News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: [Graphics] Need Updated Intro Screen for NBA Live 2020 HWC  (Read 1374 times)

kdubmods

• View Profile
[Graphics] Need Updated Intro Screen for NBA Live 2020 HWC
« on: July 30, 2019, 10:17:45 pm »
Hello!

I received a lot of positive feedback for NBA Live 19 Hardwood Classics:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4395/
https://tecmobowl.org/files/file/593-nba-live-19-hardwood-classics/

I am in the process of creating next season's ROM hack--NBA Live 2020 HWC--but need help with the intro graphics. The main thing I need to change is the Intro Screen from saying "NBA 96 Live" to "NBA 2020 Live HWC".

But we can start with a simple 96 -> 20 update first.

Is anyone out there pretty good with Sega graphics editing, especially Intro Screens? Is this something a contributor out there can knock out for me (and take full credit for that particular hack)?

Graphicus

• View Profile
Re: [Graphics] Need Updated Intro Screen for NBA Live 2020 HWC
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 04:25:34 pm »
Hello there.

I'm pretty good at editing graphics that contain a limited palette. I looked up the title screen you were talking about and already changed the 96 to a 20 without too much difficulty (just to see if I could). I haven't added the HWC yet, but it shouldn't be an issue.

What I want to know is: Do you actually need ARTISTIC help changing the graphics or do you also need assistance hacking it into/out of the game?

I'm just a graphics/pixel artist aficionado and I'm not too clear on the how the categories work. I've noticed many times people will need help importing/exporting graphics and label those topics as [Graphics] even if they don't actually need any help editing the graphics themselves. For me, that's more of a [Technical] thing, but I may be wrong. If you want me to continue with what I've done, let me know. Just know that I have zero hacking experience, so I can send you a PNG or whatever but I have no idea how you'd go about inserting it back into the game.

kdubmods

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 06:50:10 am »
At the moment, I need help with both--changing the artwork and saving those graphic changes it into the ROM.

For now, please send that screenshot, I'll find out how to integrate that change into the game. I just finished updating the roster, and I'd like to include your "20" change for my 08/15 "preseason" release if possible.

If the meantime, please continue working on the following for the intro screen:
*change 20 to 2020
*add "HWC" on that screen
    --Idea #1 -> change NBA logo to NBA HWC logo
    --Idea #2 -> make "LIVE" about half its height, put "HWC" underneath it
*change out player pics with updated player pics (I can send those if you want)

NOTE: These changes will appear in the start of the regular season release (on or around 10/15).

Any graphics help is greatly appreciated because there's plenty to do. To name a couple:
*updated NBA team logos
*show starting lineup player pics (missing in Live 96, was in Live 95)
*updated player attributes (e.g. big afros, cornrows, and long beards)

Thanks in advance!

PS - I'm all about saving time, so if anyone else out there is currently familiar with saving such a change to a Genesis ROM and can knock this one out, please let me know!

Graphicus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 01:31:46 am »
Ok, so... I can help with making the graphics, but not uploading them to the ROM or anything technical of the sort.

So far this is all I had done:

Not sure if 2020 would look good. Originally you said to change it to a 20, so that's what I did.

As far as the HWC logo is concerned, I think it'd be more interesting to add the official logo rather than just writing it in the same lettering as the word "LIVE". There seem to be multiple logo's though. Which one were you referring to? I have no idea about Basketball, sadly, hence the questions.

kdubmods

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 04:22:33 am »
OK,

I went ahead and released my "Preseason Edition" (Rev. A):
https://tecmobowl.org/files/file/626-nba-live-2020-hwc/

Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to include your screenshot in time and save it to the ROM. But, I definitely want to include for the next update (in a couple of weeks).

So, is anyone out there good enough with saving graphics changes such as this one to a Genesis ROM?