News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Testers needed: Kirby's Super Star Stacker English Patch  (Read 19048 times)

Reld

• View Profile
Re: Testers needed: Kirby's Super Star Stacker English Patch
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2019, 09:37:10 pm »
I've done a few more things today. The VS and Story tabs were bugging me, so I modified those a little.

I also modified the player stats pages. I reused the tab text to avoid having to abbreviate. Also moved the name over a little and got that apostrophe in there.

I put your graphics for the enemy names in the ROM, but apparently this isn't where they're used. The enemy name here is just letters from the regular 8x8 font. Makes me wonder if the game actually uses those tiles at all.

Did some work on the difficulty select screens.

I only took screenshots of the versions with the insane difficulty unlocked, but they're all done. As you can probably tell I like to avoid abbreviation wherever possible, so I modified the background to make room for the full mode names, and also moved the little Kirby head sprites over so I could fit "very hard" in there. I did have to make a bit of a compromise with the Round Clear version, putting the counter sprite outside the green area. Personally I think it looks fine, but I would understand if you disagree. It wouldn't be too hard to put everything back if you don't like it.

There's a cheat file that came with the starter pack tools that I used to make it easier to unlock the insane difficulty. "NP Kirby no Kirakira Kids (J).cht"

Here's yet another IPS patch: Link

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2019, 10:40:51 pm »
Looks absolutely fantastic to me! Total hero!
The Round Clear compromise isn't ideal, of course, but I agree that it looks fine.
I actually only used abbreviations where I had no choice, since I couldn't come up with something appropriate that would fit in the space, as I do agree that it looks... just kinda messy. (Or if I had to use an abbreviation elsewhere, I reused it for consistency.) So I'm actually really glad to see you fixed those problems! ^^

With the difficulty selects done, I think that means that - barring any issues that arise with testing, of course - the only untranslated text that is left should be... the enemy names for the story mode progress on the scores page, and the records screens that appear when your score is not a new #1 in Challenge, Story, and Time Attack.
Edit: Oh, right - there's also the selection box for the Story Mode Continue/Restart screen:

And the fact that it still refers to the Guest player as ゲスト in most instances, despite having been changed to 'None' on the Name Select screen. (Presumably it's stored internally as a default string.)

I also noticed on a quick test that what looks like it might be the N and D from the Round Clear tab label showing up in this specific Story panel:

I made the small changes of updating the already translated #1 spot Records pages to say "New Record!" and fixed the Records page for Time Attack to remove the unnecessary abbreviation.
I rolled that and your updates into a simplified Beta6 patch for everyone to download!
Kirby's Super Star Stacker Beta6.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 11:06:04 pm by TheDanaAddams »

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2019, 11:40:27 pm »
Thanks for the kind words! I'm having a lot of fun with this stuff. It kind of feels like solving a puzzle, combined with like... digital archaeology maybe?

The Round Clear compromise isn't ideal, of course, but I agree that it looks fine.
If it starts to bug you another alternative would be to change "very hard" to something shorter. I considered "harder" but I didn't want to mess with the translation part too much, and honestly I think I like "very hard" more anyway. I also thought about something like "whoa!" since it looks like the original was "sugoi"?

I actually only used abbreviations where I had no choice, since I couldn't come up with something appropriate that would fit in the space
Oh for sure. I didn't mean to imply that you just love abbreviations!  :laugh: Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

the enemy names for the story mode progress on the scores page
I'm looking into this right now. I found where the names are stored in the ROM. Even though the dark box on the scores page looks like it could hold up to ten characters, the names are actually capped at seven. That's not enough for some of the names, so I'm trying (and succeeding so far) to make the names use those graphics you made instead.

I also noticed on a quick test that what looks like it might be the N and D from the Round Clear tab label showing up in this specific Story panel:
That's... really weird. I'll see if I can fix that.

I'll look into the other stuff at some point too if nobody beats me to it.

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2019, 01:35:16 am »
Thanks for the kind words! I'm having a lot of fun with this stuff. It kind of feels like solving a puzzle, combined with like... digital archaeology maybe?
I totally feel you; I'm not nearly as skilled, and can't trace the compressed data back to a location in the ROM, but the little hacks I've done are really satisfying because it's identifying a thing you want to change, and solving the puzzle of how to make that happen!

If it starts to bug you another alternative would be to change "very hard" to something shorter. I considered "harder" but I didn't want to mess with the translation part too much, and honestly I think I like "very hard" more anyway. I also thought about something like "whoa!" since it looks like the original was "sugoi"?
The difficulty names are a little weird, and part of my decisions were based on the localisation of the original Star Stacker on Game Boy.
If you translate them literally, the Super Star Stacker difficulties are something like...
"The usual"
"Very much"
"Amazing"
"It's a mess"

I considered going for "Easy, Normal, Hard" but the English GB version's difficulties are "Normal, Hard, Very Hard, Super Hard" with the hidden "Insane" difficulty. I felt like consistency between the two versions was important in that sense, and "Normal, Hard, Very Hard, Insane" has a good logical flow in terms of how it steps up.

I'm trying (and succeeding so far) to make the names use those graphics you made instead.
Hah! Brilliant!
There's something remarkably cool about using them the way they were seemingly intended, when they weren't used that way in the official release for whatever reason.

Do be aware that I didn't see any text there for the hidden boss Gryll, and don't know if it lists her in that slot under any circumstances. If it does, I whipped up this matching text sprite. It's crammed into just two tiles, so hopefully it won't be difficult to fit. If you need to.

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2019, 02:14:07 am »
Ah nuts! I was just putting these files together when you posted. I noticed Gryll when I was cheating my way through story mode to test all of the names. She actually has two name entries in the list, though I don't know why. I changed them both just in case. I had already made a graphic trying to match your previous ones, but it looks like it's a little different in style from the one you made.

I spaced the letters in the names out a little. I'm impressed with how readable they actually were all crammed together to save space, but once I got them into the game it just seemed like too much so I fiddled with it until I got it to work. The graphics for Gryll's name are actually tacked on to the end of the small font graphics in some space that was empty. I haven't noticed any problems caused by that yet, and I don't think there should be any.

I also fixed those garbage tiles in story mode. No idea how those got there, but they're gone now.

Here's another IPS patch: Link
I made this one to be applied after the beta 6 patch you just posted.

I noticed this bit of untranslated text at the end of the game.

I don't know enough Japanese to know what it says. Probably another compressed graphic I'll have to track down later.

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2019, 02:32:40 am »
Your version looks better, really - I was deliberately squashing it together for space; if you were able to space it out more, it's preferable. (Though it is remarkable how little information is needed to represent a letter in a readable form!)

Good luck finding it!
The text is saying "The End...?" if you're curious.

Dzumeister

• Zaubermancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2019, 02:36:24 am »
Just wanted to pop in and say that it's amazing how much you all were able to get done over the past few days!  :cookie:
free sluffy

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2019, 05:21:06 am »
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 05:59:18 am by svenge »

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2019, 11:58:25 am »
I had an idea I'd like to get some feedback on. I've been thinking about this for a while, but especially after playing all the way through story mode last night and noticing that some of the text spills out of the text box (and sometimes causes glitches because it seems the game doesn't always redraw the parts outside the text box). I think adding an 8x16 font could potentially solve some space issues. Here are a couple of mockups. I haven't actually put these in the game, but I'm pretty positive it would work.

I made the new font myself, but it's basically just a condensed version of the original 16x16 one.

The thing is, in order to make this work without destroying the 16x16 English font (which this can't replace in all instances, nor do I think it should) I'd have to overwrite some of the Japanese characters. I think I can probably figure out how to make the naming screen only use the English alphabet, which probably would have happened in an official release anyway, but I don't know how you'd feel about losing functionality like that. All of the text that's changed to use the thinner font would need to be rewritten as well, which kind of sucks. There would be a lot more room though, so if there's anything you were forced to cut down you could flesh it out a bit more. I think I could probably create a table file that would let you edit the text in the text files like you have been.

I dunno. There are pros and cons either way.

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2019, 12:13:31 pm »
I think that while the larger font is more charming, it would be better to have the narrowed font in most instances.  The only exceptions I can think of would be the single-word headers, like the word "MENU" in the images you just posted.

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2019, 02:47:44 pm »
Found that ending text.

If the thinner font ends up being implemented I think it should mainly just be used for dialogue-type stuff like what I showed in my mockups. I think headings, even the longer ones, should keep the wider font. The difficulty options could use the thin one though to allow me to move those sprites back over.

svenge

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2019, 03:20:19 pm »
The thinner font would also solve the problem with the highlighted rectangular outline being too small for the Continue / Restart options when resuming Story Mode.

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2019, 04:54:07 pm »
I had an idea I'd like to get some feedback on. I've been thinking about this for a while, but especially after playing all the way through story mode last night and noticing that some of the text spills out of the text box (and sometimes causes glitches because it seems the game doesn't always redraw the parts outside the text box). I think adding an 8x16 font could potentially solve some space issues.

I made the new font myself, but it's basically just a condensed version of the original 16x16 one.
The giant text is something I always found less than ideal - the big wide letters make it less readable in English, but that's just what I had to work with, so I went with it.
When you squash it to 8x16, it actually looks and reads a lot better!

As you can probably tell, a lot of the story stuff is broken down to the rawest essence of what will fit while retaining the basic meaning; an 8x16 font would allow me to do another pass and refine it into something much more natural - which I love, as a writer!

I'm not at all opposed to losing the Japanese alphabets from the name entry at all, and it absolutely would have been removed from an official English version. One issue that will arise, though, is the default high score strings - a blessing and a curse, since they're things like "Kirby" which wouldn't fit with the 4 character 16x16 font. But it does mean that the strings have to be found and changed, and I don't know how hard that will be, especially when they have to be longer than the original 4 characters.
It would also allow the Guest name to actually say "Guest" and potentially expand the name input field from 4 characters to 8... but again, I'm not sure how hard that would be.

I'll start going through and working on a more fluid version of the 16x16 script as an 8x16 ready script.

Special request: An apostrophe for the 8x16 font. There isn't one, and it would really help the script. xD

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2019, 05:14:23 pm »
Yeah the names thing is a problem. In theory I think they could be expanded to eight thin characters. The strings for the names are stored in eight bytes, but every other byte is just $00, so I think the code could be modified to treat each byte as a separate letter. Eight letters wouldn't work on the player tabs on the score screen though. I think I could expand those to six, but that's it. The names on the VS Mode tab are locked in at four because there's just no room to expand them, so those would have to end up abbreviated. Regardless, I'm not totally confident that I can increase the number of letters for the names. It would be the most ASM work I've done so far. Worst case scenario, if I can't do anything about the names, "Kirby" just has to become something like "Krby" on the default high scores list.

Adding an apostrophe is totally doable. I'll get to work on it.

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2019, 05:31:06 pm »
Don't worry too much about expanding the names; it's not a major issue, and if it's going to cause issues, it's not worth the trouble to try and force it to work!

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2019, 08:35:53 pm »
I got the font inserted and working.

That's the only text I've changed. Obviously I don't think it should actually look like that. I just wanted to throw something together with all of the punctuation so you'll have a working example.

Here's a RAR file with an IPS patch and two text files: Link
The patch is intended to be applied after my last patch with the boss names. The text files are to replace the ones in the "table" directory.

The large text works the sames as it always did. For example:
Code: [Select]
[28]A1[28]A2
[28]A3[28]A4

The thin text works like this:
Code: [Select]
[28]A5
[28]A6

Same thing, only two fewer characters and the numbers are 5 and 6 instead of 1 through 4.

I think that should be enough to get you started, assuming I didn't screw anything up.

Edit: There's also a hyphen, or whatever you call that vertically centered dash. I just missed it when making the example text.

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2019, 08:44:16 pm »
Brilliant! I'll try to have the text redone ASAP!

One small question - if a page of text becomes superfluous (ie, with the condensed text, the english version can fit in 2 pages instead of 3) would it be difficult to skip over the empty one? Not sure how much work that would be, and having an empty page wouldn't be the end of the world. Just a nice little 'presentation' thing.

Reld

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2019, 08:53:50 pm »
I don't know how the number of pages is handled. If it makes sense to drop a page I'll look into it. There's probably a series of pointers or some kind of event code that I could hijack to make it skip a page.

I might still make some small changes to the font. I think those "i"s are leaning a little too much, and that "z" looks a bit too much like a small "2". I keep thinking it says "A shining star 200ms" :laugh: Shouldn't change anything for the text editing side of things though. I can also add more characters if there's any other punctuation/whatever that you need.

EDIT: Ugh. Somehow my enemy names patch broke the VS screen. The culprit was a sequence of $00 $08 bytes repeated like four times in an area I wasn't even working on, so no idea how that happened. I've fixed that, and also changed the default names to use English letters (though still 16x16 at least for now).

Note: The new default high score names won't show up if you're using an old save RAM file.

Here's the patch: Link

EDIT NUMERO DOS: I figured out how I broke the VS screen. It was those "garbage tiles" I removed from the story text. Those were the compressed VS screen tile map bleeding over into the uncompressed story text tile map. I got the VS screen tile map to compress down smaller so it doesn't do that anymore, but I'm going to wait on another patch until you're done with some of the story text. Your edits will probably break the VS screen again, but I already have the fix prepared so don't sweat it.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 01:16:20 am by Reld »

TheDanaAddams

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2019, 05:40:10 am »
So far, so good; I've gone back through everything and made the script changes; everything should fit and flow better, and I'm trying to avoid any spilling out of boxes. Just have to take care of the formatting and insert it into the ROM.
Hopefully won't be long, now; need to take a break, so I just wanted to give a status update.

EthansDreamLand

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2019, 05:49:36 am »
It's cool to see that this game is getting a English translation! I only played the Game Boy one and I want to try the SNES version, so it's cool to finally see the game in English! Can't wait for the official release!