News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Testers needed: Kirby's Super Star Stacker English Patch  (Read 19387 times)

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
Testers needed: Kirby's Super Star Stacker English Patch
« on: June 20, 2019, 03:19:44 am »
Looking for some help testing this translation patch.
It should be almost all done; full story mode translation and everything.

Most of what's left now is sprite editing, which I'm starting on.

Basically, I just need people to test it out, and make sure everything works and looks okay; no weird overlapping or misalignment, that sort of thing.

Required ROM:
No-Intro Name: Kirby no Kirakira Kids (Japan)
(No-Intro version  20130701-030720)
ROM/File SHA-1: DC252753D4964516419CA981D59A8E704BA41842

Can't seem to attach files directly, so here's a Gdrive link:
Kirby's Super Star Stacker v1.0

(Edit: Updated link to latest version)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 03:30:02 pm by TheDanaAddams »

svenge

• View Profile
Re: Testers needed: Kirby's Super Star Stacker English Patch
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 10:43:39 am »
Wow, I didn't expect to see this!  This is something I'd wanted for a long time.  :thumbsup:

One thing I noticed upon a cursory playthrough is that the flashing box surrounding the "Continue / Restart" text when re-entering Story Mode only extends out for 5 characters (i.e. "nue" and "rt" aren't inside the box when its option is selected).

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
Re: Testers needed: Kirby\'s Super Star Stacker English Patch
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2019, 11:14:54 am »
Ah, thank you! I didn't know that!
I don't know if I can extend the box without ASM hacking, which is far beyond my ability, but it's good to know.

I'd been waiting for this one, myself; figured I'd give it a shot - even if it won't be as good as one of the big translation groups, it's gotta be better than nothing!

June 22, 2019, 05:39:21 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
New version of the patch; lots more done, and a lot easier to play in English now.

Most of the remaining stuff is menu text that doesn't play nice - some sort of compression, maybe - and I've no clue how to fix that.
There is some Japanese text with the Time Attack sprites that I can't quite figure out - if anyone finds that, it'd be very helpful to screencap/document how to get it to show up.

I think, at the very least, it's now in a state where you should be able to play it very comfortably, and not have any navigation issues, without knowing any Japanese.
Kirby's Super Star Stacker Beta2
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 05:39:21 pm by TheDanaAddams »

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 12:59:09 am »
I can't wait to test this out! I only have a SNES Mini, so testing it won't be sure it's 100% compatible with real hardware, but hopefully I'll be able to point out any bugs. I made some quick boxart for it, too :)

Edit: just started playing it a little bit, and it boots fine on the SNES Mini without using Retroarch. Haven't run into any bugs yet, but definitely appreciate the work put in so far! What kind of font are you planning on using for the smaller text stuff? There's the menu where you can input a name for saving, but it uses pretty small text there
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 02:52:56 am by Dzumeister »
free sluffy

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 02:13:47 pm »
Hey, that's fine! Any testing helps! In fact, testing it like that is awesome, since I've kept my SNES Mini stock and wouldn't be able to know if it worked on them otherwise!
Awesome! ^^

Cute cover! I've mocked up a replacement title screen, as a target to aim for, but I haven't yet found the tiles for that.
(Anyone identified the compression format and the title screen address for Lunar Compress? If it's supported. That would help a heap!)
While I'm making a new post, here's the most current build - Kirby's Super Star Stacker Beta3.
Not a big change from the previous - just some little tweaks, like the alignment of character names for Player 2 in VS mode, but hey; an improvement is an improvement.

niuus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 03:24:50 pm »
Hey, that's fine! Any testing helps! In fact, testing it like that is awesome, since I've kept my SNES Mini stock and wouldn't be able to know if it worked on them otherwise!
Awesome! ^^

Cute cover! I've mocked up a replacement title screen, as a target to aim for, but I haven't yet found the tiles for that.
(Anyone identified the compression format and the title screen address for Lunar Compress? If it's supported. That would help a heap!)
While I'm making a new post, here's the most current build - Kirby's Super Star Stacker Beta3.
Not a big change from the previous - just some little tweaks, like the alignment of character names for Player 2 in VS mode, but hey; an improvement is an improvement.
Beautiful! Thanks for your work on this!

phonymike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 02:02:18 pm »
Hey TheDanaAddams this translation looks really cool. I like doing title screens so I was messing around and came up with a preview like this

I like your title screen better, it has more charm.

Luckily there's a program that compresses/decompresses HAL games called exhal. Using Geiger's Snes9X and vSNES I figured out some graphics and map data. Didn't see any palettes but those are easy with SNESpal since they don't look compressed. It looks like most tiles are used on the blimp screen, then the map changes a bit and uses the faux shadow tiles for the logo on the stars screen.

Here's the compressed data I found from the beginning of the game up to the title screen. The first address is the snes mem address, the second is the pc file address you can use in exhal. Use Lunar Address set for LoROM 80:8000 (because this game is fastrom) to convert snes memory locations to pc file addresses.

Code: [Select]
$80/89DF decompression routine?

$91:F400 0x08F400 graphics: Nintendo/Halken
$BB:D011 0x1DD011 map data: BG1 (Nintendo)
$BB:A2A4 0x1DA2A4 map data: BG1 (Halken)

*blimp titlescreen*
$98:CC00 0x0C4C00 graphics: title screen logo and blimp (pointer at $88:80D1 0x0400D1)
$9B:8000 0x0D8000 graphics: background hills
$9F:CF3D 0x0FCF3D graphics: sprites small Kirby, blimp, clouds
$B5:D50B 0x1AD50B map data: BG1 64x32 (logo with blimp background)
$B1:8000 0x188000 map data: BG2 32x32 (pink and green hills)

*stars title screen*
$B8:9458 0x1C1458 graphics: stars background
$B4:CFC6 0x1A4FC6 map data: BG2 32x32 (stars background)

If you are able to compress the new logo tiles and they don't fit, you should be able to append the compressed data to the end of the rom, and change the pointer at 0x0400D1 to point to the new location (pointers are byte swapped so $98CC00 shows as 00 CC 98). The end of the rom would be 0x200000 in a hex editor, or $C0:8000 as a snes location. So the new pointer would be 00 80 C0

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 02:07:24 pm »
Oh, BRILLIANT! That's a huge help! Thank you very much!

Edit:
Hm... I test-edited the blimp logo sprites, and nothing is edited on the star screen logo. (Did get it displaying on the blimp though!) It's also slightly different in proportion; I couldn't get the star background graphics to extract, so I'm not sure if the address is correct, there... think I could trouble you to do a little more digging and find the main title screen logo address? I'm not well versed in this stuff.

Edit 2: Here's a quick look at some progress on the blimp; have to take a break for physical health reasons, but I just wanted to reassure folks it's coming along.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 09:27:21 pm by TheDanaAddams »

phonymike

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 12:38:51 am »
Okay I knew there was something going on when I saw two logos in VRAM. I had one of the compressed data locations wrong, here's the update

*stars title screen*
$B8:9458 0x1C1458 map data: BG1 title screen logo

*uncompressed*
$9B:C0A9 0x0DC0A9 graphics: stars background
$9E:AB47 0x0F2B47 graphics: title screen logo (stars background) (336 tiles?)

So yeah the tiles are sitting there uncompressed in ROM. But you see there are two separate logos, each slightly different if you look side by side. So if you want to make another awesome title screen just slightly different, you can put it in the game. I would recommend just reusing the same tiles because nobody's going to know  ;D

So a few things to note. Even though we can shove lots of new stuff into expanded ROM space, the programmers packed the RAM quite well, which would require more deep ASM mods to overcome. So there's enough room for 348 unique logo tiles on the blimp screen (not counting the blimp tiles, just for the logo). Since we have the map data it's actually pretty easy to put tiles anywhere you want on screen. You could even use the blimp tiles for the logo, but you'd have to get creative to have the blimp show up with missing tiles. So make sure there's no more than 348 tiles on the blimp logo.

On the stars background I counted 336 unique logo tiles (including the TM) but I could be wrong. Just make sure to not use more tiles than the original because they won't fit into VRAM without more creative mods.

Also you see the logo uses 3 palettes total. Each tile can be told to use a different palette in the map data. Map data is 2 bytes per tile. Lower 10 bits are the tile number, next two bits is palette etc like this: yxPppptt tttttttt vSNES can really help show you all the data in a savestate on either title screen.

from fullsnes:
Each BG Map Entry consists of a 16bit value as such:

Bit 0-9   - Character Number (000h-3FFh)
  Bit 10-12 - Palette Number   (0-7)
  Bit 13    - BG Priority      (0=Lower, 1=Higher)
  Bit 14    - X-Flip           (0=Normal, 1=Mirror horizontally)
  Bit 15    - Y-Flip           (0=Normal, 1=Mirror vertically)

There are many talented romhackers around here, maybe someone else has some good ideas to help too?

Keep up the great work!

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2019, 07:26:28 am »
User Reld has gone and done an absolutely perfect job translating my target mockup into a real title screen!

Just look at that! It's like mine, but with clean anti-aliasing! It also remains faithful to the colour banding of the Japanese logo; something I tried to do, but wasn't confident in recreating with my basic Tile Molester editing approach.

This is really coming along spectacularly, and I couldn't have done it without the help of the community here; thank you all so much!

So, let's build a checklist/roadmap of what remains to be done!
Text Translation:
  • Difficulty: Challenge Mode
  • Rankings: Challenge Mode
  • Difficulty: Round Clear
  • Rankings: Story Mode
  • Handicap/Setup: VS Mode
  • Difficulty: Time Attack
  • Rankings: Time Attack
  • Name entry
  • Name Select
  • Incorrect Input Device Protection Screen
  • Scores: Player
  • Scores: Mode 1
  • Scores: Mode 2
  • Scores: Mode 3
  • Scores: Mode 4
  • Scores: Mode 5
Advanced Hacking:
  • "Guest" Player Name
  • Option Selection Box Width (Story Mode Continue/Restart screen; possibly others)

The issue I'm having with all the remaining text translation is that the insertion tool isn't working for those parts - and when hunting down the tiles manually to hex edit, changing one value caused unusual behaviour and in some cases messed with multiple tiles, so I think there's some compression going on.
If anyone can figure out how to make the text insertion tool work for those pages that need translating, that's really the only hold-up with those parts.
I'm working with the Starter Pack from Abandoned Projects by Guest - if anyone can figure out the problem with re-inserting those parts I listed, that'd be fantastic!

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 11:21:12 am »
I'm glad you like the title graphic! I don't think I was very clear about this in the PM I sent you, but I hadn't actually done any work on inserting it into the ROM. However, since you've approved of the graphics I figured I might as well work on getting them in the game. This is where I'm at so far:

I haven't done anything at all with the tile map yet, which is why some tiles are missing and a bunch of them have blatantly wrong palettes, but I don't think that's going to be much of an issue. With some more work I think I can get this looking pretty good.

I will need to find and edit the Kirby waving sprite graphics. They basically have a hole drawn in them to let the letters show through, so I'll need to change the shape of that. If phonymike has any insight on where those are that'd be cool. If not I can look for them myself once I've got these graphics working properly.

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 11:37:17 am »
Ah, my apologies; I thought you had already gone and inserted everything. It looks brilliant, though; far better than my original work!
I stuck to colours used in the original title screen in my mockup, hoping there'd be no palette issues, but it seems some tiles must use slightly different palettes.

If you don't mind my asking, what tools are you using?
I've been working with Tile Molester, screencapping the TM decode, doing edit work in Clip Studio, then recreating it by comparing pixel by pixel back in TM and just hoping I chose the right colours so the palette plays nice. ^^;

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2019, 12:44:36 pm »
Ah, my apologies; I thought you had already gone and inserted everything.

No worries. I don't think I was very clear about what I had actually done.

It looks brilliant, though; far better than my original work!

I really liked the layout/design you had going. That's what inspired me to take a crack at it.

I stuck to colours used in the original title screen in my mockup, hoping there'd be no palette issues, but it seems some tiles must use slightly different palettes.

I was aware that there were multiple palettes being used, and I tried to keep that in mind while drawing, but it turns out I made a bunch of mistakes in terms of which colors belonged to which palettes. I was just drawing directly over a screenshot from ZSNES and eye-droppering the colors from there, so I was being a little sloppy. Once I get the tile map sorted out I think I'm going to give the graphics another look to see if I can compensate for some of those mistakes.

If you don't mind my asking, what tools are you using?
I've been working with Tile Molester, screencapping the TM decode, doing edit work in Clip Studio, then recreating it by comparing pixel by pixel back in TM and just hoping I chose the right colours so the palette plays nice. ^^;

I use TileMolester for ripping/inserting the graphics, but I don't actually do much editing in there directly. I'll find the graphics in the ROM, load the palette(s) from a ZSNES savestate, then I select the tiles I want to edit and go to Edit > Copy To... which exports the selected tiles with the current palette to a PNG file. I take that into my graphics editor (I use GraphicsGale for all my pixel art stuff, but you can use whatever) and start copying tiles from my mockup into the PNG I exported. I try to only copy the tiles that use the palette I had selected in TileMolester. Then I save the PNG, go back to TileMolester, and select Edit > Paste From... which lets me import the edited PNG. If the colors in the PNG are slightly off TileMolester will change them to whatever the closest color in the current palette is, which is kind of nice (although it can also cause headaches sometimes, like if the color reserved for transparency happens to match or be very similar to one of the visible colors). I save my changes and test the ROM, then I do the whole thing over again for the other palettes. Export, edit, import, save, test. It's kind of tedious, but it's the best workflow I've personally found.

phonymike

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 03:06:39 pm »
Excellent title screens, I like them both. I see the game copies the uncompressed kirby sprites below from 0x0E5F11

Is that a crown that goes on his head? Are these tiles used elsewhere in the game it has his whole body.

pemdawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2019, 04:40:28 pm »
User Reld has gone and done an absolutely perfect job translating my target mockup into a real title screen!

Just look at that! It's like mine, but with clean anti-aliasing! It also remains faithful to the colour banding of the Japanese logo; something I tried to do, but wasn't confident in recreating with my basic Tile Molester editing approach.

This is really coming along spectacularly, and I couldn't have done it without the help of the community here; thank you all so much!

So, let's build a checklist/roadmap of what remains to be done!
Text Translation:
  • Difficulty: Challenge Mode
  • Rankings: Challenge Mode
  • Difficulty: Round Clear
  • Rankings: Story Mode
  • Handicap/Setup: VS Mode
  • Difficulty: Time Attack
  • Rankings: Time Attack
  • Name entry
  • Name Select
  • Incorrect Input Device Protection Screen
  • Scores: Player
  • Scores: Mode 1
  • Scores: Mode 2
  • Scores: Mode 3
  • Scores: Mode 4
  • Scores: Mode 5
Advanced Hacking:
  • "Guest" Player Name
  • Option Selection Box Width (Story Mode Continue/Restart screen; possibly others)

The issue I'm having with all the remaining text translation is that the insertion tool isn't working for those parts - and when hunting down the tiles manually to hex edit, changing one value caused unusual behaviour and in some cases messed with multiple tiles, so I think there's some compression going on.
If anyone can figure out how to make the text insertion tool work for those pages that need translating, that's really the only hold-up with those parts.
I'm working with the Starter Pack from Abandoned Projects by Guest - if anyone can figure out the problem with re-inserting those parts I listed, that'd be fantastic!

This looks incredible!! Beautiful job on the design, and great work Reld on making it work in-game! Sakurai and Iwata would be pleased!

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2019, 05:55:06 pm »
Thanks pemdawg. Unfortunately I'm having a heck of a time with the tile map part.

Getting it decompressed, edited, recompressed, and reinserted was easy. The problem is that it only loads properly in-game sometimes. This is what it looks like in three different emulators the first time it comes up (after the blimp flies by):

I think it's a timing issue/some kind of interrupt routine is breaking things. I think that would explain why the corruption varies from emulator to emulator. It seems strange to me, but somehow I think the game decompressing the original tile map took up just the right number of cycles or something.

Oddly enough, if you wait on the title screen for the little demo tutorial thing to start, and then back up to the title screen again, the corruption doesn't happen and the screen looks like this (I had the sprite layer turned off when I took this shot because I haven't edited that sprite yet):

So the tile map works fine. The problem is something to do with how the game loads it the first time. I haven't been having a lot of luck trying to figure it out with a debugger yet, but I'll keep poking at it.

phonymike: Thanks for pointing me in the direction of those sprite graphics!

phonymike

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2019, 11:05:41 pm »
A few things to note on the title screen corruption. I don't know about you, but the stock rom title screen shows up corrupt every time for me in Geiger. It shows fine in zsnes and bsnes for me. So I test stuff in Geiger, zsnes (yeah I use zsnes come at me bro lol), and bsnes is the final test for me. I've had title screens show up bad in Geiger or zsnes, but if it's good in bsnes then I say good enough, but also I'd like it to work on snes classic.

Have you tried recompressing the original map data with inhal and seeing if it's identical to original? Maybe a bug in inhal. I have seen a timing issue before where I added a short delay before decompressing the data, if it's writing to VRAM while the screen is being drawn nothing gets uploaded, as you see the map works after a certain amount. I can add a small ASM hack to try to fix that.

Lastly I wonder if it's uninitialized data, and after the demo plays the game initializes it properly (I doubt it because you see it starts off bad then sets itself right).

I'll try to make a patch, probably tomorrow to wait for vsync before sending to VRAM.

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2019, 11:18:40 pm »
Here's an IPS patch of where I'm at so far if you want to take a look: Link

I made it to be applied over the last (beta 3) version of Dana's hack, although I imagine it would work on an unmodified ROM as well. The only things I've modified are the title graphics and tile map.

Edit: I thought about the possibility of a bug in inhal, but I think if that was it it wouldn't display properly the second time around either, since it would be using the same bugged tile map.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 11:27:10 pm by Reld »

phonymike

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2019, 11:45:16 pm »
Ah good thinking on inhal not being bugged if it works second time around.

Looking at the original game right now (I really should go to bed) it looks like the timing is perfect, but I see Geiger decompressing the wrong data into work RAM, then correctly uploading that bad data into VRAM. I'm thinking the easiest way to do it is just have the game copy the uncompressed map directly from ROM and into VRAM. It's hard to debug it because Geiger isn't emulating it properly to begin with.

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2019, 12:11:30 am »
Geiger's SNES9X always seems glitchy to me, so I mostly use BSNES Plus for debugging now. I still use Geiger's as a third emu option for testing like I did above, and it has a few features that bring me back to it occasionally (displaying the hex bytes for disassembled instructions, and binding "step" to a key that I can hold down to step through a bunch of stuff quickly). I hadn't even tried the unmodified ROM in it. You're right. The title graphics are all garbled.