2) was just plain bad, even by N64 standards. Slowness, murky graphics and more I can possibly deal with but this broke the gameplay in just about every way that mattered.

Actually not sure what I would put after this. Unreal II: The Awakening for the original xbox was terrible but I only got it as part of a bundle of games with my original xbox so not overly bothered there. Perfect Dark Zero pretty much set the tone for Rare's future but I also had the XBLA remake of the N64 game so I was not so bothered there. Neither particularly reach the levels of meh that would warrant being on a most despised list.
I had a few GB/GBC and early GBA remakes of either popular console or PC games of the day that did not do so well but was not especially bothered by any. Similarly I had plenty of bad games going all the way back to the C64 but for the most part I was never stuck with them long enough (or even managed to rent them) to cause them to bother me (my C64 memories were mostly getting gym bags full of tapes for next to nothing so it was nothing other than wasted time waiting for them to load before never being played again).

Had plenty of games that failed to live up to the hype (monster hunter, hogs of war, everything Peter Molyneux touched post dungeon keeper, most PS3 exclusives) and plenty of failed sequels but again nothing that rises to the level of warranting a place here*. I might say Dino Crisis 3 (first two were slightly more actiony resident evil clones but with dinosaurs, did well on both counts, this decided to lose that and go instead to set it in the future in space and be bad) but most of my memories of this are suppressed and probably only influence my lack of desire to play Dead Space.

*for the sake of having lists not solely populated by them I am assuming we are not counting tablet/phone exclusive "sequels" and other "we somehow cheesed a license" a la cannon fodder 3, dungeon keeper mobile, whatever became of theme park and the like.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 01:39:00 pm »
Since you did NES only, I'll focus on shitty MD/GEN games and raise you five:
Dark Castle
Sword of Sodan
Back to the Future Part III
X-Perts
Batman Forever
Fantasia
Pagemaster
Double Dragon 3: The Arcade Game
Super Hydlide
Strider Returns

It's mainly about bad controls, hit detection, cheap hits and memorization heavy level design.

Speaking of music I have an extensive playlist focusing on the bad (and funnybad) stuff in particular:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoMug7wLu_M&list=PLznWdSFQxsPuG0nnE-zYmtqnaIaaeZCjy
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 04:20:46 pm »
Speaking of music I have an extensive playlist focusing on the bad (and funnybad) stuff in particular:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoMug7wLu_M&list=PLznWdSFQxsPuG0nnE-zYmtqnaIaaeZCjy

I remember having Killer Instinct. Yeah...uh...they spent the money on the graphics, on that one, I think, because I also recall I somehow came into the "Soundtrack CD" Promo CD that they put out too, and I was shocked that these, once were actual songs, before, you know, the butchering the SNES version did to them.

Yeah, quite a lot of that is hilariously bad.

PresidentLeever

• View Profile
    • Mini-Revver
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 06:26:28 pm »
Don't get me wrong, there are some good tracks in KI like the main theme but also some really bad sounding and gratutiously 90s ones, heh.

Yeah those versions are at least well produced and in tune.
Mini-reviews, retro sound chip tribute, romhacks and general listage at my site: Mini-Revver.

#

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 06:31:24 pm »
All of the above games are genuine masterpieces compared to NES Home Alone.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 11:35:14 pm »
I feel like there are a couple of games into which I plowed far too much time that I have largely forgotten, for good reason.

But right now the first thing that comes to mind is old Turba.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/58400/Turba/

I think it was the first time I wound up with a game on Steam that led me to think that maybe not everything on Steam was going to be worthwhile. >:D  Like the reviews say, it's just kind of broken.

And there's Yoshi's Island DS.  It's like aliens found the original SNES game and tried to make something like it without any understanding of how the original game worked and what made it fun.  I still need to give Yoshi's New Island a fair shake, but my expectations are very low.

And Contact DS.  It had a couple of neat ideas – but not unlike the above, it's like someone desperately, desperately wanted to make something like Earthbound crossed with Diablo but just didn't know how, or completely ran out of time or motivation somewhere along the way.  Might be a good game if you're trying to while away a prison sentence.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 02:08:47 pm »
At least two of my choices are going to upset some people, but my list is not necessarily good or bad games just MY least favourite of all time.

5. Too Human Xbox
4. Orbitus Snes
3. Super Pitfall NES
2. Gears of War Xbox

And drum roll please.......

1. That over-rated piece of garbage called Resident Evil 4
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 08:20:05 pm »
At least two of my choices are going to upset some people

None of them upset me, though, and frankly I have much more important things to be upset about than people not liking a game I like these days. Choose on! Don't be shy, folks.

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 12:29:13 am »
The Back to the Future Game for NES (was it, like, "BttF I and II" or something?). I gave that damn game so many chances because the movies were and still are my all-time faves, but the game was a complete piece of crap. All I can really remember is a repetetive and seemingly pointless side scroller with occasional interludes where you had to catch flying musical notes by turning left and right, which shouldn't have been very difficult but was way more so than could ever be anticipated.

Night Trap for Sega CD, in a tie with the only other Sega CD game I ever played (the only other one that existed?) Which involved traveling through sewers at high speeds and having a navigator tell you you had to go "six, three, niner" so you had to go down, right, left (I have no idea what this game was called). Sega CD was such crap.

The robot fighting game for the SNES SuperScope. Shoulda been awesome. Too hard.

The follow-up to GoldenEye. Was it "The World Is Not Enough?" I don't know. I've never even seen a Bond movie. But GoldenEye was the gold standard of Multiplayers at the turn of the millennium. All they had to do was make the same game with new maps, and maybe a few new weapons. Instead they had to screw with every bit of game mechanics. I assume they were trying to improve? If it ain't broke...

These games are so bad that I forgot most of the titles.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 01:28:42 am »
(I have no idea what this game was called). Sega CD was such crap.

The robot fighting game for the SNES SuperScope. Shoulda been awesome. Too hard.

The follow-up to GoldenEye. Was it "The World Is Not Enough?" I don't know.

Sewer Shark, and Battle Clash / Metal Combat.  TWINE was indeed a Bond game on the N64, though you might also be thinking of Goldeneye: Rogue Agent or Goldeneye Reloaded.

Battle Clash / Metal Combat actually sound kind of nifty.
https://hg101.kontek.net/battleclash/battleclash.htm

I've never even seen a Bond movie.
Some of them are perfectly decent.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 06:00:14 am »
The follow-up to GoldenEye. Was it "The World Is Not Enough?" I don't know. I've never even seen a Bond movie. But GoldenEye was the gold standard of Multiplayers at the turn of the millennium. All they had to do was make the same game with new maps, and maybe a few new weapons. Instead they had to screw with every bit of game mechanics. I assume they were trying to improve? If it ain't broke...

I never played the TWINE N64 version but I did do the PS1 James Bond efforts and they were usually less than stellar. Goldeneye was an N64 exclusive from a Nintendo owned dev. Rare's return to the Goldeneye engine gave us Perfect Dark and I maintain that still has lessons to teach the games of today, though if you are going to play it then do pick up the XBLA (not sure what goes for Xbone) remake instead.

That said Eurocom's James Bond game for the gamecube called Nightfire was actually quite a good game in single player (nice gadgets, multiple approaches to a mission, weapons worked well) and multiplayer, though the multiplayer will not do too much for you today I don't imagine and while enjoyable at the time it was in the absence of something better. *wanders of muttering about Oddjob's hat*

Mattiac

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 08:28:01 am »
It's very hard to choose, but here's my list anyway:

1. Super Mario World
2. Zelda - A Link to the past
3. Super Street Fighter 2
4. Mario Kart 64
5. Tomb Raider

Edit: Excuse me, I didn't read the word "least" at first. Ignore my list then!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 10:00:01 am by Mattiac »

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 10:35:18 pm »
Whacking my brain I suddenly recall the fury and rage induced by Psychonauts.  It's a great game in a lot of ways, but it gets hit hard by a couple of infuriating design decisions – namely the moronic placement of some of the collectables, and the end of that dastardly difficult final level.  I also quite despised that early on in the game you're introduced to the mechanic of hanging off a ledge and shuffling along from side to side – and you never use that again until waaaaay later towards the end of the game, where you're just supposed to recall it somehow.  Blah.

And in that same vein I can nail the ending of Full Throttle, which would also be clever if it wasn't so mindlessly stupid.

I could call out Zack & Wiki for not clearly emphasizing the hint, extra life, and treasure-hunting mechanics, or the dreadful grind at the end of M&L Bowser's Inside Story if you want to finish off the final secret boss, but those are both such excellent games otherwise that it seems unfair to lump them in with other titles that are so much worse.  I'm even willing to forgive M&L Dream Team in that regard, but only just barely.

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 10:54:28 am »

1. Bionic Granny.

I wasted 50p getting this from a bootsale thinking it would be a laugh. It's not, it's a terrible, terrible game, a bad idea, and worse execution.

2. Ikari  Warriors

At the other end this was my first regret purchase back as a kid. NES games weren't cheap here so you read every review to see if you weren't disappointed. This shares so much with the above game. Mainly being slow and bastard hard and cheap. Wasted £30 back in the day if you must know and taught me to always read the review.

3. Rainbow Islands NES (USA version)

Always wanted this on import back in the day but my dad always stopped me, then reading in Total, that Ocean were doing a port, decided to wait. Found out much later that they hated the American version and decided to do their own. And playing it can see why, its not as bad as the two above games. Its just a middling port, its just that every format has its own, much better version,than this.

4. Bubble Bobble Evolution (PSP)

Do you wish Bubble Bobble was remade as a pseudo 3d platform puzzle game where every element is ineptly done including your heroes cosplaying as the main heroes.

5. Elite (Various)

I tried to love this space trading game, and though its a technical marvel, it's just too hard and unfair. Its follow up Frontier has issues but I absolutely loved. This has never clicked on any platform I've played it on.
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

cccmar

• View Profile
    • Nebulous Translations site
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 11:22:31 am »
That's an interesting thread! I will name one game per each system I own(ed):
1. Back to the Future 2 & 3 (NES) - the most infuriating game of all by far, IMO near impossible to complete without a guide. While I don't necessarily hate most games published by LJN (I quite liked Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street), this one is easily the worst NES game I bought.
2. Daikatana (Nintendo 64) - bought it waaaay back, around the time when it was released. While I see what they were going for, the execution was really lacking. IMO it was rightfully panned by everyone back then.
3. Drake of the 99 Dragons (XBOX) - the worst XBOX game I ever bought, by a long shot. I recall playing this one during the summer of 2004. The controls and bugs annoyed me so much that I never finished it.
4. Bad Day LA (PC) - was expecting a fun romp in the style of GTA, got a glitchy, buggy mess with poor voice acting. The idea was great, but again, the execution definitely wasn't.
5. The Fifth Element (PSX) - quite liked the movie, and so one of my friends bought this game for me back in the '90s... needless to say, it wasn't the best gift ever, hahah. Bad controls, poor AI, boring level design... wouldn't recommend this one to anyone.

Jorpho

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 02:02:31 am »
3. Drake of the 99 Dragons (XBOX) - the worst XBOX game I ever bought, by a long shot. I recall playing this one during the summer of 2004. The controls and bugs annoyed me so much that I never finished it.
If you want to take another crack at it, it's on Steam these days, and apparently it fixes a lot of the worst problems with the XBox version.
https://www.badgamehalloffame.com/blog/drake-of-the-99-dragons/

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2019, 02:50:52 pm »
That is very hard.  I think for a game to be "least favorite" you actually have to have some kind of expectation going into it, only to be let down......

I had high hopes going into it for the first time:
1. Bart's nightmare
2. Dennis the Menace
3. Page master
4. Indiana Jones (nes)
5. Pokemon (any of them, for me just sooo over rated).
Honorable mentions: Golden eye and Tomb Raider (sorry not sorry, just find them to get boring quick and, again, over rated).

...Only to be let down.  I was younger so you'd find these types of games thinking they might be cool, only to be let down.

On the flipside, if you know a game is going to be bad (because of reviews or otherwise) and play it and it is bad, well, expectations were already lowered to begin with.  For example Secret of the stars, so although bad, does not qualify as my least favorite because I never expected much and did not get much.

Special RPG only list (I can play almost any rpg, so to make this list, you have to be BAD)
1. Super Hydalide
2. Obitus (really wanted to like this and really tried, but....)
3. Eye of the beholder
4. Dungeon Master (snes)
5. The faery tale
(Honorable mention: Might and magic 3 (snes)).  Now you might think I just don't like first person (rpgs or otherwise) but I enjoyed Kings Field (psx), Shining in the Darkness (genesis), Arcana (snes), did not mind the overworld of Drakkhen/Dragon view and 1st person parts of Persona (psx) to name a few.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 03:01:00 pm by travel27 »

chillyfeez

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2019, 09:35:14 pm »
It's very hard to choose, but here's my list anyway:

1. Super Mario World

BLASPHEMY!

2. Zelda - A Link to the past

oh, my...

Ignore my list then!

Too late. I am already dead.
 ;)

TWINE was indeed a Bond game on the N64, though you might also be thinking of Goldeneye: Rogue Agent or Goldeneye Reloaded.

No, it was definitely TWINE, then. It might not even be a bad game, it just could not fill the massive shoes of its predecessor. I lived in a house with five other guys around that time and GoldenEye was one if the primary sources of entertainment for a good while. The release of TWINE ruined bond games for the rest of college. Then we discovered Super Smash Bros. And that drove the final nail in the coffin of multiplayer Bond games for good.

Battle Clash / Metal Combat actually sound kind of nifty.
https://hg101.kontek.net/battleclash/battleclash.htm
Some of them are perfectly decent.

Oh, it was cool (I think Battleclash is the line I played), but you had to be a legitimate marksman to get anywhere with it.
Ongoing project: "Final Fantasy IV: A Threat From Within"

Latest Demo

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2019, 10:47:02 pm »
one mention i haven't seen: i'd have to say beyond the beyond

weakest camelot game