News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: FF3/6 (SNES) 2P question.  (Read 612 times)

antiheroforhire

• View Profile
FF3/6 (SNES) 2P question.
« on: July 18, 2019, 09:36:37 am »
Hey all, good morning. :)

My girlfriend and I speedrun a few games and have been going through a few others casually. One I really want to show her that she missed out on is Final Fantasy 3. I've submitted some submissions here before, understand editing and understand some assembly, but it's all pretty basic level stuff.

Idea is simple: Earth Bound has a fantastic controller scheme for those unaware for old RPGs on SNES. The game is entirely 1 player, but the 2nd controller can do everything the first controller can and isn't limited at all being 2P. 2P can menu, equip items, control the overworld, talk to NPCs, etc. It's entirely possible to turn on the console and play the game with the 2nd controller from start to finish and never actually use the first controller at all. In terms of co-op this ends up being great as both people have equal control of everything, can help each other, guide each other all without having to constantly pass the controller back and forth to do a certain part.

Where should I go about looking to do the same to FF3? I know already it has partial controller support because 2P can control characters in battle, but it would be much nicer if we could both control the overworld and everything else without having to swap around controllers all the time.

Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 09:43:08 am by antiheroforhire »

STARWIN

• View Profile
Re: FF3/6 (SNES) 2P question.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 01:43:28 pm »
You check how the keys are read and at low enough level OR P2 keystate to the existing P1 keystate in an asm modification. The hardest part is finding free space to put the extra asm bytes in, which isn't terribly hard either compared to what various folks here are doing in their projects.

But a design like that sounds messy to play. I would prefer the way I did it with FF3 NES / FF5 SNES, where you need to swap the main (shown) character, and that determines who controls.

The existing partial control sharing in battles wasn't quite perfect when I played FF6 coop last time, but was okay for the most part.

PowerPanda

• View Profile
Re: FF3/6 (SNES) 2P question.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 03:05:45 pm »
You'll probably have more luck on the ff6hacking forums. Here's one that could help you get started, trying to fix a bug where 2P input IS allowed during Blitzes and SwdTechs. You can reverse this to get some idea of how things work.

https://www.ff6hacking.com/forums/thread-3770.html