News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Ps1 game hacks that don't work on hardware (not ECC data)  (Read 1052 times)

SCO

• View Profile
Ps1 game hacks that don't work on hardware (not ECC data)
« on: July 04, 2019, 01:29:48 pm »
Specifically this translation: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/757/

Won't work on mednafen, which means it also won't work on hardware. Using the ecc tool to fix it, doesn't, because it's not on a ecc error i suspect.

Also of note, the patch is done in xdelta (not xdelta3) and does not apply to the latest redump, but to a older version.

So two things to update this patch.

Find out why it doesn't work on mednafen (tried: run it as mode1/2048 - iso), when the cue says it's mode2/2352 (cue/bin) but didn't work.

After making it work on mednafen transfer the altered files to the new redump dump, taking care to fix error correction data (simple with that tool and this https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/848/ i guess).

Make a new patch if everything works and upload. Any help here, especially the first part? My hypothesis when this happens begins and ends at 'ECD error or file is a iso and is lying in the cue' and both of those failed me.

July 04, 2019, 02:38:51 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Ok it turns out that all of the files that are different between the patched bin and the redump bin have the same size (it has a extra text file for 'please don't sell this translation, but i think that should be easy to import), so it should be easy to use the utility above to create a patch for redump. Cross fingers.

July 04, 2019, 03:00:59 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Turns out that that psx-mode2 tool can't add new files, so the translation info file with the credits is putting a wrench into the works. Any way to do that and not break anything?

July 04, 2019, 03:06:05 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Also can another person update the translation or do i have to do a new page? It's the same exact translation, only it works on mednafen and with the redump image, so i'm not sure.

You can verify it's the same by mounting a prepatched of the old and a patched 'new' and doing diff -r new-mount old-mount and there should be no differences (except the text if i cant add it).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 05:19:30 pm by SCO »

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
Re: Ps1 game hacks that don\\\\\\\'t work on hardware (not ECC data)
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 03:33:11 pm »
If the issue is the structure, I would suggest using mkpsxiso to rebuild the ISO entirely. Hopefully the game doesn't use hardcoded file LBA/size tables to access files. If it does use those, tho, you'll have to update the tables as well.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

SCO

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 03:53:07 pm »
Ehhh - If i used that tool i would need a lot of info about the original disc i'm not sure how to get, such as the original file burn order, if any file is XA audio, dummy file etc. I'm not sure i'm that competent.

I only need to append the extra 'info.txt' of the original translators to have a 'complete' working image after using psx-mode2 right now. I'm really tempted to upload what i have now as a 'new' translation without it, give all the credit to the original on the readme and page, and explain why it exists (work on mednafen and the redump dump) and wash my hands off it, unless that is against the site rules. The title screen gives attribution to the original team and no one except hackers looks at text files in ps1 cds.

PentarouZero is not a member, otherwise i'd ask them.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 04:42:01 pm by SCO »

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 04:57:21 pm »
I think technically, since it's built from another translation effort, it just has to be uploaded as an 'addendum'. Include the .txt with the patch download, and I don't think anyone will be upset.

SCO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 05:14:27 pm »
Ok, it's sent.

edit: it's sent twice because i had a typo in the readme, please ignore the first.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 07:20:33 pm by SCO »