News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Testers needed: Kirby's Super Star Stacker English Patch  (Read 19084 times)

VicVergil

• View Profile
Re: Testers needed: Kirby's Super Star Stacker English Patch
« Reply #100 on: July 18, 2019, 10:50:26 am »
re:まあまあ
You should probably deal with the tilemap/sprite allocation for that repeating part properly to use unique tiles for all four 16x16 tiles.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 18, 2019, 03:47:47 pm »
I think a more fitting translation for まあまあ here would be "so-so", considering the repeated tiles.

I feel like that works, since it translates correctly and is patterned after the Maa maa.
free sluffy

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2019, 12:13:57 am »
I Tested The Game And I Managed To Get 1,185 PTS In Challenge Mode... Seriously, Also, The Entire English Patch Looks More Like It Is Almost Complete, You're Doing Such A Great Job, Keep Up The Good Work!  :thumbsup:

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2019, 12:20:00 pm »
I think a more fitting translation for まあまあ here would be "so-so", considering the repeated tiles.
I feel like that works, since it translates correctly and is patterned after the Maa maa.

"So-so" kinda fits as a direct literal translation, BUT it doesn't help the repetition of sprites - at best you'd get "So- So-"; the formatting is an issue.
I also don't think "so-so" truly encapsulates the meaning of the original phrase in tone; it's also a term of consolation. It's like, "hey, it's not so bad" where "so-so" is a very cold and analytical assessment.
I feel like the friendly warmth that 'Maa maa' is meant to convey is important in something like Kirby.

re:まあまあ
You should probably deal with the tilemap/sprite allocation for that repeating part properly to use unique tiles for all four 16x16 tiles.

I think this might be what has to be done; I'll have to let Reld assess the viability, though. The 8x16 alphabet probably isn't in memory at that point in the game, so we probably can't use the simple, direct approach...

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 20, 2019, 01:34:33 pm »
I've got some good news and some bad news (don't worry, the bad news isn't really that bad).

The good news:
I had thought the Return/Quit/Not Bad/etc. text was all sprites, but it's not. They're background layer 3 tiles. This is good news because it makes rearranging things a lot easier. I haven't found those tile maps yet (I just haven't looked for them yet), but once I do I'm pretty confident I can make the text say whatever we need it to.

The bad news:
My power went out last night, and according to the power company it might not be back on until late Monday night  :-\ I think I probably lost some minor graphical work I was doing, but nothing catastrophic. I had hoped to do some more work on this over the weekend, but it's not looking good. Just a minor setback really, but annoying nonetheless.

Dana: What exactly do you want those three bits of time attack text to say? If I have that info set in stone it shouldn't take me too long to get this stuff sorted out whenever I get my electricity turned back on.

Edit: My power is back on now. I guess they were just trying to give a really conservative estimate.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 10:17:56 pm by Reld »

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2019, 10:43:02 am »
My power is back on now. I guess they were just trying to give a really conservative estimate.
Whew!
Long term blackouts are never good; hope it didn't cost you a bunch in spoiled food!

As for the Time Attack text... is it only those three?
If we consider the space available as an estimate... giving it at least one empty tile on either side... then I would say we get... say, a maximum of 10 8x16 characters for the text... considering that, I'd say...

"Hmm..."

"Not bad!"

"Way to go!"

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2019, 01:01:42 pm »
Whew!
Long term blackouts are never good; hope it didn't cost you a bunch in spoiled food!

Luckily for me I'm lazy when it comes to shopping and I didn't really have much in there to worry about spoiling.

As for the Time Attack text... is it only those three?

I'm glad you asked, because it turns out I missed one.

It comes in between "Not bad!" and "Way to go!". I'm thinking maybe "Wow!" for this one, but I'll defer to you.

Edit: Never mind. I've gone with "Wow!" due to tile constraints. If that's a bad translation I'll try to make something else work, but I'm really cramming everything in there as it is.

I ended up redoing more of the graphics than I had originally intended. For some reason I was really struggling with adding anti-aliasing like I'd mentioned I was going to do, so I just started from scratch. Sorry for asking you to whip up a "continue" graphic I didn't end up using, Dana!

I still don't know if/when the stop graphic comes up, but I edited it anyway just in case. I'm guessing it would look something like this in game:

I haven't done the matching/similar graphics for the other modes yet.

Here's a patch with these graphical changes: Link
It would be great if people could test the heck out of time attack mode to make sure I didn't miss anything or screw anything up.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 05:41:09 pm by Reld »

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 21, 2019, 05:45:47 pm »
"Wow!" seems spot-on to me!

Anyone testing this, please be on the lookout for any others here in Time Attack; especially if it happens to say "すとっぷ!" "STOP!"

Edit: Whoops! Looks like I started replying moments before you updated your post!

Those redone graphics look great! No worries about not using my version; whatever looks best is the important thing!

I think this means - barring anything we've so far missed - everything should be translated, and it's almost at the "v1.0" release stage!
Just have to copy those new pause graphics over to everything and maybe update those few buttons with the bitmap text.
I'll see if I can at least get something I hope is usable for those ready.

For everyone else, here's Kirby's Super Star Stacker Beta13!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 06:13:29 pm by TheDanaAddams »

JoshuaVW2

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2019, 10:10:58 pm »
This translation is looking really good so far! Also, could I make an LP of this on my YT channel? Sorry if I'm asking for too much.

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2019, 11:38:09 pm »
I redid the rest of the different game mode graphics to match: Patch Link

I didn't screenshot everything because it's basically just the same stuff over and over in slightly different contexts, but I believe it's all done.

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 23, 2019, 12:51:08 am »
Looks great; haven't tested it much, but what I did see looked really good.
I've been pretty unwell overall, so all I have to add on top of that right now is a super small script edit.

Kirby's Super Star Stacker Beta 14.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 23, 2019, 02:29:55 am »
I redid the rest of the different game mode graphics to match: Patch Link

I didn't screenshot everything because it's basically just the same stuff over and over in slightly different contexts, but I believe it's all done.

Everything's so gorgeous! It's amazing how officially localized this all looks. Everyone's doing such a good job!  :D
free sluffy

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #112 on: July 23, 2019, 04:48:47 am »
I'm getting impressed now. Cute and happy works well for it.

Lazermutt4

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 23, 2019, 01:33:56 pm »
Found a bug with the new 'Continue' text.
Misaligned on the Game Over screen in Round Clear and Challenge modes.

Oddly, the same doesn't happen in the other modes...

Everywhere else seemed fine.

Also, on the VS Mode setup, the Guest file still shows up as the old 'None'

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 23, 2019, 05:00:12 pm »
Is The English Translation Complete?  :)

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 23, 2019, 05:47:58 pm »

got this misaligned continue in the Round Clear mode.

I also made a new NA-style boxart for anyone playing this game on emulators/SNES Classic!  :thumbsup:

free sluffy

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2019, 12:14:03 am »
Thanks guys. I knew I probably missed something. Here's another patch with a few fixes: Link

I fixed the text on those game over screens.

I also fixed a couple of graphical issues. Somehow we accidentally blanked out the bottom corner tiles around the next set of blocks at the top of story mode and VS mode, so I put those back in. While I was doing that I noticed something that I think was an oversight by the developers. There are little Kirby heads at the top of the screen in both story mode and VS mode. In VS mode there's a line incorporated at the bottom of the Kirby head graphics that fills in the top of the window border. In story mode they accidentally left that line out creating weird little gaps. I fixed that as well.

Lastly, I recentered the menu text in story mode and VS mode because it was driving me nuts. For some reason in those two modes the developers shifted the text one tile to the right, and the little star selector sprite was shifted 9 pixels to the right instead of 8 so the spacing between the star and the text wasn't even consistent. It looked even more off-center with our longer text so I moved it all to be in line with the other game modes.

I believe all of the text is translated at this point. The only things left are little tweaks like this, and for me to finally buckle down and try to lengthen the player names.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2019, 12:47:21 am »
I believe all of the text is translated at this point. The only things left are little tweaks like this, and for me to finally buckle down and try to lengthen the player names.

HYPE  :woot!:

free sluffy

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2019, 06:35:43 am »
This translation is looking really good so far! Also, could I make an LP of this on my YT channel? Sorry if I'm asking for too much.
Sorry, missed this before; you're free to go ahead and do any LP or YT features you like on this, BUT I would advise you to wait until the full 'official' release if you want your content to be evergreen.
If you don't mind it getting outdated, go right ahead - but it would be a good idea to note in your video that it is a slightly unfinished beta.

Hopefully we've got everything now! It's up to the testers to find anything we've missed, though. If you see some new text if you hold the controller upside down, and press left 27 times at exactly 2:53am in January on a leap year, we won't know until someone encounters it! xD

Sorry it took so long to get to this; it's been more really rough health days, and I still haven't been able to even attempt updating the button sprites. But here's the updated master patch, Kirby's Super Star Stacker Beta15.

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2019, 10:59:16 am »
Something's wrong with Beta 15, as all the default high scores have reverted to Japanese and the second half of Kirby's name (カービィ) got jumbled at that!