I'm not sure if I should have left the text at the top blue or not though. I noticed you changed the "NEW RECORD!" text from light brown with red exclamation points to all dark brown. I'm not sure if you had intended for "RECORDS" to be dark brown as well.
The fact that there's difference in the colour from the original Japanese text is entirely a mistake on my part; you can absolutely go ahead and change that to the proper palletes.
I think almost everything is translated at this point, but I did notice this bit of untranslated text in Time Attack mode:
AHA!! There was some text in the Time Attack bitmaps that I couldn't figure out, since it's all a bit jumbled, and I couldn't figure out how to get it to show in game. I thought maybe it had gone unused,
but now that it's found, I... think I need some more context to be sure how to translate it.
(Disregard that; now that I'm a little more awake, it's obvious from the screenshot that it's just finishing with a high score.)
Seems like it's saying something like "Wahey~! [score] pieces!" to congratulate you on a good score. I'll mull it over, and see what works best.
I think the 'こ' could be very comfortably replaced with a star icon.
This is probably more of a personal preference thing, but I wonder if maybe "return" (like in the above Time Attack screenshot) would make more sense as "retry"? I assume it's meant to be taken as "return [to playing]", but to me "return [to menu]" seems like the more intuitive reading. That could totally be just me though.
This is actually something that has slightly bothered me from the moment I implemented it.
"Return" was the best compromise I could come up with for the space available. It should
absolutely say "Continue" - there just weren't enough sprites available there to fit "Continue" in a clean way that looked consistent with the other text.
If you can give it an extra tile or two, though, you should be able to change it to what it really should be!
This line has been bugging me a little:
The text itself is good, it just bothers me how it's extending over the top and bottom borders of the window. I wonder if you would be ok with doing it like this instead:
That's a quick and dirty copy/paste mockup so there are some misplaced pixels, but you get the idea. I just think it would look better if it all fit inside the box.
That's been bugging me too.
I thought I'd done it that way due to a strange tile space limitation, but looking at the script... I can't figure out why I did it that way. You're absolutely right that it looks better on two lines; I'll have to change that.
I was also thinking, as a last little bit of polish, that I might try to go back and add some anti aliasing to some of the translated graphical text. That's only if you don't mind, of course.
Not at all!
I was thinking it would be great to go back and put it all into the 8x16 font, or something like it, but most of them were very tight fits as they were... not sure how viable it would be...
I'd still like to try to increase the length of the player names, but I'm saving that for last since I'm not totally sure I can actually do it.
No pressure! It'd be a cool addition, but definitely not a requirement.
I did have an idea for how to make the "Guest" player actually say "Guest" on the VS screen (and anywhere else it pops up from the string), at the very least:
Replace some of the unused 16x16 Japanese tiles with 8x16 "Gu", "es" and "t ", then make that the name. As far as the game's aware, it's not using more than 4 characters, and it'll look a bit nicer than "NONE" as the Guest player.
Got those sprite boxes sorted out.
Nice work! They look perfect!