News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: RetroArch comes to Steam.  (Read 790 times)

Chronosplit

• View Profile
RetroArch comes to Steam.
« on: July 14, 2019, 05:36:09 pm »
https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-coming-to-steam-this-month-july-30/

I don't really use it anymore, but I thought Steam had a rule against console emulators being on the store?  This is unexpected and kinda odd, but it will make just about every core they have gain huge popularity.  Either way it's an auto-updater.

Wonder if Square-Enix will have anything to say about this, since they specifically forbid talk of emulation on at least some of their products' steam discussion forums (or at least, I remember that about FFVII).

Special

• View Profile
Re: RetroArch comes to Steam.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2019, 05:47:26 pm »
RetroArch not an emulator.

Chronosplit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 08:43:11 am »
RetroArch not an emulator.
I realize this, but Steam's rules also tend to cover what's inside an app or other such functions.  We know exactly what the main use would be on Steam and those who accepted it know too.

Honestly though, it's not like that rule hasn't been broken before anyway.  Sega's offerings for example.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 08:52:28 am by Chronosplit »

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 09:07:09 am »
Hm.

Seems like the sort of thing that would prompt a legal smiting from Nintendo, along with others.

Special

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 09:34:11 am »
I realize this, but Steam's rules also tend to cover what's inside an app or other such functions.  We know exactly what the main use would be on Steam and those who accepted it know too.

Honestly though, it's not like that rule hasn't been broken before anyway.  Sega's offerings for example.

If it makes Valve money, liked by users and isn't illegal they won't care, there are already tons of DOSBox stuff, SEGA's emualtor + ROM pack, and a handful of literal ROM being sold like from NeoGeo & SNK.

maximo806

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 10:17:08 am »
it's probably going to be something similar to the SNES Classic but with other consoles.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 04:21:28 pm »
Seems like the sort of thing that would prompt a legal smiting from Nintendo, along with others.

On what grounds? Hard to patent, trademark or copyright an arrangement of, usually off the shelf, chips. Interoperability is also a fairly persuasive argument to some of those.

If it came with non free/PD ROMs, BIOS/firmware dumps (many such things have free replacements these days) or maybe if they could demonstrate it was made with knowledge not available to them (usual being when a bug from a manual* is replicated in emulator despite nobody doing a hardware analysis ever coming to that conclusion) then that would be one thing but you would have thought "they" would have done something long before then.

*I did read an interview with one of the dolphin writers/project management types a while back. He said they had to occasionally ban with extreme prejudice the occasional new coder saying they had access to the manuals and were willing to help.

Anyway never been a fan of these all in one emulator pack things (theoretically they should be good, the reality seldom ends up there), and the few interactions I have had with the retroarch folks has left a bad taste in my mouth, and also have no fondness for Steam but don't see this as a bad thing.

EvilJagaGenius

• View Profile
    • The Jaga's Nest
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 11:07:33 pm »
On what grounds?...

No real grounds, like you said, this should be legal.  I just get a bad feeling that having an emulator that can be used for Nintendo systems on a prominent storefront (on PC, no less!) is going to attract the attention of bloodsucking lawyers.  They are known to be quite... protective of their IPs.  I do hope my feelings of ill are misplaced though and they leave RetroArch alone.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 02:54:26 pm »
Whether it was a sensible move from the fanbase building perspective we can debate but legally the let's play and fan games stuff is all pretty clear cut.

Emulation though, as mentioned, not so much.

They have tolerated third party emulators being released as wrappers for their systems before (the GBA had a few use pocketnes), though no general purpose ones in official commercial channels for their systems. Seen plenty of donationware, donation taking and even paid emulators for the likes of android though.

What I am more back here for though is to link
https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1023470/-It-s-Just-Emulation
Now I still think they are playing it way too safe but hey.

I see there is now a follow up as well, not see it yet but linky because many around here probably saw the first
https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1025782/It-s-Still-Emulation-Saving