News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI - Retranslated for the SNES  (Read 5654 times)

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Final Fantasy VI - Retranslated for the SNES
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2019, 09:12:50 am »
-zap-

If we've got to get strict about it:

There are actually four versions which can be called 'English translations.'

1) Ted Woolsey (The USA SNES version).
2) RPG One (what most people call "Sky Render" after the user who I guess did the translating work?).
3) Tom Slattery (The GBA port).
4) This.

The Tom Slattery script is the one currently being used by Square Enix (and they paid for it, so why not). It is very detailed and has a lot of flair, but many people find it loses a lot of the charm of Woolsey's original version. In addition, Woolsey reportedly nearly died splitting his time between it and Secret of Mana, so there's a certain awe to how well it actually did turn out.

Sky Render's version was part of the inception of the romhacking scene, but other than that, it is seen as an intermediate take on translating Japanese to English, somewhere in the realm of a fan sub for an anime. Reprogramming the game to accept English characters from scratch (recall that this was way before FF3usME or any of the handy-dandy text injectors we have now existed) was seen as an impressive technical feat at the time, but I don't believe SR ever intended for it to be a replacement for FF6's official English Translation. In truth, his website doesn't really feature it, to this day. Something tells me that it's a project he's long since abandoned and would prefer to forget about.*

What this script is, then, is a modern take on retranslating the exact Japanese script line-for-line, that also attempts to keep some of the 'color' of the Woolsey script, presumably for nostalgia's sake. As someone who's played all 4 of these translations (I haven't finished this one yet), I have to say I find this to be the best job yet.

There have been a lot of 'rewrites' (guilty) 'reimaginings' and 'reworks' of FF6, as well as lots of gameplay hacks and bug fixes, but only four actual 'translations.'

That's not that many, really.

* Tripod? Wow, 90s internet much
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 08:19:31 pm by MathOnNapkins »
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2019, 09:46:30 am »
Actually, there are 2 more main fan re-translations that are active:

Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition - Practically the same as this one, down to revisions based on Tomato's Legends of Localization series.

FFVI Relocalization Project - Expands the rom and merges the SNES and GBA scripts. By far the best re-translation, but the way the hack was made makes it unfortunately incompatible with any other hacks.

I've been using the TWUE script for my hack, but I've been unimpressed with it so far. It is literally what it says; an uncensored edition. It doesn't so much fix the script as it does add in the edgier content from the Japanese game. I plan to check out this script to see if I can use it as a base.

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2019, 02:48:45 pm »
Actually, there are 2 more main fan re-translations that are active:

Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition - Practically the same as this one, down to revisions based on Tomato's Legends of Localization series.

FFVI Relocalization Project - Expands the rom and merges the SNES and GBA scripts. By far the best re-translation, but the way the hack was made makes it unfortunately incompatible with any other hacks.

I've been using the TWUE script for my hack, but I've been unimpressed with it so far. It is literally what it says; an uncensored edition. It doesn't so much fix the script as it does add in the edgier content from the Japanese game. I plan to check out this script to see if I can use it as a base.

They say that they're re-translations, but for the purposes of being *strict*, as I said, t Ok, reading further, neither of these claims to have actually translated anything from scratch. They did not go directly from the kana/kanji, therefore, not translations. They only worked with what Slattery and Woolsey (and perhaps Sky Render) had already translated, as I did with Stand Guard.

For me, that doesn't qualify as a 'translation' the way this does. Tomato went directly from the Japanese from scratch, and this was done concurrently with Legends of Localization as a base.

August 31, 2019, 01:23:40 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Streaming live over at Twitch backslash Nandemoyasan. Mature ish audiences only because I am one sailor.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 01:23:40 am by Spooniest »

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2019, 08:18:42 am »
Yeah. And you're doing it in a topic about a FF6 retranslation.
Nope. Only about the whole concept of the hack.

Quit backpedaling. You even had the gall to suggest he should be doing something else, instead of what he wanted to do.

Nope, nope, all the nope. Where would you suggest they bring criticism of the thing, other than the thread related to the thing? I also don't like your throwing down the MythrilGlove tone at them. I don't agree with them, but I agree less with you. Come on, that's unfriendly outright, duder. :| Staaaahp

Hula hoops got old.
Tie dye got old.
Disco got old.
Hair metal got old.
The Matrix got old.

When is this confrontational attitude towards people on the internet going to get old? It has literally been 25 years next year since the household internet boom. Do people ever get tired of starting internet duels? I'm tired of it.

Returning to the topic, if Vladimir V Y thinks this project has been done too many times, it's not up to me to force them to change that opinion, and it's not up to others to shame them for that opinion, and it's just an opinion. You aren't helping hairy_hen's project by bringing the Flametongue down on it, and you aren't going to change Vladmimir V Y's opinion by force... I don't see the logic here.

They said that after they read my post (which maybe you should read too, it doesn't seem as though you've read the entire thread, it's only up to its second page, you know), they might be interested in trying it. You being belligerent with them might actually achieve the opposite of what seems to be your intended aim, to promote the project.

If it sounds really cheesy and cliche, that might be because it's true, but honey catches more flies than vinegar. If I've learned anything from internetting for 25 years, it's 1) "Internetting" really ought to be included in the spellchecker's dictionary, and 2) getting ticked off at someone on the internet is a waste of time.

liraman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2019, 05:42:36 pm »
I've helped with RpgOne Sky Render's FFVI Retranslation Project beta testing back in the day.

Good Times.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2019, 10:38:47 pm »
Didn't Tomato find out the Render script was full of stuff made up on the spot and reworded, punched-up Woolsey lines to sound edgy? Like an anime fansub from the same time period?

liraman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2019, 11:38:10 pm »
Didn't Tomato find out the Render script was full of stuff made up on the spot and reworded, punched-up Woolsey lines to sound edgy? Like an anime fansub from the same time period?

The beta testing was to find bugs and crashes in the game, as i recall this was the first hack to use the japanese rom and integrate the English script, a lot of effort was put to fix those bugs.

Regarding the translation we only notify typos and some phrases that made no sense or were worded incorrectly. I know Tomato is a very professional translator and the script sure has much room for improvement.

As for the script it was indeed different, many people didn't like the woolseyrism disappeared, I have no knowledge of the script being 100% accurate or not, i saw that project as the first 100% retranslation directly from the japanese rom, it was more about all the hacking needed to insert the new script.

Will you jump into teh craen?

« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 11:45:33 pm by liraman »

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2019, 12:45:22 pm »
@ liraman:

I'd be interested in speaking with you about this. If you check your dm's, I'll have messaged you.

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2019, 09:25:52 pm »
Maybe I'm a complete derp, but I can't seem to get the BPS patch to work in Snes9x 1.60 at all. When I use Lunar IPS (Floating IPS version), it says "this is not designed for this ROM".  Using the FF3(U][!]USA.SFC ROM and no avail.

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2019, 12:19:15 am »
lips doesn't do bps

you need to use something like beat or the site's rom patcher (i think that does bps?)

tatundria

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2019, 06:43:05 am »
Which version of the rom do we need to use for this patch?

The name is cut in the Project Page...

Stifu

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2019, 02:02:30 pm »
Which version of the rom do we need to use for this patch?

The name is cut in the Project Page...

It doesn't appear to be cut on my side:

ROM file: Final Fantasy III (USA).sfc No-Intro Super Nintendo Entertainment System (v. 20180813-062835)
    SHA1: 4F37E4274AC3B2EA1BEDB08AA149D8FC5BB676E7
    MD5: E986575B98300F721CE27C180264D890
    CRC32: A27F1C7A

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2019, 05:36:15 pm »
I'm down with this too, because FF6 needs a better Spanish patch and this hack is the perfect base. The official Spanish translation for GBA and Steam is good, but it's written in European Spanish which makes it unbearable for LatAm players, and the last patch for the SNES version is too faithful to the Woolsey script down to the blatant mistakes (Typhon is translated as Sucker, and Trine is literally translated as Train, for example)

The problem is that I don't have time to make it. Someday, someday.

I've been curious about this for a while, but what big differences are there between European Spanish and LatAm Spanish?  I don't know the language very well but I like playing games in it.  Do patches and official releases use one type more than the other?

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2019, 04:56:50 am »
lips doesn't do bps

you need to use something like beat or the site's rom patcher (i think that does bps?)

what about FLIPS?

I've been curious about this for a while, but what big differences are there between European Spanish and LatAm Spanish?  I don't know the language very well but I like playing games in it.  Do patches and official releases use one type more than the other?

European Spanish is largely considered "default Spanish" by the rest of the world, because well, they invented the language, and there's so many variants and accents (especially in LatAm) that you can't really pick one without filling the script with quirks and regionalisms that would alienate everyone outside of that variety. So official releases just go for the Spanish spoken in Spain. It's only very recently the Latinos have started to get official releases made for them. In contrast, there's more fan content (like patches) made by and for LatAm Spanish speakers precisely because "Spanish Spanish" can be a deal-breaker for many.

Why? Because it is culturally, semantically and phonetically so markedly different from all LatAm varieties, we get knocked out of our suspension of disbelief as soon as we read or hear it even though we can understand it perfectly. Some words have different meanings that are archaic to us, figures of speech can be mutually unintelligible, the Spanish accent has a very marked lisp that to us can sound like nails on a chalkboard (and is the total opposite of Chilean Spanish where Ss are barely -if ever- pronounced before consonants or at the end of a word), and with regards to translation they are VERY literal to the point they end up ruining puns instead of figuring out an appropriate localization. And most importantly, even though the 2nd person plural has both formal and informal forms in Spain, we just use the formal for all cases, and the informal is only mentioned at school. To us, it all sounds like bad comedy, the equivalent of the "do Brits really call popsicles cold on the cob" meme, pretentious old poetry from high school Lit class, or our own equivalent of Ye Olde Meme English, no matter what country we are from. Spaniards sound like Cyan to us! The word vosotros (the plural informal "you") is our own thou.

So our TV dubbing industry, primarily led by Mexico, figured out a "neutral Spanish" where you dial down the accents and regionalisms to a minimum and keep the pop culture influences/references to mostly stuff that's known to all Latino countries and the USA. This obviously extends to written translations, and it's the standard for our fan translations.

Making a FF6 for Latinos would be simple. We've watched enough cartoon dubs to nail the neutral semantics, and we make Cyan speak like a Spaniard. But we have to hack in the Ñ/ñ, the stressed vowels áéíóú, and the ü, which is never at the beginning of a word. The stressed capitals ÁÉÍÓÚ can be technically forgone, because unless you're writing a rigorously spellchecked paper nobody cares about them.

Now remember Typhon? Woolsey called him Chupon. Turns out "Chupón" can mean sucker, lollipop, hickey, baby pacifier, etc... and it was left as-is in the most complete fan translation of the SNES ROM I've played. They even added the accent in the O! Similarly, the moves Trine and Grand Trine were mistranslated as Train/Grand Train (despite the astrological look of the move and the lack of any rail transports or training), and the translation called them "Tren" and "Gran Tren", words that literally refer to the clickety-clack down the tracks.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 05:03:11 am by Heaven Piercing Man »

Spooniest

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2019, 11:14:34 am »
(Extensive text cut for readability)

@Heaven Piercing Man

This is the kind of quality content that keeps me coming back to RHDN. I love learning about all this stuff.

Dawdle

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2019, 01:18:03 pm »
Since I haven't played FF6 for a very long time, I was going to replay it on my snes classic, but I thought I'd give your translation a try, hairy_hen.

After finishing this, do you plan on working on other translations? Dragon Quest III or VI perhaps?