News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: "Napple Tale: Arsia in Daydream" English translation released  (Read 2166 times)

RHDNBot

Update By: Cargodin

“This is the story of Porch Arsia, a young girl who was mistakenly taken to the afterlife by a novice spirit guide named Straynap. If Porch is going to leave Napple World, she’ll have to tap into the power of the world’s mysterious residents and collect her six petals. Can Porch gather all of the petals that escaped her body and return to Real World in one piece?

From the team that brought you Terra Phantastica, with a 70+ song soundtrack by legendary composer, Yoko Kanno, and vocal performances by Maaya Sakamoto, welcome to Napple Tale!”

Just after its 19th anniversary, Cargodin and Esperknight's English patch for this Dreamcast action-platforming classic has finally been released!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link

Delirious17

• View Profile
I am absolutely lost on how to patch this...??  (I have my game files ready to patch but the .bat says they are invalid whichever 2 formats I try using...??)

aqualung

• View Profile
Thanks a lot for this new translation! Didn't know almost anything about this game, I'm intrigued to know how it is. I hope my Core 2 duo is able to handle Demul.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 01:39:58 pm by aqualung »

xnamkcor

• View Profile
I am absolutely lost on how to patch this...??  (I have my game files ready to patch but the .bat says they are invalid whichever 2 formats I try using...??)

When I dragged a CDI it seemed to work.

But a CDI isn't an actual ROM. It's just some hacky format the community invented so they could burn DC games onto CDs.

As much as I like that it makes it more straightforward for me to burn a CD of this Translation and play on my real DC, I'd rather they made a patch for the actual GDI.

Rolly

• SEGA & Dreamcast fan ^^
    • View Profile
It should be applied to the CDI image, preferably for the DCCM group release avaialble on web.
You will find all the important information in the Readme file.
Only Discjuggler CDI image is supported, not work on GDI or other rips (es. Redump). CDI is universal image to all emulators (like Redream, Flycast, NullDC, Demul) and real console.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
It seems to me that translating a disc image that has been modified to work on emulators is akin to translating an (S)NES ROM that has been hacked to work on Nesticle or ZSNES.

Seems to me that it's completely unnecessary given the advancements in DC hardware modding. AFAIK, you can replace the GDROM with a SD card reader to play on hardware.

Anyhow the problem is that technology advances and eventually your hacks become unnecessarily archaic and obsolete.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
It should be applied to the CDI image, preferably for the DCCM group release avaialble on web.
You will find all the important information in the Readme file.
Only Discjuggler CDI image is supported, not work on GDI or other rips (es. Redump). CDI is universal image to all emulators (like Redream, Flycast, NullDC, Demul) and real console.

The ReadMe is missing File Size Expected and any Hash values. It also doesn't say to use a CDI. And the batch file even says to use an ISO file, which isn't the actual file type you're supposed to use.

butane bob

• View Profile
This has been on my "to play one day" list for years. Thanks for your hard work. But unfortunately being .cdi only I won't be playing it any time soon.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
This has been on my "to play one day" list for years. Thanks for your hard work. But unfortunately being .cdi only I won't be playing it any time soon.

Couldn't you recompile the GDI from the CDI after it's translated?

Burned it to a disc and it didn't boot. Oh well...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 05:39:24 pm by xnamkcor »

SCO

• View Profile
Converting from cdi back to gdi is not that easy apparently.

If people manage that could a concerted effort be made to turn the few dreamcast translations that exist into redump compatible patches? I don't like the current progression of things where every patch uses a cdi base from ancient pirate dumps apparently.

I guess it's because some DC fanatics have a hardware attachment to read cdi or read a cdrom burned from cdi, but that's not a good reason imo.

xnamkcor

• View Profile
I use hardware because It was easier to just buy a Dreamcast for 35 USD than it was to buy the computer parts needed to run an emulator well enough.