News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Testers needed: Kirby's Super Star Stacker English Patch  (Read 19242 times)

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
Re: Testers needed: Kirby's Super Star Stacker English Patch
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2019, 07:41:00 am »
Is there a mock up of the difficulty select with the smaller text?

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2019, 09:37:19 am »
I haven't gotten to that yet, but I intend to.

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2019, 02:09:32 am »
Okay~ here's a new version, which should have all the changes made so far, and a revised script.
Kirby's Super Star Stacker Beta7

There are a couple issues - the 8x16 font appears to lack both a tilde (~) and ellipsis (...) so I have temporarily replaced them in the beta7 upload (with a star and underscore, respectively) to mitigate the issues that arise with those; if you could add those to the 8x16 font, it would be very helpful.

I've uploaded the 16x16 Script with the original tildes and ellipses here.

I've also had issues reinserting one of the compressed files - seems to be too big, for some reason. Not sure why.
It's not exactly crucial, but for completeness' sake, this is much better than the 16x16 version. You'll see the screen if your emulator is set to use a SNES Mouse or other peripherals.
Uploaded the uncompressed .txt here.

Most of the other text alterations I tried to make worked, except for the "%CLR" part of the Round Clear stats page - wanted to change that to use 8x16 "clear" instead, but I guess some changes threw off that part of the inserter?

Finally, I happened upon some untranslated text when trying to delete a name.

As you can probably guess, it's just "A-Delete B-Cancel".

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2019, 02:33:12 am »
I just gave the new patch a quick run through story mode (quick because I was cheating) and I have to say you've done a great job!

Unfortunately I'm probably going to be a little slower with stuff than I have been lately. I was on a five day vacation and now I'm back to work  :-\ I'm still working on stuff though. Tonight I did some research into the naming screen, trying to figure out how to make it default to english and disable the other character sets.

I can definitely get you set up with the missing characters you need tomorrow night (gotta go to bed in a minute here).

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2019, 08:33:12 pm »
Hey, no worries; it'll be done when it's done!
There's a couple little things I can improve that I intend to work on, but I think I'm going to take the day off and play some games with my partner, first. <3

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2019, 08:38:44 pm »
Amazing to see this game finally get a translation for its superior version.

That font (or fonts at this point) really could use some adjustment, like for example:

- Adding some pixels in the middle part of m/w to make it clearer
- Shrink the upper part of R/Y, so that the bottom vertical strokes stand out better

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2019, 10:19:44 pm »
Here's another RAR file with an IPS patch and table files: Link

I got the elipses and tilde in there, but I had to make the elipses 16x16. There's just no way to squeeze all three dots into one 8 pixel wide character without it looking weird. The new elipses works just like the original 16x16 elipses, only it's 5 through 7 instead of 1 through 4. The tilde is 8x16 and works just like the other 8x16 characters.

I replaced the underscores in the story mode intro, but I stopped after that. I think there might be some formatting issues since I think you were expecting an 8 pixel wide elipses, and I'd rather let you decide how to handle that. At least it's better than having to use three separate periods.

I did notice that you ended up with at least a couple blank pages. I'll look into how to skip them. Is there anywhere you could really use an extra page? Once I figure out how to skip them there's a good chance I'll also be able to repurpose the blank pages elsewhere. Of course if it's not needed that's fine too.

I replaced the round clear "CLR" with 8x16 "CLEAR", and got that delete/cancel text sorted out.

I also fixed the problem with VS mode that I mentioned. It shouldn't break again.

I've also had issues reinserting one of the compressed files - seems to be too big, for some reason. Not sure why.
It's not exactly crucial, but for completeness' sake, this is much better than the 16x16 version. You'll see the screen if your emulator is set to use a SNES Mouse or other peripherals.
Uploaded the uncompressed .txt here.

I can probably get this working, but I think you uploaded the wrong text file? It looks like it's the 16x16 version, which is already inserted and working.

Still working on the English-only naming screen. I've made some progress on it, but none of those edits are included in the patch.

Just for fun here's a photo of the game running on an actual SNES:

phonymike

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2019, 10:25:49 pm »
Just wanted to pop in and say that it's amazing how much you all were able to get done over the past few days!  :cookie:

Yeah TheDanaAddams and Reld have put together an excellent translation. Great work!

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 10, 2019, 12:42:32 am »
I replaced the underscores in the story mode intro, but I stopped after that. I think there might be some formatting issues since I think you were expecting an 8 pixel wide elipses, and I'd rather let you decide how to handle that. At least it's better than having to use three separate periods.
There will probably be formatting issues, so I'll go through the script and adjust accordingly.

I did notice that you ended up with at least a couple blank pages. I'll look into how to skip them. Is there anywhere you could really use an extra page? Once I figure out how to skip them there's a good chance I'll also be able to repurpose the blank pages elsewhere. Of course if it's not needed that's fine too.
Luckily, no; I can't really think of anywhere that could benefit from an extra page of text, now that the 8x16 font is implemented. It's not particularly sophisticated storytelling, which is why I was able to tackle translating it to begin with. xD

I think you uploaded the wrong text file? It looks like it's the 16x16 version, which is already inserted and working.
Oh, sorry about the confusion - it actually is the correct file, but I never updated the commented-out reference text area.
The formatted text in that file is the updated 8x16 version, though.

Still working on the English-only naming screen. I've made some progress on it, but none of those edits are included in the patch.
Good luck! It'll be a really nice touch in making it look like an official release would have!

Just for fun here's a photo of the game running on an actual SNES:

Very cool to see this, hehehe. I've just recently finished installing a Super CIC UIGR board into my own system, and have an RGB SCART Trinitron CRT setup - real hardware is just the best way to experience this stuff!

Yeah TheDanaAddams and Reld have put together an excellent translation. Great work!
I think Reld deserves at least twice as much credit as me! It was a pretty limited amateur effort before they really took it to another level! I absolutely would not have been ableto get it to this point myself, and I'm incredibly thankful for all the work Reld has done/is doing!

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2019, 01:02:52 am »
Oh, sorry about the confusion - it actually is the correct file, but I never updated the commented-out reference text area.
The formatted text in that file is the updated 8x16 version, though.

Oh I see now. That was totally my mistake actually. I was looking at it in a text editor on my phone. Not much fits on screen at once, so I just scrolled down until I saw some 16x16 letters and figured it was the wrong file, but it looks like that was just the "NOTE" heading. I should have kept scrolling! Sorry. I should be able to get that in tomorrow.

Masaru

• i want to know diasm and c++
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2019, 04:34:27 pm »
There's a bit of untranslated text when you win gryll on the story mode
https://imgur.com/a/5ElRlMd
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 04:41:40 pm by Masaru »

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2019, 06:28:05 pm »
There's a bit of untranslated text when you win gryll on the story mode
https://imgur.com/a/5ElRlMd
This one has actually been reported before; I thought I made a mistake in the script file, but I guess it was missed by the extraction.

It says "Next time, give Pro mode a try."

Presumably this is only shown if you're on your first clear, or chose the Novice mode when prompted.

Edit: Script updated and formatted for the ellipses; should be all good, and everything looked good with a quick test.
I also went back and updated some sprites to restore the texture present on the SCORES title bar and buttons. The blank boxes were bothering me.
Let me know if you find anything else like that which I've missed.
Before:

After:

Without further ado, here's Kirby's Super Star Stacker Beta8!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 10:12:43 pm by TheDanaAddams »

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 11, 2019, 12:18:42 am »
Here's another patch from me: Link
This one contains the new "protection" screen and changes the naming screen to default to English and disable the Japanese.

You should be able to apply this patch on top of the Beta 8 build, but I wasn't able to test that because the Beta 8 patch isn't working for me. When I apply it to the unmodified ROM I get garbled nonsense like this:

Is anyone else having this problem or am I just having a real idiot moment? The new scores page graphics are working. If you did those after the story text that could be what broke it maybe?

I'll try to track down the address for that untranslated text tomorrow so it can be dumped and translated.

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 11, 2019, 12:54:04 am »
Hmm... I've had the text garbled like that when I made changes to other files, but it was fixed by reinserting the text.
If that's what you're getting from a clean ROM, though... strange...

Our internet has been a little iffy, so maybe it's a bad upload.
I've incorporated your latest patch, and it seems to work fine, and the text looks good on my end, so here's a new patch. Hopefully this one won't have any issues - my partner tested it on her machine, and it worked perfectly with no garbled story text on a clean ROM, so it should be fine:
Kirby's Super Star Stacker Beta9.

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 11, 2019, 12:59:19 am »
That one worked!

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2019, 08:41:04 am »
I am very, very impressed with how Beta 9 looks.  Gonna put it on my SNES Classic and play it for a while.

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2019, 11:41:00 pm »
Here's another minor patch: Link

I found the event code and a jump command so I was able to skip the two blank pages in the story mode intro. I skimmed through the script and I think those were the only two that needed skipping. Let me know if I missed any.

I fixed a background tile on the naming screen that I had messed up (there was a tiny red line that shouldn't have been there).

I also replaced that untranslated Gryll story text about Pro mode with English text. If you want to change it at all you can add it to the script dumper by adding this line to file/dump_strings_16x16.txt under "; story - stage bonus" between ba8480 and ba8600:

Code: [Select]
ba8780 32 6
There was also a half-elipses somewhere that I turned into a full one. I think it was in the Lovely intro when the star says "I need it back..."

I was thinking about the difficulty select screens since I need to redo them. Should the green text still just say "difficulty", or is there something else it should say since we can fit more characters in there now?

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2019, 02:08:12 am »
Looks great to me!
Looking back through the script, I can't see any other instances where I ended up with another page. It's a really nice touch that really elevates the "official" feel, much like the name entry being locked to English only; really nice work!

Sorry about the incomplete ellipsis; if anyone spots anything else like that, please do report it!

I was thinking about the difficulty select screens since I need to redo them. Should the green text still just say "difficulty", or is there something else it should say since we can fit more characters in there now?

Yeah, I've been mulling that over myself, actually.
The original Japanese says something to the effect of "Which do you like?"
Japanese makes a lot of assumptions that a subject should be obvious, so presumably it's supposed to functionally read as "Which difficulty level do you like?"

Given that we have a max of 20 8x16 characters to work with, I think maybe...
"How difficult?"
Would fit the tone and intention of the original, while fitting in the space.

Edit: Forgot to attach the patch.
Just applied the last patch Reld uploaded; no changes on my end. Just keeping things from getting split up and confusing.
Kirby's Super Star Stacker Beta10.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:39:21 am by TheDanaAddams »

VicVergil

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2019, 02:30:27 am »
There's probably a glitch in the story mode when "Dedede fires his cannon".
The artwork is slightly corrupted (with a white overlay)

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2019, 05:06:05 am »
Well spotted.
I wonder if it's related to the compression algorithms and the fact that we're skipping a couple of pages...