Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Poll

(Reserved for future poll)

Option 1
0 (0%)
Option 2
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Final Fantasy NES Trilogy Translations  (Read 19670 times)

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
Re: Final Fantasy NES Trilogy Translations
« Reply #160 on: July 12, 2019, 11:27:46 pm »

lol I found that DataCrystal had a text table for WSCFF1 and this is just me screwing around with a hex editor haha

Okay, back to work on the NES translation...

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 12, 2019, 11:34:05 pm »
Now, I don’t want to bite off more than I could chew, but would anyone want to see these FF1 and FF2 scripts ported to the WSC versions? I’ve never hacked WSC before but I’m assuming space isn’t as restricted as NES so it might not be too hard to inject the scripts into them, and looks like they already have a built-in English font as well. And then maybe someone can hack WSC FF1 or GBA FF1 and remake FF3 on it :laugh:

The WSC versions have abysmal sound quality, to the point where they're not worth playing IMO. I think it'd be much more worth your time to attempt hacking Origins instead. Of course, I would still prefer to see the NES version prioritized over any others.

Masaru

• i want to know diasm and c++
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 12, 2019, 11:47:49 pm »
A translation for FF1WSC would be interesting in my point of view, because the translation available is a literal copypaste of the NES translation, add the fact how unifinished the menus and the cutscenes are

CoolCatBomberMan

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 13, 2019, 01:07:10 am »
Hmm, that bit about the Light Warriors/Crystal Warriors works really well with my headcanon theory that the Light Warriors are actually manifestations of the Crystals, explaining why they're able to stop Garland's time loop at all, rather than falling victim to it, like everyone else.

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 13, 2019, 03:14:45 am »
Why don't we go further: How about inserting your FF I and II scripts to the PSP ports of 'em?

After you're done, of course.

It probably won't be necessary for FFII, because Chaos Rush's script and the script from the PSP port are based on the script of the GBA port.

"Crystal Warriors" works, IMO. I feel like that's a term used in some official FF... That and "Crystal-bearing Warriors" sounds a little awkward.

Aren't u thinking of "Crystal-Bearers?" I've heard that term used before in FFXIV (or am I thinking about that Jim Henson movie?).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 03:42:17 am by 91-MPH »

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 13, 2019, 03:57:41 am »
Okay, so I've found something interesting, but first let me start off by explaining this:

Left is FC, middle is NES, right is my translation

The original line with the words rendered in kanji is:「土 日 水 風 の 4つのクリスタルはそれぞれの力によって輝いている。4匹のカオスがそれを遮って力を手に入れようとしている。」

A literal-style awkward translation would be: Earth Fire Water Wind, each of those four crystals shine with a power. The four Chaos interrupted those powers and have "put it in their hands"(typical expression for obtaining something)

And I'm writing that line as, "Earth, Fire, Water, Wind. The four Crystals each shone with a special power. The Four Fiends of Chaos have seized those powers for their own use."

Out of curiosity, I wanted to see what the GBA translation did, so I checked, and this is what I found that's interesting:

(credit to Youtuber Cendril89 for these pics of which I took screenshots of)
Yup, looks like "Four Fiends of Chaos" is canon.

And this is what the Japanese GBA version says, which is different from the original FC text even when applying kanji to the FC text (Compare with the FC version screenshot up above):

(credit to Youtuber くるとん for these pics of which I took screenshots of)
Literal translation:
"The four Crystals that exist in this world..." "Have now lost their light. The four Chaos have interrupted those powers and have "put it in their hands"(typical expression for obtaining something)

It's already at the top of this post but here's the original FC line so you don't have to scroll up: 「土 日 水 風 の 4つのクリスタルはそれぞれの力によって輝いている。4匹のカオスがそれを遮って力を手に入れようとしている。」

So, main point is, looks like the English GBA version refers to them as "Four Fiends" but has that one sage say "Four Fiends of Chaos" as a full title, which is what I thought would be the best way to go anyways!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 04:10:08 am by Chaos Rush »

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 13, 2019, 04:09:00 am »
I thought that was a good idea anyway, but that's neat that it's canon.

AdamDravian

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 13, 2019, 04:21:44 am »
Yes, I am agitated by people continuing to argue against ChaosRush's decisions even after he makes up his mind.

I chimed in with my thoughts on the matter specifically because Chaos Rush expressed interest in hearing from gamers who grew up with the game and had strong nostalgic ties to it, which he personally lacks. Besides, he did not say the matter was closed for discussion and in fact, just a few days ago he said, "I’ll just see how discussion plays out over the next several days(weeks?)." So I did not think it was unwarranted for me to provide input. Not sure why this would agitate you.

I appreciate you all voicing your opinions on this matter. I may consider making an alternate version where I make my own localization choices (Chaos Four instead of Four Fiends, "Aquair" instead of "Oxyale", no meme-Garland). I still want to make a version that adheres to canon though, because even though this will never happen, I would like to make something that Square Enix would approve of.

Such an optional patch would be highly appreciated. Thanks for considering it.
Writer of the '80s-themed webcomic Satan Ninja 198X

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2019, 05:40:36 am »
Okay, so I've found something interesting, but first let me start off by explaining this:

The original line with the words rendered in kanji is:「土 日 水 風 の 4つのクリスタルはそれぞれの力によって輝いている。4匹のカオスがそれを遮って力を手に入れようとしている。」

A literal-style awkward translation would be: Earth Fire Water Wind, each of those four crystals shine with a power. The four Chaos interrupted those powers and have "put it in their hands"(typical expression for obtaining something)

And I'm writing that line as, "Earth, Fire, Water, Wind. The four Crystals each shone with a special power. The Four Fiends of Chaos have seized those powers for their own use."

Out of curiosity, I wanted to see what the GBA translation did, so I checked, and this is what I found that's interesting:

And this is what the Japanese GBA version says, which is different from the original FC text even when applying kanji to the FC text (Compare with the FC version screenshot up above):

Literal translation:
"The four Crystals that exist in this world..." "Have now lost their light. The four Chaos have interrupted those powers and have "put it in their hands"(typical expression for obtaining something)

It's already at the top of this post but here's the original FC line so you don't have to scroll up: 「土 日 水 風 の 4つのクリスタルはそれぞれの力によって輝いている。4匹のカオスがそれを遮って力を手に入れようとしている。」

So, main point is, looks like the English GBA version refers to them as "Four Fiends" but has that one sage say "Four Fiends of Chaos" as a full title, which is what I thought would be the best way to go anyways!

DO IT!! DOOOO IIIIIIDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!  :D :D :D

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 13, 2019, 09:02:13 am »

Literal translation:

This is hilarious. Your solution didn’t even seem obvious, yet a completely different translation team thought of the exact same solution over a decade ago and none of us knew it. I guess you’re moving in the right direction!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 13, 2019, 12:17:51 pm »
A translation for FF1WSC would be interesting in my point of view, because the translation available is a literal copypaste of the NES translation, add the fact how unifinished the menus and the cutscenes are

I believe the point of the translation (was it RPGOne as was the group doing FF2WSC?) was to do a "round 1" translation which copy-pasted the existing translation to make something playable, and then a round 2 patch with a translation the group wrote themselves.
(in the case of RPGOne, the plan was to use the Demiforce translation for the first phase)
But that second phase never happened for either patch, I guess.

That FF1WSC translation group... was Tomato the re-translator on that one, or someone else? I think Tomato did a translation (at least himself), but then realized it might've affected his professional career to disclose it. Maybe that could be why it never reached the final state.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 14, 2019, 12:59:07 am »
Now here's another thing I'd like your guys' feedback on:

I'm sure you guys already know the story on this sprite (read this if you don't).
When I played FC FF1 on my 3DS (the first six FF's are on the Japan eShop), they changed this guy's graphic to the one in the US release. I don't remember if they changed his name as well, but I do know that the FF1&2 multicart also changes this monster to the US graphics, but they didn't change his name. Seems they didn't change his name in the Japanese version until the WSC or PS version.

Now, this being a translation of the original FF1, obviously this guy will have his original sprite.

My question is, should he be called "Beholder" or "Evil Eye"? I'm leaning towards calling him Beholder, and only named him "EvilEye" because of wanting to adhere to canon, but it's just funny how it seems like the more I work on this trying to maintain SE canon the more issues I run into lol.

Heaven Piercing Man

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 14, 2019, 01:04:24 am »
I say Beholder because this is a special case, a monster that even the Japanese version covered up as the Evil Eye, and that gives it historical value as the original Japanese release.

Speaking of enemy names, will it be Death Machine as in Japan/GBA or Warmech as in every other release?

Chaos Rush

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 14, 2019, 01:18:15 am »
I say Beholder because this is a special case, a monster that even the Japanese version covered up as the Evil Eye, and that gives it historical value as the original Japanese release.

Speaking of enemy names, will it be Death Machine as in Japan/GBA or Warmech as in every other release?
I've used 'Warmech' primarily for space reasons. 'Warmech' looks better than 'DthMachine' or 'DeathMCHN' or something like that. I really had to crunch in the enemy names to the point where I removed spaces between enemy names with two words. I did my best to only use abbrevations for names that exceeded 10 chars but chose to remove spaces between two-word enemy names to save data space in order to make the names fit, and even had to move the last few names to a different section of the ROM (and this is with DTE compression). I've already expanded enemy names to 4+ longer than they were in the Japanese version, and any more would require a drastic reworking of the battle interface (like FF Restored).

(don't worry, I can make "Beholder" and "D.Beholder"(Death Beholder) fit)

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 14, 2019, 01:50:53 am »

I'm sure you guys already know the story on this sprite (read this if you don't).
When I played FC FF1 on my 3DS (the first six FF's are on the Japan eShop), they changed this guy's graphic to the one in the US release. I don't remember if they changed his name as well, but I do know that the FF1&2 multicart also changes this monster to the US graphics, but they didn't change his name. Seems they didn't change his name in the Japanese version until the WSC or PS version.

Now, this being a translation of the original FF1, obviously this guy will have his original sprite.

My question is, should he be called "Beholder" or "Evil Eye"? I'm leaning towards calling him Beholder, and only named him "EvilEye" because of wanting to adhere to canon, but it's just funny how it seems like the more I work on this trying to maintain SE canon the more issues I run into lol.

I second H.P.H.'s opinion. Even if this translation is supposed to be something Square Enix would be proud of, it's still based off of the original game.

And the Beholder doesn't even look like an Evil Eye (even though it does have one eye on its front).

BlazeHeatnix

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 14, 2019, 02:18:12 am »
It should be Beholder. This is a special case where Evil Eye is just an entirely different monster.

CoolCatBomberMan

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 14, 2019, 02:36:20 am »
Yeah, Squeenix isn't exactly trying to cover up the Beholder's inclusion in the original release. FFI PSP and the Ultimania Compilation artbook both include Amano's original artwork for it (albeit referred to as the Evil Eye).

91-MPH

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 14, 2019, 05:18:45 am »
Yeah, Squeenix isn't exactly trying to cover up the Beholder's inclusion in the original release. FFI PSP and the Ultimania Compilation artbook both include Amano's original artwork for it (albeit referred to as the Evil Eye).

Then again... the Beholder does kinda look like an Evil Eye.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 14, 2019, 06:03:29 am »
I've used 'Warmech' primarily for space reasons. 'Warmech' looks better than 'DthMachine' or 'DeathMCHN' or something like that. I really had to crunch in the enemy names to the point where I removed spaces between enemy names with two words. I did my best to only use abbrevations for names that exceeded 10 chars but chose to remove spaces between two-word enemy names to save data space in order to make the names fit, and even had to move the last few names to a different section of the ROM (and this is with DTE compression). I've already expanded enemy names to 4+ longer than they were in the Japanese version, and any more would require a drastic reworking of the battle interface (like FF Restored).

(don't worry, I can make "Beholder" and "D.Beholder"(Death Beholder) fit)

I say you should stick with Beholder.
If someone really wants to, they can make a tiny addendum patch to change the name and/or graphic to the later version.

On the subject of Death Machine, why not call it "DeathMech" if it can fit?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 12:44:59 am by Vanya »

Neon Streetlight

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2019, 08:26:04 am »

My vote goes to Beholder because I like keeping it in its original form for historical purposes. That being said, I don’t see much of a difference between this situation and the others that have come up so far (four chaos, death machine, the infamous knock you down line, etc.). I don’t think many people are attached to the name “Evil Eye,” but it is definitely the “official” name.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 09:56:45 am by NeonStreetlight »