News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Modifying NES Backgrounds (Name Tables?) - Itadaki Street  (Read 378 times)

RType88

• View Profile
Modifying NES Backgrounds (Name Tables?) - Itadaki Street
« on: August 20, 2019, 03:32:05 am »
Hi all,

I'm currently trying to complete a translation of the Famicom game Itadaki Street. I've had success with pointers, dicitonaries and text replacement (thanks to yourselves!), however, I'm having some trouble with the title screen.

Effectively, Itadaki Street's logo is stored in the tileset in a jumbled manner which isn't particularly a big issue in and of itself, but in the actual ROM some tiles are reused multiple times. It's in such an odd way that it's pretty much impossible to design an effective logo in English by just replacing the tiles, so I need to change the order in which the tiles are displayed to get my modified logo to display correctly.

I figured this would be just as easy as replacing text (considering you're only swapping the sprites there to display the letters you want in the order you want), but no such luck. I've searched for HEX values of the tiles (and relative searched for good measure) in their current order to see what I can find but nothing comes up.

So my question is this: how are nametables (which I believe is the name for the block of code dictating which and where tiles are drawn?) typically stored in NES roms? How can I modify this to draw the tiles for the title screen background in the order I want? I want to replace the tiles in the ROM with my own, and then dictate in which order they're drawn so they display correctly. I've tried to set breakpoints to the tiles through Mesen as some posts I've seen have suggested for similar issues but at the moment I just can't understand that at all, so if that's necessary any tips on doing so would be amazing. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much for your help!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 03:39:39 am by RType88 »