Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

(Reserved for future poll)

Option 1
0 (0%)
Option 2
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Final Fantasy NES Trilogy Translations  (Read 51971 times)

Thirteen 1355

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy NES Trilogy Translations
« Reply #300 on: December 28, 2019, 07:39:44 am »
I'm considering to make some updates to various stats for the NES Final Fantasy games (actually, already working on some).
I want to change some imbalanced attributes (starting with FF2's shop prices) to reflect their GBA/PSP stats.

I'd like to hear some suggestions on which stats would be better adjusted to remake ones, since I've never played the originals myself. Chaos Rush' translation patches made me want to try them anyway, but then I came with the idea to maybe update the originals a bit.

December 28, 2019, 08:50:11 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Seems there's not that much to update regarding FF2. I updated guest characters' initial stats to remake standards (and defaults MP from 5 to 10), shop prices, final boss HP from 10000 to 15000.

I expected there to be bigger differences, especially in monster stats, but I guess that's regarding FF1 instead.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 08:50:11 am by Thirteen 1355 »
Helicoptering about till I find some ROM hacking treasure.

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 26, 2020, 01:35:32 am »
Hi everyone, even though I am no longer working on these, I still lurk on RHDN and thought I’d mention something regarding an update another user wanted to do.

User redmagejoe is working on fixing all of FF2’s bugs in the vanilla game, and with my permission, has also made a v1.8 for the FF2 translation that fixes some typos.

Also in order to clear up some miscommunication, I am no longer working on these, but I have no issue with people that want to update these further - you do not need my permission. My intent was to pass these projects on to the community.

So to be clear, any further updates are not done by me, and also anyone is free to update them. Should you do so, I hope that people understand that these patches are meant to follow the terminology used by whatever is the most recent official version of FF1-3 by Square Enix, and I know that some people may disagree with the official terminology for valid reasons, but for the sake of consistency I hope people consider what my original intent was for these translations - pretend as if this is something Square Enix wouldn’t mind putting out and live up to those standards. If you want to use these as a base for a new project with a different goal, then go ahead, but make it clear that it’s a separate project rather than a continuation/update of these translations.

I won’t be active much on RHDN but I might occasionally post to give my two cents on something.

Should anyone want to further update these, it might be worth considering starting a new thread in order to not confuse people since I am no longer working on these.
Sole developer of STARLIGHT LEGACY intended to be released on Steam.
Discord: https://discord.gg/fTS5Q78

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 26, 2020, 09:36:31 am »
Hi everyone, even though I am no longer working on these, I still lurk on RHDN and thought I’d mention something regarding an update another user wanted to do.

User redmagejoe is working on fixing all of FF2’s bugs in the vanilla game, and with my permission, has also made a v1.8 for the FF2 translation that fixes some typos.

Also in order to clear up some miscommunication, I am no longer working on these, but I have no issue with people that want to update these further - you do not need my permission. My intent was to pass these projects on to the community.

So to be clear, any further updates are not done by me, and also anyone is free to update them. Should you do so, I hope that people understand that these patches are meant to follow the terminology used by whatever is the most recent official version of FF1-3 by Square Enix, and I know that some people may disagree with the official terminology for valid reasons, but for the sake of consistency I hope people consider what my original intent was for these translations - pretend as if this is something Square Enix wouldn’t mind putting out and live up to those standards. If you want to use these as a base for a new project with a different goal, then go ahead, but make it clear that it’s a separate project rather than a continuation/update of these translations.

I won’t be active much on RHDN but I might occasionally post to give my two cents on something.

Should anyone want to further update these, it might be worth considering starting a new thread in order to not confuse people since I am no longer working on these.

Thanks for the update, Chaos! Glad to know you’re still present here. Hope all is well.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 27, 2020, 09:57:39 pm »
If you want to use these as a base for a new project with a different goal, then go ahead, but make it clear that it’s a separate project rather than a continuation/update of these translations.

This so much. In software development, this is called Forking, and it's perfectly fine to do so, especially when dealing with open source/community based projects. In fact, many software forks are "downstream" meaning they're not fully divorced, but update in tandem with the original project to keep any fixes alongside the new focus of the fork.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:10:36 pm by Heaven Piercing Man »