News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How to make hacks (for free) on iOS  (Read 385 times)

EddieGames

• View Profile
How to make hacks (for free) on iOS
« on: June 24, 2019, 09:30:31 pm »
So, I want to make ROM hacks, like graphic hacks or level hacks, but I’m on iOS. I do not have a computer, or any money, so how can I do this? I’ve tried searching online, but it’s only showing how to play ROM hacks on iOS. So please help.

J^P

• View Profile
Re: How to make hacks (for free) on iOS
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 10:12:23 am »
you are out of luck, you do need computer or laptop to hack roms as I dont think anybody has made tools for iOS.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 10:46:53 am »
Can you really not get a computer? Most of the consoles we care about around here can be played on ancient PCs these days, never mind the still very useful £50 range refurb machines (less if you can refurb your own machine -- an old core2 era thing with a few gigs of RAM would be more than enough here).

IOS, and websites, do have some amount of general purpose tools (be it hex editors, tile editors or disassemblers/assemblers) that you could use to effect a hack worth playing, however if you are having to learn it and interpret it in such a way that you can do it on IOS too then you are making things far far far harder than they need to be, and nobody should approach ROM hacking expecting an easy time of things to begin with.
All the best tools, all the most useful approaches, all the future development that I can see will occur on PC (and probably Windows at that), and all the existing stuff will be built for PCs so porting it across (and despite being rough around the edges many of them are still the results of years of hard won knowledge) is similarly not going to be terribly easy.

Cyneprepou4uk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2019, 10:59:21 am »
I think the best you can do is install a hex editor app and poke around in bytes. You probably will be able to change some text and (maybe) palettes, but that's it. So good luck with that.

Better sell your iphone and buy a pc.
I am the baldest romhacker
NES Romhacking Guide

Psyklax

• View Profile
    • Psyklax Translations
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2019, 04:16:02 pm »
Can you really not get a computer?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there are so many Dells out there being thrown out of offices because they're old and nobody wants them anymore. They're still perfectly adequate hacking machines, assuming you're just dealing with 8- and 16-bit games. People have been hacking them for literally 20 years, so don't assume you need to break the bank. Of course, I've no idea where you live, but I still refuse to believe there aren't ugly old desktops out there with no GPU that can be picked up for practically free.

Hacking with an iPhone? Please. It's a job for a computer, not a toy. :D

And one more thing: "I have no money" and "I'm on iOS" are mutually exclusive. Something's not right here. :D

J^P

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 02:17:46 am »
And one more thing: "I have no money" and "I'm on iOS" are mutually exclusive. Something's not right here. :D
Probably some kid with parents/familys ipad or iphone, which explains no money but still somehow has expensive iOS device.

Badseed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 09:09:55 am »
If you must hack with a phone or tablet sell that crappy IOS device and get an Android. The IOS operating environment is way to restrictive and the little bit of anything you can do you must pay for. Android's OS is like the wild west, and you can find a lot of things to help you along ( mostly from Chinese and Russian sites). Better yet follow the prior suggestion mentioned above to get a cheap used computer. If you live by a college or University thats always a good place to start, they're always disposing of perfectly good "obsolete" computers.
"Now is the happening of Plan B!! Time for max-strength spray! Your brains will be washed with 99.9% effectiveness!"