News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Testers needed: Kirby's Super Star Stacker English Patch  (Read 27068 times)

Reld

• View Profile
Re: Testers needed: Kirby's Super Star Stacker English Patch
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2019, 12:09:30 pm »
Weird. Was Beta 14 still OK? I'm at work right now so I can't check.

The letters and numbers on the end are because of the graphical edits I did when I inserted the 8x16 English font, so it looks like all that happened is that the default names were reverted. I just have no idea why that would have happened.

You're not using an old SRAM file by any chance are you? Once the SRAM file gets created the default names are no longer read from the ROM, so if it was an SRAM file created before I edited the names that would explain it.

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2019, 12:33:28 pm »
The issue doesn't appear on my end.
Clean SRAM gives me the proper translated names; definitely check you're not loading an old save file.

This doesn't occur for anyone else, does it?

@Reld, I've just gone through the text button sprites (retry/quit & player/modes) and replaced the text with anti-aliased versions. When you get a chance, check them out and see if you like how they look. No hard feelings if you think you can do better!
I'd rather not attempt to insert any compressed sprite stuff at this stage, lest it break something else, so here are the .bin files:
Link.

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2019, 02:20:59 pm »
The issue doesn't appear on my end.
Clean SRAM gives me the proper translated names; definitely check you're not loading an old save file.

Yep, that was the problem.  Renamed the patched ROM file to something else (as to avoid SRAM conflicts) and it works properly.

Sorry for the false alarm.

darthvaderx

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2019, 04:03:01 pm »
I'm sorry, aborted.  :-[
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 04:08:09 pm by darthvaderx »

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2019, 12:50:02 am »
Here's a patch for the buttons: Link

I'm not totally sure how I feel about this one. I did end up changing it, but not really because I thought I could do better. Some of the graphics you made looked great, but some of them seemed to have been done with the wrong palette or something and were coming out kind of screwy, so I tried your previous suggestion of just using the 8x16 font. I think it looks pretty decent, and it kind of keeps things consistent, but I'm so used to seeing the other style at this point that it looks a little funny to me now. I probably just need to step away from it for a bit and come back with fresh eyes.

I also fixed the anti-aliasing on the word "SCORES". I had never noticed it before, but the two lighter shades were reversed.

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2019, 08:26:57 am »
They definitely take a little getting used to, but I think the consistency is a genuine improvement. Looks great!

I'd try to update the VS character select names, but a lot of those are so tightly fit in the space as is that I think any attempt to create an AA effect will leave names like Kawasaki fuzzy and hard to read at best.
So I think all that's left now is lengthening the player names and replacing the default 'NONE' with Guest.
It might be easiest to just use the shortcut I suggested for 'Guest' - even if you can get the name entry extended, it feels like the simpler solution there would save messing about in the long term. And at that point everything should be in its fully translated state!

Kirby's Super Star Stacker Beta16 includes this update.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2019, 02:47:43 am »
Thanks to you all, I was able to introduce this game to my gf and now she's been kicking my butt at it.  ::)

Anyway, 2 minor things from when I was playing (beta 14)

Wouldn't it make more sense if it were LOSS rather than LOSE?

Practice vs. Practise? Are we going by British spelling conventions?
free sluffy

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2019, 04:51:27 am »
Any chance you could share notes and compression tools that made this possible, to help the chances of other translations happening? The 8x16 font that's now included is one such major hurdle.

It was really sweet following this collaborative project and the ensuing result.

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2019, 05:04:13 am »
The Text "Practise" Should Be Changed To "Practice" And It Should Say: Practice Hard And Get Lots Of Stars!  :)

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2019, 08:43:56 am »
The Text "Practise" Should Be Changed To "Practice" And It Should Say: Practice Hard And Get Lots Of Stars!  :)

Actually, "practise" is the British spelling for the verb (but not noun) rendered as "practice" in American English.  So in the UK one could say that the doctor practised his golf swing before going to his medical practice.

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2019, 11:49:52 am »
Thanks to you all, I was able to introduce this game to my gf and now she's been kicking my butt at it.  ::)
Hahaha, my girlfriend started the biggest English Puyo Puyo Discord server, so I think you can guess how any games between US go! xD

Wouldn't it make more sense if it were LOSS rather than LOSE?
Hmm... yeah, assuming the same sprites aren't used elsewhere in a context where "LOSE" is more appropriate, you're right. I don't know if they are, so it's something to check first... but I don't THINK they are.

Practice vs. Practise? Are we going by British spelling conventions?
Actually, "practise" is the British spelling for the verb (but not noun) rendered as "practice" in American English.  So in the UK one could say that the doctor practised his golf swing before going to his medical practice.
As a loyal subject of the British Empire, I am sworn to honour and uphold The Queen's English and the proper spelling therein. =P

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2019, 02:11:40 pm »
As a loyal subject of the British Empire, I am sworn to honour and uphold The Queen's English and the proper spelling therein. =P

can't argue with that  ::)
free sluffy

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2019, 12:03:53 pm »
Any chance you could share notes and compression tools that made this possible, to help the chances of other translations happening? The 8x16 font that's now included is one such major hurdle.

It was really sweet following this collaborative project and the ensuing result.
Sorry; forgot to reply to this!
My partner actually built a tool I used while formatting the text, but it's very buggy and I kinda hacked it to make it work one way, which broke other parts... essentially I need to get her to fix it and develop it to a point where people who aren't me can use it. xD
As it stands, it really just works because I know how to coax it to.
I would absolutely like to be able to share everything in case anyone else wants to try translating it!

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2019, 01:26:13 pm »

I have the foundation work for six-letter names done. Editing them works perfectly on the naming screen, and they save properly. No patch yet because every other screen that displays names shows garbled nonsense at the moment, but this was the major hurdle. I'm fairly confident now that I can make it work. Just giving a little update.

My personal notes are an absolute mess. Think randomly scribbling things on a napkin, but in text file form. I don't think they would be very useful to anyone.

The compression tools (exhal/inhal) already existed and are freely available. They're more general purpose tools for Hal games.

Then there's the game-specific tools that Dana was using for ripping/inserting the "script". Those are also freely available. The thing about the "script" though is that it isn't really a script in the traditional sense. I think the tutorial text might actually be stored as strings (I haven't looked at it at all) but pretty much everything else is stored as background tile maps. If you look back at some of the snippets of "script" that have been posted in this thread you'll see that each letter is broken into multiple parts (A1, A2, etc.) interspersed with hex values in brackets. The letter parts are references to a table file full of tile IDs, and the hex values in brackets are the tile attribute data (palette, x-flip, etc.). The script dumping/insertion tools just make the tile maps a little more human-readable. Personally I found it a little cumbersome and did most of my editing in a hex editor.

Edit: My point with all that stuff about the script being tile maps is that there isn't actually anything special about the 8x16 font. It's literally just a matter of placing two tiles in the tile map instead of four. No crazy ASM or anything. What I'm doing now with the names is a different story though.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 01:33:16 pm by Reld »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2019, 05:19:26 pm »
I like the graphics you're using for victory messages and continue screens and the like, but remember that the original "graphical font" from the game is antialiased.

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2019, 05:37:45 pm »
Is there some graphic you're looking at that isnt antialiased? I think most of them are at this point.

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2019, 05:46:17 pm »
Looking at it again, I think the issue is that the color used for the antialiasing is so dark that it blends into the outline, making it seem as though there's no antialiasing at all. That might be more a problem with the original graphics than with the translated ones though.

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2019, 11:37:47 am »

I have the foundation work for six-letter names done. Editing them works perfectly on the naming screen, and they save properly. No patch yet because every other screen that displays names shows garbled nonsense at the moment, but this was the major hurdle. I'm fairly confident now that I can make it work. Just giving a little update.
You are an absolute legend; congrats on getting this far!

erpster2

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 05, 2019, 04:37:14 pm »
hopefully this goes out of beta stage and reaches final release.  :)

fyi, TheDanaAddams, someone else did had plans of making an English translation of the Kirby's Super Star Stacker SNES game a long time ago but never really followed through on it (but I'm glad you did)

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 05, 2019, 08:01:51 pm »
Only thing remaining to be done right now before it's considered 'finished' is for Reld to complete the implementation of the 6-letter names - we're really close, and hopefully we'll hear good news soon!

I'll call it a 1.0 release, though - in my experience with the film and game industries, you should never call something "Final". It's a recipe for disaster; something will always go wrong to make sure it's not "final" at all. And then you get "Final v2" and other such silliness. Better not to tempt fate with Murphy's Law. =P