News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney translating help?  (Read 1057 times)

S.D.A.

• View Profile
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney translating help?
« on: August 20, 2019, 10:43:39 am »
I would like to translate Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney for the DS. I already know how to edit texts, I have to use the Script Editor. But where the graphics (buttons, images) are stored? And in the US version are there any special characters and how do I add them? Thanks for any answer.
When you are bored, here's what you can do: ROM hacking.

Badseed

• View Profile
Re: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney translating help?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 09:55:10 am »
Not that I would ever discourage anyone from taking on a project or doing anything to expand their horizons, but I gotta ask: Why bother to translate this when there is already a us version here? Is there a fundamental difference between Japan and us versions?
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

S.D.A.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 02:19:54 pm »
Not that I would ever discourage anyone from taking on a project or doing anything to expand their horizons, but I gotta ask: Why bother to translate this when there is already a us version here? Is there a fundamental difference between Japan and us versions?
I'm not English. I want to translate this in a way different language.

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 09:28:56 am »
 Whoops sorry, you know us asshole Americans always assuming everyone else is English.  ;) Anyhow check out this editor maybe it will help.
Link : https://code.google.com/p/tinke/
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"

Solid One

• Silent Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 03:15:33 pm »
Which of the games you are referring to, and to which language you wish to translate this game?

It's worth to mention that, for the DS versions, there's already official translations of the first three Phoenix Wright games for various languages besides english, such as spanish, french, german and italian. So, if you're wishing to translate it to, let's say, french, then there's no need to do so.

But if you're referring to other PW games that haven't got official translations to other languages besides english, such as Ace Attorney Investigations series per example, there's already some guys working on it.

If you're trying to translate it to other language besides the ones I've mentioned, then I got a few hints to you:

• If you're using PWSE to edit texts, then it won't work. You'll get in-game crashes sooner or later;
  • Some graphics are uncompressed, and can be viewed simply by opening the rom in any Tile Editor, by using 4bpp linear / 8bpp codecs, and switching between 1 or 2 dimensional modes;
  • Most graphics are compressed in LZSS, and you won't be able to see them in Tile Editors. You'll have to use other tools, such as LazyDS or LZSSRestructor 2

And last but not least: good luck. You'll need it, because hacking this game entirely is a very hard task.

S.D.A.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 05:13:20 am »
Which of the games you are referring to, and to which language you wish to translate this game?

It's worth to mention that, for the DS versions, there's already official translations of the first three Phoenix Wright games for various languages besides english, such as spanish, french, german and italian. So, if you're wishing to translate it to, let's say, french, then there's no need to do so.

But if you're referring to other PW games that haven't got official translations to other languages besides english, such as Ace Attorney Investigations series per example, there's already some guys working on it.

If you're trying to translate it to other language besides the ones I've mentioned, then I got a few hints to you:

• If you're using PWSE to edit texts, then it won't work. You'll get in-game crashes sooner or later;
  • Some graphics are uncompressed, and can be viewed simply by opening the rom in any Tile Editor, by using 4bpp linear / 8bpp codecs, and switching between 1 or 2 dimensional modes;
  • Most graphics are compressed in LZSS, and you won't be able to see them in Tile Editors. You'll have to use other tools, such as LazyDS or LZSSRestructor 2

And last but not least: good luck. You'll need it, because hacking this game entirely is a very hard task.
The first one. I would maybe translate it in something like Dutch or any other language that uses the following characters Ä,Ö, and Ü if available in the ROM. Is there a way to add any special characters if not present?

August 24, 2019, 05:19:28 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
For example, outside this site I found a Russian translation of the first PW game made by Dant, where he translated the texts (changing the font too), graphics, the lines with its respective voices (e.g. Objection) and even the title screen which now says "Судебный поворот".
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 05:19:28 am by S.D.A. »

Solid One

• Silent Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 03:45:39 pm »
The first one. I would maybe translate it in something like Dutch or any other language that uses the following characters Ä,Ö, and Ü if available in the ROM. Is there a way to add any special characters if not present?

No need to do so. The european versions already has those characters.

For example, outside this site I found a Russian translation of the first PW game made by Dant, where he translated the texts (changing the font too), graphics, the lines with its respective voices (e.g. Objection) and even the title screen which now says "Судебный поворот".

There's the possibility that he developed its own tools, instead of using any other existing ones. Maybe you should try contacting him, to ask about these questions.

S.D.A.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 05:06:02 am »
No need to do so. The european versions already has those characters.
Shame though I want to use the USA version. Why do I have to translate multi-language scripts?

There's the possibility that he developed its own tools, instead of using any other existing ones. Maybe you should try contacting him, to ask about these questions.
I could do that, unfortunately I don't speak Russian.

Cyneprepou4uk

• Самый лысый ромхакер
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 05:37:50 am »
I speak russian. And there is a chance he speaks english.
I am the baldest romhacker
NES Romhacking Guide

S.D.A.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 06:38:21 am »
I speak russian. And there is a chance he speaks english.
How do you know that? I found his translation on the translation base section of Chief-Net's site. It said it was posted on a Russian game community site.

Cyneprepou4uk

• Самый лысый ромхакер
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 06:44:26 am »
So? Where else did you expect a russian translation to be posted?

I don't know for a fact, I just assume.
I am the baldest romhacker
NES Romhacking Guide

S.D.A.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 06:48:58 am »
So? Where else did you expect a russian translation to be posted?

I don't know for a fact, I just assume.
Probably not on this site.

Badseed

• View Profile

S.D.A.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 03:13:19 pm »
Another helpfull link :

https://gbatemp.net/threads/debuting-10-years-of-phoenix-wright-ace-attorney-script-editor-0-2-1.487226/
Solid One said I must not use the PW script editor because then I could crash the game.

August 28, 2019, 05:55:25 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Anyway, is there something that I can do? Maybe a language spell-checker or another text extractor/insertor?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 05:55:25 am by S.D.A. »

julayla

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 12:51:37 pm »
Too bad for some people that there's no script editor for the GBA Gyakuten games or I'd play them (with some non-Localize translation) too.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2019, 12:47:54 am »
Too bad for some people that there's no script editor for the GBA Gyakuten games or I'd play them (with some non-Localize translation) too.
They're barely distinguished from the DS version, so why would you..?

The tools for making the "Comeback Courtroom 3" translation are open-source, so that's something.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/comebackcourt/
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

S.D.A.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2019, 04:33:11 pm »
Anyway does the USA version have these characters with the dieresis on?

September 21, 2019, 10:00:11 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
First of all, can I know how do I change the color of the passport in the first case from red to blue? Cause it is dark blue in the EU version, based on the European passport format.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 10:00:11 am by S.D.A. »