News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Testers needed: Kirby's Super Star Stacker English Patch  (Read 21583 times)

svenge

• View Profile
Re: Testers needed: Kirby's Super Star Stacker English Patch
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2019, 08:55:26 am »
I went back through all the posted patches, and the issue with King Dedede's cannon seems to have originated with Beta #5.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 09:47:17 am by svenge »

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2019, 11:09:35 am »
It looks like the tile map for the 16x16 version of the protection screen had overwritten the beginning of that chunk of compressed graphics. I had technically already "fixed" this in the sense that I got the new 8x16 version to compress down smaller than the original, but I didn't know anything had previously been broken so I didn't repair those graphics. It'll be fixed the next time I put out a patch (probably for the revamped difficulty select screens).

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2019, 03:23:24 pm »
Wow, Beta5?
I guess we were allso preoccupied by the text we never noticed!

Which is exactly why testers are so important.
Fresh eyes; unclouded by any preconception of what "should" be.

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2019, 05:55:44 pm »
Yeah, for sure. I must have seen that broken graphic many many times and never noticed a thing.

Here's a patch to fix that, and also update the difficulty select screens: Link

I also changed the palette a little for the green and blue text. Previously it was as if the graphics had been anti aliased on top of the wrong background color and it's been bugging me for a while. It was even worse with the thinner font so I changed it.

What else still needs to be done? I feel like I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff.

SuperStarFox

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2019, 07:24:25 pm »
Excuse Me... I Heard That You Needed Some Testers!
I'm Here To Help, By Testing Out This English Patch... Is That Okay?  :thumbsup:

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2019, 09:41:11 pm »
What else still needs to be done? I feel like I'm forgetting a bunch of stuff.

I was just about to call it done, and was running through some quick tests, when...

Oops.

Completely forgot about the "RECORDS" pages when not taking a new first place!
They should be identical to the first place ones, but just say "RECORDS" instead of "NEW RECORD!"

I also noticed some little white strokes appearing; not sure what's causing that, but here's the ones I noticed.

And it seems I forgot to repair the texture on the retry and quit buttons, so I'll have to take care of that. I'm a little scared that trying to insert anything will break more stuff though, so I'll probably just pass the .bin along.
Better safe than sorry.
Edit: Here's the file, sprites are edited, just needs to be compressed and inserted as appropriate: game5_rankings_bitmaps.bin
This one file should update all of the rankings pages, as I believe they all use this same sprite set, at least for these buttons.

Also of note, the selection box for restarting your cleared Story Mode save in Novice or Pro mode is too narrow to surround the full "Novice" text.

Excuse Me... I Heard That You Needed Some Testers!
I'm Here To Help, By Testing Out This English Patch... Is That Okay?  :thumbsup:
Of course! All the testing it can get is greatly appreciated!
If you find anything that doesn't look right, or is in Japanese, report back with where and how you found it, and a screenshot if possible!

Obligatory Kirby's Super Star Stacker Beta11 link.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 09:56:47 pm by TheDanaAddams »

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2019, 05:06:34 am »
I noticed that in the "Scores" screen that when Knuckle Joe is listed as the current Story Mode level that there's an extraneous black pixel above the letter "o" in "Joe".

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2019, 01:39:03 pm »
I feel like we're getting really close to the end here, so I'm trying to get a bunch of my thoughts together.

Thanks svenge. I don't think I would have noticed that about the enemy names. There were extra pixels like that on a few other names as well. I'm not totally sure how that happened. My best guess is that I somehow made the patch with the enemy names against the wrong version of the ROM. Maybe one where I had put the names in but hadn't spaced the letters out yet. Anyway, I've fixed that now.

Dana: I got your new button graphics in, got rid of those little white strokes, and got the records pages done.

I'm not sure if I should have left the text at the top blue or not though. I noticed you changed the "NEW RECORD!" text from light brown with red exclamation points to all dark brown. I'm not sure if you had intended for "RECORDS" to be dark brown as well.

I think almost everything is translated at this point, but I did notice this bit of untranslated text in Time Attack mode:

This is probably more of a personal preference thing, but I wonder if maybe "return" (like in the above Time Attack screenshot) would make more sense as "retry"? I assume it's meant to be taken as "return [to playing]", but to me "return [to menu]" seems like the more intuitive reading. That could totally be just me though.

This line has been bugging me a little:

The text itself is good, it just bothers me how it's extending over the top and bottom borders of the window. I wonder if you would be ok with doing it like this instead:

That's a quick and dirty copy/paste mockup so there are some misplaced pixels, but you get the idea. I just think it would look better if it all fit inside the box.

I was also thinking, as a last little bit of polish, that I might try to go back and add some anti aliasing to some of the translated graphical text. That's only if you don't mind, of course.

No new patch yet. I'd like to get a little more done first. I still need to take a look at that Novice/Pro sprite box. I feel like this is all shaping up quite nicely though! I really like the script, especially after it was able to be elaborated on. I think this will be a pretty solid release. I'd still like to try to increase the length of the player names, but I'm saving that for last since I'm not totally sure I can actually do it.

EDIT: Got those sprite boxes sorted out.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 04:22:16 pm by Reld »

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2019, 08:28:01 pm »
I'm not sure if I should have left the text at the top blue or not though. I noticed you changed the "NEW RECORD!" text from light brown with red exclamation points to all dark brown. I'm not sure if you had intended for "RECORDS" to be dark brown as well.
The fact that there's difference in the colour from the original Japanese text is entirely a mistake on my part; you can absolutely go ahead and change that to the proper palletes.

I think almost everything is translated at this point, but I did notice this bit of untranslated text in Time Attack mode:

AHA!! There was some text in the Time Attack bitmaps that I couldn't figure out, since it's all a bit jumbled, and I couldn't figure out how to get it to show in game. I thought maybe it had gone unused, but now that it's found, I... think I need some more context to be sure how to translate it. (Disregard that; now that I'm a little more awake, it's obvious from the screenshot that it's just finishing with a high score.)
Seems like it's saying something like "Wahey~! [score] pieces!" to congratulate you on a good score. I'll mull it over, and see what works best.
I think the 'こ' could be very comfortably replaced with a star icon.

This is probably more of a personal preference thing, but I wonder if maybe "return" (like in the above Time Attack screenshot) would make more sense as "retry"? I assume it's meant to be taken as "return [to playing]", but to me "return [to menu]" seems like the more intuitive reading. That could totally be just me though.
This is actually something that has slightly bothered me from the moment I implemented it.
"Return" was the best compromise I could come up with for the space available. It should absolutely say "Continue" - there just weren't enough sprites available there to fit "Continue" in a clean way that looked consistent with the other text.
If you can give it an extra tile or two, though, you should be able to change it to what it really should be!

This line has been bugging me a little:

The text itself is good, it just bothers me how it's extending over the top and bottom borders of the window. I wonder if you would be ok with doing it like this instead:

That's a quick and dirty copy/paste mockup so there are some misplaced pixels, but you get the idea. I just think it would look better if it all fit inside the box.
That's been bugging me too.
I thought I'd done it that way due to a strange tile space limitation, but looking at the script... I can't figure out why I did it that way. You're absolutely right that it looks better on two lines; I'll have to change that.

I was also thinking, as a last little bit of polish, that I might try to go back and add some anti aliasing to some of the translated graphical text. That's only if you don't mind, of course.
Not at all!
I was thinking it would be great to go back and put it all into the 8x16 font, or something like it, but most of them were very tight fits as they were... not sure how viable it would be...

I'd still like to try to increase the length of the player names, but I'm saving that for last since I'm not totally sure I can actually do it.
No pressure! It'd be a cool addition, but definitely not a requirement.

I did have an idea for how to make the "Guest" player actually say "Guest" on the VS screen (and anywhere else it pops up from the string), at the very least:
Replace some of the unused 16x16 Japanese tiles with 8x16 "Gu", "es" and "t ", then make that the name. As far as the game's aware, it's not using more than 4 characters, and it'll look a bit nicer than "NONE" as the Guest player.

Got those sprite boxes sorted out.
Nice work! They look perfect!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 08:35:05 pm by TheDanaAddams »

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2019, 11:42:33 pm »
The fact that there's difference in the colour from the original Japanese text is entirely a mistake on my part; you can absolutely go ahead and change that to the proper palletes.

Ah ok. I'll change that then.

AHA!! There was some text in the Time Attack bitmaps that I couldn't figure out, since it's all a bit jumbled, and I couldn't figure out how to get it to show in game.

It happens when you play as a guest (and possibly when you play as a named player but don't place on the high score list? I'm cheating most of the time, and the default high scores are fairly low so that hasn't come up). There are at least two other versions as well:

The version you get seems to depend on how high your score is.

There's also a graphic in there that I think says "STOP!" in hiragana, but I don't know how to get it to come up in game. Unless I've just been missing it because I'm not paying enough attention. It would make sense if it came up when time runs out, but I don't remember seeing it.

This is actually something that has slightly bothered me from the moment I implemented it.
"Return" was the best compromise I could come up with for the space available. It should absolutely say "Continue" - there just weren't enough sprites available there to fit "Continue" in a clean way that looked consistent with the other text.
If you can give it an extra tile or two, though, you should be able to change it to what it really should be!

I'll look into it. If these sprites are constructed the same way as those boxes I modified earlier it might not be too difficult to add a tile or two.

That's been bugging me too.
I thought I'd done it that way due to a strange tile space limitation, but looking at the script... I can't figure out why I did it that way. You're absolutely right that it looks better on two lines; I'll have to change that.

Yeah I know some of the story pages are 24 tiles wide and some are 32. I initially figured this was one of the smaller ones and that's why it ended up on three lines. If that had been the case I think I could have worked around it, but I believe this is one of the wider ones.

I did have an idea for how to make the "Guest" player actually say "Guest" on the VS screen (and anywhere else it pops up from the string), at the very least:
Replace some of the unused 16x16 Japanese tiles with 8x16 "Gu", "es" and "t ", then make that the name. As far as the game's aware, it's not using more than 4 characters, and it'll look a bit nicer than "NONE" as the Guest player.

That would work. If I'm forced to admit defeat when I get to the name expansion remind me and I'll make it happen.

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2019, 10:00:08 am »
There are at least two other versions as well:

The version you get seems to depend on how high your score is.

There's also a graphic in there that I think says "STOP!" in hiragana, but I don't know how to get it to come up in game. Unless I've just been missing it because I'm not paying enough attention. It would make sense if it came up when time runs out, but I don't remember seeing it.
I definitely remember seeing the "stop" text, which is why I thought it might just be unused... BUT it DOES also give you a message saying "Give up!" when you get a massive score (by, for example, cheating, hehe) in Challenge mode, so the same could be true here...
Which means... any testers, this would be a great place to focus your efforts!

Yeah I know some of the story pages are 24 tiles wide and some are 32. I initially figured this was one of the smaller ones and that's why it ended up on three lines. If that had been the case I think I could have worked around it, but I believe this is one of the wider ones.
Yeah, this was definitely wider. I've fixed the script file, and I'll update it with the next patch.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2019, 03:59:22 pm »
Quote from:  TheDanaAdams

How about:
  • Retry
  • Reset
  • Start
free sluffy

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2019, 08:49:55 pm »
None of those really work - it's awkward, but it uses the same prompts for the pause screen as it does for the game over screen. So 'Continue' returns to the game from the pause screen, it starts another 2p VS match, or time attack game...

Really "Continue" is the only thing that makes perfect sense in all contexts.

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 16, 2019, 09:20:55 pm »
Sorry for the delay on this. Here's a new patch: Link
This one goes right on top of Beta 11. It contains the enemy name fix, changes to the Records/New Record screens, and the resized sprite boxes.

Dana: do you think you could work up a png or gif or something of a "Continue" graphic that matches the style of the current "Return"? That would be helpful when I try to rearrange the sprites to make it fit.

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 16, 2019, 09:49:48 pm »
Dana: do you think you could work up a png or gif or something of a "Continue" graphic that matches the style of the current "Return"? That would be helpful when I try to rearrange the sprites to make it fit.
Absolutely; I have health issues and today is a bad day, but I'll get on it ASAP!

Here's Kirby's Super Star Stacker Beta12. It incorporates Reld's latest updates with the script layout change.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2019, 01:11:30 am »
None of those really work - it's awkward, but it uses the same prompts for the pause screen as it does for the game over screen. So 'Continue' returns to the game from the pause screen, it starts another 2p VS match, or time attack game...

Really "Continue" is the only thing that makes perfect sense in all contexts.

How about just an abbreviated version? Like Cont. ??
free sluffy

reyvgm

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2019, 09:20:30 am »
This looks pretty great.

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 18, 2019, 03:32:08 am »
How about just an abbreviated version? Like Cont. ??
Using abbvreviations is a last resort. It just never looks very good, and always stands out as a sort of embodiment of "oops, ran out of space" to my eye. With the half width font, we were able to eliminate the use of abbreviations entirely, so to add one now would really break the style.

I've managed to whip up the sprites for 'continue' - it spills over and requires 2 more tiles to fit, which isn't too bad, and shouldn't mess up the menu itself or anything.

This is the 'Game 1 Bitmaps' - all 5 'Game X Bitmaps' files have a version of largely the same sprites, give or take whatever is needed for the game. I used Game 1 as that has plenty of space to overflow into, while others are a bit more messy and full of extra sprites.

I've been thinking about the Time Attack text, and it poses more of a problem than initially thought...

Besides being a bit jumbled up, and difficult to translate... it also has the problem of reusing tiles multiple times.

This, for example. "Maa maa". It's 8 tiles in the source sprites, repeated twice.
Roughly translates to "not too bad" or "passable"... which is neither going to fit in the space of two 16x16 characters, or display correctly, since it will double anything in there.
It's also not unlikely that the same tiles are shared between multiple game over score evaluation phrases... so this is tricky.

They're obviously not crucial, so worst case, we could just blank them out and not lose anything important... but what do you folks think?

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #98 on: July 18, 2019, 07:40:36 am »
16x16 is much too big for English characters there. The words need to fit into the box comfortably.

Lazermutt4

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 18, 2019, 08:29:07 am »
I think a more fitting translation for まあまあ here would be "so-so", considering the repeated tiles.