News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Castlevania sprite editing  (Read 846 times)

Ninja 4 Hire

• View Profile
Castlevania sprite editing
« on: July 07, 2019, 09:53:43 pm »
Hello guys,

So I wanted to hack the original NES Castlevania with Tile Layer Pro. Problem is, as I'm sure some have seen, is that it appears very difficult to make heads or tails out of the sprites. After scrolling past the code, I can see some fragments of images that are recognizable, but the rest isn't.

So, for those of you who have edited this game a changed Simon's appearance, can you please give me some pointers on how to get this done? I'd like to edit Simon, Dracula, and Dracula's second form.

Thanks.

Chicken Knife

• View Profile
Re: Castlevania sprite editing
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 06:50:10 pm »
Did you try pressing the - or + key over the area where the jumbled sprites are to see if they come into proper form? It took me time to figure that out in my early attempts at sprite editing.

Ninja 4 Hire

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 07:29:29 pm »
Hey there!

Thanks for the tip. I tried that and did see some results. However, I'm still having trouble locating the characters. I can see Simon towards the top. Dracula on the other hand I'm still having trouble locating. I read somewhere you can use or import the palettes to help identify characters and objects, but not sure how to import the correct ones into the program.

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 09:40:42 am »
I had a look in Tile Molester, and the sprite bank you want is at $5018 in the ROM, which means, as Chicken Knife suggested, you need to use + and - to get that offset. Or just do Ctrl+G and 5018. Regarding the palettes, you can click Palette->Import From->Another File, but because it's an old editor it only supports save states from two emulators: FCE Ultra (not FCEUX which everyone uses now) and NESticle. The FCE Ultra save state had the colours in the wrong order when I tried, but NESticle ones worked - though I had to run it through DOSbox! :D

Anyway, the palette just helps you to see how it will look - if you want to change the palette in the game, you'll have to go in the ROM and get your hands dirty in the code. One way to make the sprites a bit more viewable is to change the Block Size in Tile Molester. Examining the sprites I could see that the tiles for each 2x2 block are arranged like this:
A C
B D
so that's one column with two rows. So go to View->Block Size->Custom and change it to 1 column 2 rows, et voila, you can see the sprites properly. This makes editing them much easier.

I had a go myself just now, and was easily able to change Simon into the Fighter from Final Fantasy 1 - though Simon is 8x4 tiles while the fighter is 6x4, so it wasn't a perfect job. :) Anyway, hopefully this will get you started! :)

Ninja 4 Hire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 04:49:09 pm »
Thanks so much for the info. I tried it out and can now make more sense of things. Let me get more specific on what I had in mind.

I want to edit the Simon sprite and replace him with Trevor from Castlevania 3. I would like for him to look the same, but maybe change his coloring slightly.

When it comes to Dracula, I want to replace his first form with Alucard's boss form from Castlevania 3, and change his cloak to purple.

As for Draculas second form I thought of doing something from scratch, but maybe try to make it look more like Symphony of the Night's.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 05:57:20 pm by Ninja 4 Hire »