News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Retsu, Geki, Lee, Joe, Mike and Ryu from SF1 sprite sheets... Alpha style!  (Read 2467 times)

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
Still have a ways to go, but wanted to post this here. Hope you enjoy. Will post more later.

Credits

DaiKuwabara - For the original sprite used as a reference sprite for Lee, Joe, and Mke
TrueBacklash - Used his Retsu sprite as reference
Spriter's Resource - For the sprites used as bases
TMZ of sprite database - For the Gen sprites
Shubuster - For more sprites that were used as bases
and Capcom for creating these characters

« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 11:28:03 am by sil3nt_j »

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
Someone tell the AVGN we might be close to finally have "Street Fighter: The Good Edition"

Vanya

• View Profile
Those are fantastic!!
Having an Alpha version of street fighter 1 has been a pipe dream of mine for years.
I know there are some MUGEN projects that remake SF1, but they use the original graphics.
Damn! I wish I know how to use MUGEN right now.

gadesx

• View Profile
There is a Street Fighter One using Mugen, with these sprites can change a lot.

seraph

• View Profile
Amazing. I always wanted to play upgraded version of SF1.

Rodimus Primal

• View Profile
Those are fantastic!!
Having an Alpha version of street fighter 1 has been a pipe dream of mine for years.
I know there are some MUGEN projects that remake SF1, but they use the original graphics.
Damn! I wish I know how to use MUGEN right now.

Maybe an update to that MUGEN project with the Alpha sprites as alternate costumes would be pretty cool to do.

Vanya

• View Profile
I guess that begs the question if MUGEN games can be edited or if you need the project files.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
I dunno, MUGEN fangames look tacky.

#

• View Profile
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 03:22:29 pm by # »

crazyrexz

• View Profile
i love the new style, this wll be good for new remake sf 1, along with updated movelist, stage layout, and add super combos at least one or two, then it will be hit !

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
Ha, well thanks people, glad you liked it. I spent a lot of time on these. Was thinking if SF1 couldn't be hacked, maybe SFA3 could be... just a thought. I still have a lot to do on the characters, but here's some ideas for their moves:

LEE
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Specials
--------------------------------------
Won Ton Kick - Charge Down, then Up + K: Similar to Gambit's Cajun Escape. Lee jumps into the air while spinning forward. The player is able to control which direction he goes by pressing the direction on the controls. This allows Lee to either jump straight up or bounce off of the walls. If a kick button is pressed, he does a downward kick. If not, he just keeps spinning until he lands.

Egg Roll Punch - Quarter Circle back + P: The punch where he rolls forward.

Tiger Punch - Quarter Circle Motion Forward + P: Lee does a dashing punch similar to Terry Bogard's burning knuckle. This counters both standing and crouching attacks. This was his main move in SF1.

Peking Duck Kick - Zig Zag forward + K: Similar to Kim Dragon's anti air from World Heroe's, except he is not englufed in flames. This is Lee's anti air.

Supers
Lo Mein - Double QCF + P: Similar to Yang's super in SF3 where he punches with both hands simultaneously.

Kung Pao Special - Double QCF + K: Lee does his dashing punch, follows with Gen's mashable punch special, then grabs the opponent, jumps into the air, and stomps on them 1-3 times depending on the level of super used.

MIKE

Specials
Dash Punch - Dragon Punch Forward + Any Button: Punch versions are a straight punch to the face. Kick versions are a straight punch to the body.

Rapid Punch - Press Punch rapidly: Mike throws punches with both hands over and over again. Unlike Joe's, it is continuous and doesn't end with an uppercut.

Lean - Hold back while being attacked - He leans to the side. Punches do the standing version, kicks do the crouching one.

Rushmore Punch - QCF + P - Similar to Yamazaki's Serpent slash. There's a low, middle and high version.

Supers
Rushmore Beatdown - Double Quarter Circle Forward + Punch: Mike Dashes at the opponent while doing straight punches and uppercuts.

Missile Punch - Double Quarter Circle Back + Punch: Mike takes a couple seconds to rear his hand back, then does an unblockable punch that sends the opponent flying if it hits. This move can be charged for more damage by holding the punch button.

RETSU
Specials:
--------------
Rush Punch - Zig Zag Backward + Punch
Same as Gouken's dashing palm strike from SF4, it goes through projectiles. The only differences are the command and the fact that it is done with a closed fist. Was thinking of adding more moves to follow up with if the first one hits. The second hit would be an elbow strike to the sternum done with the opposite (rear) hand. The third hit would be a double palm strike to the face which is used in Kempo Karate as an eye gouge with the thumbs.

Kaunta - Half Circle Forward + any button
Retsu bends his knees and squats down slightly in the horse stance and does either a high block or low block. He holds this pose for a second. If hit during this time, he does a kick similar to Ken's standing middle kick from the Alpha series for the high counter, and one similar to his standing heavy kick for the low counter. If he is not hit, the kick still comes out and he does an unblockable strike with extremely slow start up and recovery. 5 of these can kill most characters. It can counter all basic attacks, supers and specials and can parry projectiles. The only things it can not counter are projectiles that hit multiple times or multiple projectiles. This is similar to the move Dan Has in SVC Chaos and the unblockables from the Tekken series. Punch versions do the high counter, kick versions do the low counter. The punch version is vulnerable to low attacks, the kick version vulnerable to high attacks, but only during the blocking animation. The punch animations are of Retsu doing a Karate high block. The kick animations are of a Karate low block. I wanted to pay tribute to the basic attacks in SF1 that did lots of damage.

Ryoku - Half Circle Backwards + any button
Retsu does a standing chop that goes down to about his waist. This is an overhead hit similar to Shingo's elbow move from KOF '98.

Supers:
--------------------
Kicking Line - Double quarter circle forward + Kick(s)

This move is similar to Ken's Shippa Jinrai Kyaku, except he doesn't leave the ground.

The strength of the button pressed determines how many kicks he does:
LK = 2 kicks
MK = 3 kicks
HK = 4 kicks

For the first kick, he takes a step forward and does a front kick to the body with his lead leg, for the second kick he does a side kick with the lead leg, the third kick is a crescent kick with the lead leg (Ryu's Alpha Standing Heavy Kick) and finally it is a shuffle side kick (Like Ryu's SF3 shuffle side kick). The final kick sends the opponent accros the screen if it connects but only hits in the level 3 version. It also bounces the opponent off the walls.

Earth Shattering Punch - Quarter Circle Forward x 2 + Punch
Retsu gets into the horse stance, raises his rear arm up, and then slams his fist into the ground, must be jumped or blocked low. If not, the opponent is lauched into the air and loses about a 4th of a lifebar. This can set up his Rush Punch or Kaunta. The strength of the button pressed determines the damage and how high the opponent goes into the air.

Ichi - Ni - San (one, two, three) - Quarter Circle Backward x 2 + Punch (similar to the Shin Shoryuken)

* Can Only Be Done at Level 3*

This is his version of the Shin Shoryuken. Retsu rears back with his lead hand and does a palm strike to the body, followed by a punch to the body with the rear hand, then an uppercut similar to Ryu's standing middle punch. After each hit he says, "Ichi!" "Ni!" "San!" If it misses he does a taunt where he bows his head and prays like his win pose from SF1. This is his best bet against grapplers.

GEKI

(Credit goes to Trololo here for some of the move ideas)

Geki has the ability to bounce off the sides of the screen like Guy/Chun Li.

Teleport - Half circle backward + any button
Same as Striders, except instead of just vanishing, there is a big cloud of
smoke where he stands before he disappears. Then the cloud of smoke re-appears
just before he appears again. The button pressed represents the location he
teleports to on the screen. For example, light punch = Top left hand corner,'
heavy punch = top right hand corner, light kick = bottom left hand corner, etc.
This is his teleport from SF1.

Ninja Slash Half circle forward + kick
Geki does a forward flip while facing away from the opponent and simultaneously
slashes up in a circular motion, similar to the flash kick

Poison Mist - Quarter Circle forward + punch
Geki throws a green poision towards the opponent. If it connects, the opponent is temporarily stunned, similar to Spider Man's Web Ball.

Ninja Driver - Zig Zag Forward + Punch - Geki flips forward and grabs the opponent and then does a flipping power bomb type move.

Dice Kick - Zig Zag Back + Kick - Geki Flips back and then does a diving kick. The strenght of the button pressed determines the angle.

Shuriken Throw (horizontal) - charge back, then forward + punch - Geki kneels down and throws a shuriken. The strength of the button pressed determines the speed of the projectile.

Shuriken Throw (vertical) - charge down, then up + punch - Geki jumps and flips into the upper corner of the screen behind him, then throws a downward star. The strength of the button pressed determines the angle of the projectile. Similar to Rolento's Stinger.

Izuna Drop - Charge down, then up + Kick - Geki jumps and flips into the upper corner of the screen behind him, then dashes towards the opponent. If it connects, he does a somersault / german suplex type move like Vega's.

SUPERS:
---------------

Arashi (Storm)

Double Quarter Circle Backward + Punch

- Geki throws 4 sets of three stars horizontally at opponent. If it connects, the
stars stick to the opponent and then fall off. Whether or not it connects, Geki
does a quick taunt. Does a lot of damage, similar to Gambit's Royal Flask.

Ansatsu

Double Quarter Circle Backward + Kick

- This is Geki's version of the Maximum Spider or Gen's diving kick super (forgot
the name at the moment). Geki jumps up into the corner of the screen and then
dives down to do a high speed kick. If it connects, the opponent is hit with
several more flying kicks from different directions.

JOE

Specials
-------------------
Split Punch: Down, Down, Down + P
Joe does the splits and hits the opponent in the groin. Must be blocked low. Debating on whether to have the opponent re-act by being pushed back as if they have been hit in the stomach or by being frozen in place and bent over.

Box Car Kick: Charge back, forward + Kick
Similar to Joe Higashi's kick from Fatal Fury. Joe does not travel in a straight line, but in an arc in order to convey the appearance that he's actually jumping forward. The strength of the button pressed determines how far he travels. If it connects, the opponent is knocked back about 3/4 of the screen.

Upper Box Car Kick: Charge down, up + Kick
This is his version of the flash kick and main anti air. The strength of the button pressed determines how high diagonally upward he goes.

Punch Combo: Press punch rapidly
This is his version of Joe Higashi's rapid punch move. If it connects, it creates sort of a vacuum effect as the opponent is drawn in closer. The strength of the button pressed determines how many hits it gets, the final of which is an uppercut that knocks the opponent back about 1/2 the screen length. 4 hits for the LP version, 5 for the MP, 6 for the HP.

Dodge: Charge back, forward + P (not pictured)
Joe dashes forward while leaning to the side like the CvS characters do in the SNK groove. Goes through everything but does no damage. It's main function is to avoid and set up attacks. Also, the recovery is instant.

Supers
--------------------
Psychotic Conductor - Charge back, Zig Zag forward + Kick - Joe dashes forward, does his standing light kick, his standing middle punch, his standing middle kick, his punch combo (6 hits) and then does a number of Jumping spinning kicks (his classic spinning kick). The strength of the button pressed determines how many kicks he does. This goes through projectiles for the start up. It is similar to the super Takuma has where he dashes forward.

Trainyard Tornado - Double QCB + K - Joe does his jumping spin kick over and over again while moving vertically. The strength of the button pressed determines how many kicks he does. Similar to Ken's Shinryuken or Akuma's vertical hurricane kick super from MvC2
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 09:50:42 pm by sil3nt_j »

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
Damn me for being a "kinda" purist, but I think SF1 The Good Edition shouldn't have supers... yet I know if Capcom EVER did a SF1 remake, they would add supers.

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
Honestly, I don't think it really matters if they have supers or not. I would be okay with either. I think if they don't have them though, that their specials should do more damage or they could have V-ism mode or something.

I added some specials to Mike and added a few moves to Lee. Also, I added some move commands to his specials. I think I'm done with this for a while. I need a break. I'm tired. Hope everyone enjoys. Thanks for the comments so far.

EDIT

I compiled everything I had for Mike and Lee, to make it less crowded.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 08:53:25 am by sil3nt_j »

Vanya

• View Profile
On the subject of supers, they should be optional.
On the subject of new moves...

Lee should take some queues from Yun and Yang since they are his vrandkids or something.

Mike should definitely be similar to Balrog/Boxer.

And Retsu shouldn't have any specials as per his lore.

What I would do with Retsu is expand his command attacks so that be has a different normal for every direction you can press.
Every button on the ground and while crouching would have a different move for forward, neutral, and back.
Every button in the air would have a different move for up, neutral, down.
Of course some would be semi-specials like Dhalsim's drill moves or Ryu's overhead punch.
Hell come to think of it if you really want him to have command moves they could be like Ken's special kick moves in Super Turbo.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
Retsu would be perfect for a V-ISM

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
I was thinking something similar Vanya. That's all his specials that I gave him really were. He had some karate counters and a couple of unblockable kicks, along with a move like Goro from SNK's where he punches the ground and the opponent goes flying.

What would be the purpose of having all of those normals, if you dont mind me asking?

As for Lee taking Yun and Yang's moves, I thought about giving him the rolling kick, or even Gen's rapid punch, but I was trying to make him his own character. Would we really need another Yun  / Yang? I was thinking he could be more of a comic relief character. He could be to Gen what Shingo is to Kyo. I was also thinking that for his voice effects, they could be funny and he could maybe have either Yang's voice or Cheng Sin Zan's from Fatal Fury 2.

Also, here is one last picture I had for this for right now. I'm about to be really busy, so I won't have a chance to work on this for a while.

Credit to Street Fighter Wikia for the backgrounds. I made a few fake screenshots of what this could look like, if it was ever made. Also, I updated Joe's sprite sheet (above) by adding in some move commands and explaining his specials:

July 26, 2019, 11:59:01 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
While we're on the subject of voices, thought I would throw some ideas out there:

Mike - Balrog
Lee - Cheng Sin Zan from Fatal Fury or Yang
Retsu - Jubei or Gaira from Samurai Showdown, or Goro Daimon
Geki - Hanzo from Samurai Showdown or Genjuro
Joe - Would just keep his voice effects from SF1, since he was the poster boy for that game, also for nostalgia, or if he really needed a new voice, maybe Galford
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 11:59:01 am by sil3nt_j »

Vanya

• View Profile
Those mocks look great!!

I'm not suggesting that the characters take moves from other characters directly, but moreso that they suggest a relation to those other characters and maybe show a sort of progression in fighting style.

Consider that some of these characters already have established lore and maybe take that into consideration.

As for Retsu having every command normal possible, its a combination of his lore and tge idea that it hasn't ever really been done to that extreme before so he would be very unique especially if you give him a v-ism/custom combo type of super.
Hell, that would make him even more unique for being the only character with a super, but no specials.
It would be kinda like how Sean doesn't have a normal hadouken, but he does have a super one.
That basically all my thoughts on the whole thing with Retsu.

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
That's interesting Vanya. Idk, I think I still like the idea of him having specials and supers. Seems like it would be more effective, that way he could dish out more damage quicker.

Thank you to Gentleman Wrath of gamefaqs.com for these portraits. I don't have time to color them right now, but if someone else would like to, you are more than welcome. Also, I animated Geki and Lee's stances and added a get up animation for Lee.

This will be my last update for a while as I am about to be extremely busy.

July 31, 2019, 11:58:57 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
well, he just colored them hehe

August 02, 2019, 05:40:12 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
touched up the sprite sheet for Retsu if anyone wants to see. also, added some last minute get up animations:

https://i.ibb.co/Qry4HwG/Retsu-sprite-sheet.png

August 03, 2019, 10:30:58 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Updated Retsu's sprite sheet. I touched up some of the sprites, and added a getting knocked down and getting up animation, as well as a crouching heavy punch:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 11:06:57 am by sil3nt_j »

ultimaweapon

• View Profile
Those do look great. As far as styles, this is what i think.

Mike - A balance between Balrog and Dudley styles

Lee - Goro Daimon would be a good style for him

Retsu - Similar to Lei Fei from Virtua Fighter 4 or Takuma from King Of Fighters

Geki - Similar to Kage from Virtua Fighter 4 or Hanzo from World Heroes 2 Perfect

Joe - A balance between Ralph and Clark from King Of Fighters
Trust in the Heart of the Cards

sil3nt_j

• View Profile
Those do look great. As far as styles, this is what i think.

Mike - A balance between Balrog and Dudley styles

Lee - Goro Daimon would be a good style for him

Retsu - Similar to Lei Fei from Virtua Fighter 4 or Takuma from King Of Fighters

Geki - Similar to Kage from Virtua Fighter 4 or Hanzo from World Heroes 2 Perfect

Joe - A balance between Ralph and Clark from King Of Fighters

Nice, here's what I was thinking:

Mike - A cross between Balrog and Yamazaki. Yamazaki's serpent slashes with Balrog's dashing punches and a move like Cody's where he can lean out of the way. A more toe to toe version of Balrog.
Lee - A crazy drunk character who likes to jump and roll around. He has a dashing punch like Terry Bogard and a flying kick like Kim Dragon from World Heroe's. He can also do a rolling punch as a counter move and a move like the one Gambit has where he can bounce off walls.
Retsu - A counter based character with no projectiles or shotokan type moves. He has defensive counters for strikes and a rush punch like Gouken's to counter projectiles. He should NOT have any fire balls or hurricane kicks or dragon punches. We have too many of those already.
Geki - Strider's punches and Guy's kicks. He can also teleport and throw stars, sort of like Rolento's stinger move and he has a grapple move and a move where he can rush forward and do a jumping kick.
Joe - Sort of like Dee Jay but with no projectile.

But I want to try and make them their own character. I really don't want Retsu to be another shotokan or Lee to be a head swap of Gen and/or Yun/Yang.

Added a little more to Geki too:

« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 07:13:29 pm by sil3nt_j »