News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Best monospaced font?  (Read 323 times)

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
Best monospaced font?
« on: June 26, 2019, 11:23:28 pm »
What NES or Game Boy (or even SNES) game do you think has the best 8x8 monospaced font? There’s only so much you can do to make monospaced fonts look nice and it’s hard to find one that’s aesthetically pleasing. For my projects I’ve been defaulting to a variation of the font that Square used for their early 90’s localizations (Final Fantasy II prototype, Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest) but I’m just not satisfied with it. But the alternatives (Earthbound Beginnings, Game Boy Pokémon games, Final Fantasy VI menu font) aren’t much better. In your opinion what games had a good 8x8 font?

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Re: Best monospaced font?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 12:02:59 am »
Sorry it's not a best, but I can say the worst font I see that people really like to use is the Castlevania III English font. It was certainly a stylish font (certainly why they changed it from the fairly standard Japanese font) but I think it is actually barely readable (especially if you go all-caps with it). (though not the worst I've seen. Captain Ed has what I would suspect to be a terrible kana font.)

By FF6, there were a couple different fonts. The English SNES version is a variation of "Chicago" while the English PS1 version and the Japanese versions used the "Square" font. I'm guessing by this topic, that English SNES font is the one you are referring to?
(though I personally like that S-E reused the original FF6 8x8 number font in battle menus on the GBA. Makes it stand out pretty well when it's kind of important.)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 01:31:34 am »
Sorry it's not a best, but I can say the worst font I see that people really like to use is the Castlevania III English font. It was certainly a stylish font (certainly why they changed it from the fairly standard Japanese font) but I think it is actually barely readable (especially if you go all-caps with it). (though not the worst I've seen. Captain Ed has what I would suspect to be a terrible kana font.)

By FF6, there were a couple different fonts. The English SNES version is a variation of "Chicago" while the English PS1 version and the Japanese versions used the "Square" font. I'm guessing by this topic, that English SNES font is the one you are referring to?
(though I personally like that S-E reused the original FF6 8x8 number font in battle menus on the GBA. Makes it stand out pretty well when it's kind of important.)
When I said "FF6 Menu Font" I meant Chicago but monospaced, whereas I meant the generic "Square" font for what they used in the FF2 prototype, FF4, and FFA/MQ.

Interesting, I didn't know that the PS1 English version of FF6 used the Square font for menus. I just did some investigating and it seems like Square gradually updated their signature font over the years, and the "final" one is the one that's used in Chrono Trigger's menus and FF6 PS1's menus (I'm talking about the 8x8 font, not the VWF Chicago or the 8x8 Chicago used only in SNES FF6).

I'm glad you pointed that out lol, I actually like how the Square font looks in CT-menus/FF6-PS1-menus.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 04:28:54 am »
What NES or Game Boy (or even SNES) game do you think has the best 8x8 monospaced font?
You're aasking the "best" font. There's no such "best" font. Every game (or company) has it's own font, and that's what makes them apart from other games. I think it's good there's a variety of fong, there's no such thing as a best font.

I fully agree, and it's funny noting that CV3 has a "gothic" font in English but normal font in the japanese version, and Super Castlevania IV is the other way around, the english version has a normal font, and the original japanese version a gothic font.

If you think it's hard to read, you have to look at old german books or printed text (pre-world war 2). They were systematically printed with gothic font, which is by today's standard extremely hard to read. But it looks great on logos and such, where it's still widely used (and not only in german).